NFL MVP Discussion

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tynimiller, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have no idea but when writers write about downplaying what Matt does it influences what other writers write and feel.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    100% agree with this.

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with this as well.

Sent from my Turbo 2.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Zeke, LeVeon Bell, Brady and Dak are my top 4.

6. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly...I couldn't care less about who wins league MVP. Football is the ultimate TEAM sport. A few years from now hardly anyone will even remember who won league MVP.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Johnson, Ryan, Bell, Rodgers, Zeke

Johnson has been amazing, especially considering he hasn't had the luxury of a great offensive line like Zeke. His ability to catch the ball down field makes him more of a complete player and more on par with Bell.

Matt Ryan has been nothing but finominal. He's thrown touchdowns to 13 different receivers despite having one of the biggest playmakers at receiver in Julio Jones for most of the season. His stats have also been off the charts.

Bell would probably be my #1 if he didn't have the suspension. Had he played at the same caliber he has for all 16 games he would well deserve the #1 spot. His patience and cutting ability are uncanny, it almost looks effortless, I've never seen a RB with his ability. Not to mention he's a double threat and can catch the ball down field.

Rodgers started out the season rough and had most wondering if he could even carry his team to the post season with a 4 & 6 record. Ever since he hasn't missed a beat and the Packers look like the team to potentially dethrone the Cowboys in the postseason If they manage to get by Detroit this weekend.

Zeke is a very impressive rookie. I hate the Cowboys but he's going to be a power house for years to come. His punishing running style coupled with open field speed is a deadly combination that seems almost unstoppable for more defenses. I personally think Zeke is a great RB that would prosper on any team where as Dak is protected by one of the best offensive lines I've ever seen which makes him seem better than he is. I still believe Dak would be a average QB on most NFL teams.

Honorable mentions: Brady, Stafford, Carr and Beckham.

Sent from my XT1585 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  8. Stook

Stook Newb

Dislikes Received:
  9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt Ryan, David Johnson, Tom Brady.

10. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For me, it belongs to Matt Ryan. David Johnson had a great statistical season, but the award is a popularity contest among playoff contenders. As such, I will be shocked if Brady doesn't get it.

However, why is that Carr's season is so easily dismissed after an injury that will cost him just one game after leading his team to the top of the toughest division in football? The contribution he made to his team was every bit as significant as that of Ryan, Brady, or Rodgers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

11. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  12. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Because on the big stage against KC (Nationally televised playoff implication game) he crapped the bed.

13. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tyron Smith

14. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No turnovers, a potentially tying TD Dropped in the 4th qtr of a close game, on the road, against an 11+ win playoff team doesn't necessarily read like crapping the bed. But the stat line sure is ugly and i didn't watch the game. When I looked it up, I was expecting to see Favre vs saints in 2010 NFC Championship.

The main reason I mentioned Carr is the irony of the popularity contest. Brady is suspended for 4 games (during which NE goes 3-1) and still is a front runner for the award. Meanwhile the media outlets define Carr's season with the broken bone not the exceeded expectations. Statistically, he falls short of Ryan and Rodgers...But most valuable shouldn't be about statistics.

My most valuable:
    1) Matt Ryan
    2) Derek Carr
    3) David Johnson

Sent from my XT1254 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

15. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    About the stats, yes and no. Your not the most valuable player in the league if your production is average. Especially with TD passes and efficiency. You have to do stuff on the field to translate into wins.

Im repeating myself obviously, but:

Carr had a great season, but in his biggest game he didn't play well, and his stats were slightly above average (INT% best thing he has going for him).

Brady, Rodgers, Ryan are all statistically better. They are better with the eye test too.

I truly believe Ryan's chances get hurt by the fact that he has the NFLs best receiver catching passes from him.

Brady is hurt by the suspension and Rodgers is hurt by his slump/4 game losing streak.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To say that stats do not matter do not pay attention the the NFL and the fantasy football industry. The rules about pass coverage and hitting the QB are driven by stats/scoring/fantasy football.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going with Matt Ryan as MVP. Thats my story and Im sticking to it. One of the most prolific offenses in NFL history that has been swept under the rug.

18. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fantasy football is the cause of all the changes? The NFL was sued for $1 billion by former players for brain injuries.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  19. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    MVP is a joke award these days. Give it to the Entire Oline of the Cowboys.

Rodgers played too poorly earlier this year IMO for him to deserve it. Biggest reason for the packers turnaround IMO is Ty Montgomery, combined with the Oline giving Rodgers all day to throw.

Disqualify Brady because of suspension missing 4 games.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The NFL was sued over CTE, thus the NFL's conclusion protocol. The rules on receiver contact have nothing to do with CTE and is driven by stats and scoring. QB's are protected because any NFL team that has their starting QB go down is pretty much hosed.