Out of say 300 kills on this site, there are only 6-10 pass through shots?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by steintp, Dec 16, 2016.

1. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you had put a bowtech sticker over them the arrow would always be in the tree behind the deer after you shot. Now, you being a teammate of mine, I say, go out and let's test the sticker theory so we can lay this post to rest for good. lol

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  3. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They never get good penetration.....
    I blame it on those fuzzy hats they wear.

BowHunters Only
    Like and share

4. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All three deer I've shot with the NAP Spitfire Maxx's COC were perfect placement with the two angled and the one perfect broadside shot. None of those deer went more than 90 yds and I only shoot 50 pounds with my Mission Ballistic. Most of it is placement and I didn't get a pass thru on any of those shots but the deer still didn't go far. I'm sticking with these spitfire maxx's come next year again. Pass thrus don't matter to me when one hole is leaving an insane blood trail like those heads are. Deer don't go far at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Deerslayer214

Deerslayer214 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a z7 with 60# limbs at 29 draw for a few years and had multiple pass through shots on Illinois deer. Shot a couple through both shoulders with the 3 blade rage. The guys on BHorD are probably smaller guys shooting low poundage with big cut heads. But the short draw length coupled with a shorter arrow can kill the momentum.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Louisiana Purchase Broadhead so the last doe I shot I had to pick up the two pieces laying there....was a bloody mess.

7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man you guys are killing me, I'm running out of space to put stickers on my bow. Already have couple muzzy stickers, to hide the fact I shoot rage so they'll open every time, few Chris Brackett stickers so I can shoot 60+ yards on anything and not feel bad no matter the outcome or if recover the animal, and now I gotta cover Mathews up so I can get a complete pass through to know I'm shooting a good bow.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Another shot this week without a total pass thru. EEK! Good thing the deer sprayed blood everywhere for 100 yards and then died.

9. bradn4201

Dislikes Received:
    100 yards? If you had the Louisiana Purchase/Nature Boy Blaster cut on contact/expandable/exploding broadheads( in 125 grains of course) that deer would have died right there on the spot.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you use those heads the deer just lay down on the spot because they know they are as good as dead.

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Using those takes all the fun out of it. The deer just line up at my truck when I pull in, letting me choose which one gets to go home with me. It's like going to the market instead of hunting.

12. bradn4201

Dislikes Received:
    Buy some, we need the points and about 150 class deer. lol

13. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol pass threw or not if the deer dies quick and you recover it that's a win.

Mike4christ

14. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go back and watch the episodes where justin shoots his bucks in season one. He talks about the "hype" over mechanicals, and how there is nothing better than a good ole fixed blade.

I will never shoot mechanicals, but thats my decision. I commend the BHOD guys for not wounding many deer regardless of whats on the end of the arrow. Justin's stats said it all. I dont know why we need to further beat it to death. If you can make a clean, quick and ethical kill on an animal, fixed or mechanical aside, then its a success in my eyes. Keep doing what you are doing guys, I'm a fan.

15. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find that field points get the best penetration...anyone else?

16. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent point. Pun intended.

17. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does the Rage have issues with premature deployment? I opted for Spitfire Maxx's (1-3/4" cut) figuring the smaller cut diameter would increase my ability to get pass-thrus while minimizing early opening. Both my kills this year were pass-thrus - one 100%, one 2 holes and broken offside foreleg. This seems acceptable to me. No tuning changes were necessary when moving from my field points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This..............

19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never had a Rage Hypo w/shock collar open in flight or quiver, but it's possible esp. if you're re-using one that's been shot a few times. I stopped using them b/c on 2/3 deer I shot with them I had blades snap at the collar notch while inside the animal. I got pass throughs on both broadside kills- on one the blade snapped inside when it hit the offside rib. The other passed through both sets of ribs vertically without hitting any bone and was intact on the ground. The 3rd (the only non pass through) a blade did snap without hitting any bone at all- the shaft was buried almost completely inside the body cavity on a sharp quartering away angle. The shaft made entry in the paunch a few inches in front of the near side hip and just poked out between the offside ribs right behind the elbow (lung shot.) Figured if a blade breaks on entry without hitting bone you might as well be shooting a really sharp field tip so I stopped using them.

20. PAtoMT

PAtoMT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Halon 6 and almost every single shot is a pass through. I used to shoot 390 grain arrows with rage 2 blade and it went through them great. I'm shooting a 452 grain arrow with slick trick magnum's right now and it's like they aren't even there. The broadheads make the biggest difference in my opinion. Rage opens them up for a much bigger hole and blood trail but the slick tricks are the best if you hit them forward or quartering away.