Best bow for 1st timer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Melton139, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Melton139

Melton139 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just started getting into hunting this year, never really had people tto go with growing up mostly just spent my time bass fishing and racing motocross. Anyways I am wanting to really get into it next season, been a few times this year, and I am wondering what would be the best bow to get for a starter. I'm not looking to spend a ton because I have a baby and not positive I'll be able to invest as much time as I want into it. Therefor I am wanting to stay in the $200 to $400 range. Any recommendations on what to buy or should I look into buying a used one off Craigslist or something? Also what brands are the best and worst? Any info would help thanks!

2. MasterHunter

MasterHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PSE Full Throttle 70lb limbs

3. 95grvrMotive6

95grvrMotive6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to a shop shoot a bunch see what's comfortable and in your price range. I have not owned a diamond infinite edge but have shoot a friend's before I got to buy my own. But for $350 it does the job

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You need to visit a good shop and have them fit you as to draw length and weight. Then at that price you will have to generally look at the used market. There are a few starter bow packages, like the G5 Quest Radical, that will give you a good place to start.
    Be careful...... it is addicting!!!! Good luck.

5. Bowman92

Bowman92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started with a PSE vision great bows im upgrading to a mathews this summer my vision was 500 for everything

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. DakotaWoodsman

DakotaWoodsman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Samick Sage

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7. Beetle Bailey

Beetle Bailey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started with a ****s Sporting goods special (Martin I think). It was a Ready to hunt set up. It was cheap and work for my needs at the time. Years later I upgraded to a Mathews Z7 (once I had more time to hunt and shoot)
    A buddy of mine still uses his **** sporting goods one, he says if it ain't broke don't fix it...

I do see some deals on Craigslist from time to time. But definitely get fitted and figure out if you want to use a release or not...
    I recommend a release

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a few good selections but elk guide said you need to make sure it fits you. The Diamond Infinite Edge Pro is a great starter bow and will adjust to just about any shooter and its in the top of your price range. There are a few others out there too but I have shot the infinite edge pro and for the price it a great bow. PSE Has the Stinger X, Bear has the Cruzer. Mission and Hoyt also have a few good selections. You want be getting a Corvette but a Chevette will get you to work every day right? Simply meaning you don't need the most expensive blow out there to get the job done. Besides its good to start with a low investment to make sure you are up to the challenge. I hope you are. Good luck.

9. Hammerin Hank

Hammerin Hank Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would check out the Hoyt Ignite. To me it looks less like a kids bow that some of the other beginner options.

10. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mission makes a couple of good bows. Make sure you get a 7+ inch brace height.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

11. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do everything stated above like go to local archery shop and get your draw length and poundage accurately measured. I use a Mission Ballistic I got from my uncle as my first real bow and it's awesome, definitely would recommend for a starter bow. But all in all, shoot a bunch and see what you like.

12. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to a good bow shop and they may have a selection of older bows on consignment or trade ins. But like said before getting fit is best knowledge and shooting a lot of the bows to get what feels best

13. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As stated above, find a good pro shop. Getting the proper fit is crucial. There are a lot of good "starter" bows out there. You should be able to find one in your price range.

SCFox

14. cjoh101

cjoh101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For the money, you can't beat the Diamond IE Pro. It was my first bow purchase last year, and was finally able to launch an arrow at a deer today. 20 yards and a complete pass thru, couldn't be more satisfied with this bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
Tags: