I'm very sure this isn't new, but perhaps it is. When a seasoned hunter says bedding.

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by eric.landry.7583, Nov 15, 2016.

1. eric.landry.7583

eric.landry.7583 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm at a loss as this is my first year (ever hunting) and despite my scouting, trail cams shots of both bucks & does and my very strict scent free regiment, as well as always obeying the wind direction. I might have seen two deer all season. I must not be setting up in the right spots. I understand bedding to be areas of very thick brush, laurels, and shrubs correct? When I study the topi's of these areas I'm hunting I look for those spots - that's bedding right? Then from there I should be placing myself somewhere in the direction of the oak trees correct (in other words somewhere between food & bed). I have also heard deer won't go straight up steep inclines so if I set up at the base of a very steep incline in front of a bedding area I should be at what some call a "pinch point" is this correct. I'm still trying to get this stuff straight. Any insight or additional explanation would be greatly appreciated.

D33pwoods of Maine

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And that's why it is called hunting. It is amazing what deer will walk through. Depending on food source and weather deer do not always bed or travel in the same places. You mentioned oaks... red or white? Did they make acorns? Lots or few? Other food sources? Rubs and scrapes in the area? Deer will often take the easier path but bucks tend to stay in more cover. Since you are new try to find a mentor or friend to help. Get to where you hunt with your eyes wide open. Just because you did not see a deer does not mean it was a wasted hunt. In the morning I want the sun to rise behind me so I pick locations with that and wind in mind. In the evening I want the sun to set behind me minding the wind. You will most likely catch deer going to feed at sunset and working their way to bed at sunrise.
    Cameras can also pattern movement for you. I have a doe who passes one of mine every three days going the same way at about 10:00. I put in another camera and it took me a month to just figure out where she was going. She goes to private land to a mineral lick tub for cows about noon every three days. Often alone. Go figure. So date, time and direction of travel and location marked on a calendar will help you learn their pattern. Then the rut and the Orange Army messes it all up.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    pinch points, ridges, water, food and what we think makes good secure bedding areas are just guidelines to get started with. It really takes time and being in the woods and watching to get a better idea of what the deer are doing. First year, I would be spending a lot of time walking and looking for alternate spots assuming others are not hunting. And get off the human trails and follow deer paths. I've found more spots that look good but end up not panning out, than I've found good spots. Last year I moved a stand 5 times before locating the spot I am using this year.

4. Thunder43

Thunder43 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm very sure this isn't new, but perhaps it is. When a seasoned hunter says ...

Hey Eric. I'm in the exact same boat as you brother. First year hunting and am learning this solo. Been out about 15 times and have seen just 2 does. One was out of range and the other walked up to 5 yards -- 2 days after doe season. I was just excited to finally see something. I'm hesitant to scout too much now and scent up my spots but I'm sure I may need to find alternative stand locations too. Getting tons of game on cam though. Will say im learning something every time I go out. Good luck man.

5. bowhuntinggirl

bowhuntinggirl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also look for tracks or rubs on trees weeks before you go hunting. I'm lucky enough that my parents have some land where I hunt, but going gun hunting (haven't tried bow hunting yet) I always go down earlier and look for tracks or rubs on trees. It particularly helps when it rains a few days before so it's a bit muddy, helps to see the tracks. Cameras help too but we've always relied on natures clues for us to know where the deer like to roam.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. BowHood

BowHood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bedding can be any where. Deer like to bed in advantage points. When I say advantage points I mean where a deer can detect you, but you can't detect them. Just last night the wife and I saw two does bedded in a pasture, the grass wasn't tall, but they could see anyone coming up the hill before we could see them. Also they were out of the howling wind as well. Also keep plugging away, it's called hunting not killing.

7. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Using google earth over bedding areas can be a good tactic to see the routes deer take. The area I hunt has clear paths on google earth in the bedding area the deer travel through. Just a thought, those google maps are updated pretty frequently from what I hear

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had exactly 0 luck using google maps, search, earth or anything connected with it. Guess I am not smart enough for this high tech stuff.

9. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It does not work on my Kindle any more (5years old) but my new "way smarter than me phone " can pull it up if I have a signal. Use it more when fishing to find changes in rivers and for places I have never been before the tournaments. Satellite sometimes shows you trails and breaks in terrain you can not pick out without a birds eye view. Useful tool.