Picking the right arrows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by remist17, Dec 20, 2016.

1. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 62# @ 28.5" and have found 3 arrows that will come out to 433g without a lot of fuss. 2 of them are cheapies but have worked well for me.

Easton Carbon Raiders w/ 3" vanes carbon to carbon 28.5" 340 spine
    Carbon Express Heart Attacks w/ Raptor vanes c2c 28.5" 350s
    Beaman ICS Hunters w/Blazers c2c 29" 340s

The Eastons and CEs above are ****s branded and $24.99 per half dozen. I have 11 out 18 Easton Carbon Raiders in my bucket and 12 of them were bought in 2004. Was shooting 70# until July 2016.

All of them average 433g, most right on but all within 430-435g. I can switch off between any of those three and not mess with my tune or HHA.

I'm pretty sure the Carbon Raiders and Beamans are the same and you can get the Carbon Raiders with 3-4" vanes or blazers, they're just $30 cheaper. The Heart Attacks are basically the CE Mutiny.

I have a dozen each of GT Velocity XTs and Velocity Hunters. Can't get them to weigh what I want, mine have been non durable and the nocks have give me trouble. Bought both dozen in July and out of 24 arrows of the GTs I have 7 or 8 left. If you like the GTs, Bass Pro's Blackouts are basically the same.

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the recommendation from the Easton Tuning Guide when choosing arrow length, spine, etc. It has served me well.

It's free to download. Just have to Google it.

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for taking time to help me. I went last night and looked at the bow and arrows. My draw length is 29" and arrow length is 30". Arrow is measured from end of insert to nock .
    Shooting bear authority.

So am i calculating my arrow weight correctly?
    8.9gr/in = 267
    shooting a 100 grain head
    367 grain arrow?

Is this ok for whitetail at 60# pull?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  4. Jay Pope

Jay Pope Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget to take into account the weight of the nock, insert & vanes when calculating total arrow weight.

They will be around 30-40 grains +/-.

So your TAW (total arrow weight) will be in the low 400's. Most likely 402-406 grains.

This should work with your setup but I would recommend you either getting a 25grain gold tip weight add on that screw into your inserts or move up to 125 grain broadheads. That way your FOC (front of center) is a higher percentage. I like 13% or greater personally.

Hope this helps.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    if you put it in the boiler room and don't his hard bone like shoulder yes. At 30 inches of arrow you might need a 300 spine arrow vice a 340. But if you already have them I would shoot them to see how they group.

6. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks all! we will see how they do.

7. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you know the year and model of your Bear, I'll plug all of your info into Ontarget2 and it'll give me all the info.

I put in a 2015 Bear Traxx which has a 338 IBO.

I used the XT Hunter XTH7595 which came up as .340 spine and 8.9g/in. There was also XT Hunter Black, XT Hunter Camo & XT Hunter Crested which had different specs. Since you measured to the nock throat I subtracted 1/4" to get carbon to carbon and used 29.75" as length. You may have mentioned it but I didn't catch it but also assumed the GT Acculite nocks which are only 8.3g. All my GTs came with those.

Ontarget comes up with 406g with a 100g head, 15g insert, 3 X 6g vanes and 8.3g nock and 29.75" of carbon @ 8.9g/in.

With a 2015 Bear Traxx:
    Optimal Spine = .3427
    FOC = 11.61%
    Grs/LB = 6.656
    KE = 68.29

I can easily change this to the right bow.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016