***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brother in law went to find a spot for opening day rifle. This is freshened up right by my stand. I'm not hunting on opening day....now him and our Grandfather are rock-paper-scissoring over who takes it.

FB_IMG_1480192455465.jpg

2. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Seems our team has fallen off into busy land. Anyone still hunting?

3. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shotgun season in Iowa this weekend. I plan on taking out a lot of built up frustration.

4. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be going out tomorrow, but with the rifle and not the bow. Land owners wife asked me to get her a fawn because her husband didnt want to shoot one. I was going to give away the doe tag because I had no intention on using it, but now I have a reason.

5. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Worst hunting season ever. that is all...

6. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well forgot to report this but I got a nice fawn just at legal shooting light. I'll post the pics after I take my chem exam today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I got a nice size doe Saturday with my slug gun. Pure luck, I had my eyes shut, it was freezing and I heard something. I look up and four deer are right in front of me, 30 yards maybe! So after fumbling around and getting my gun up (and got busted by the one) - I was able to choose the largest doe and shoot. Was able to recover and finally get meat in the freezer. Dang thing fell in a ravine though - so that was NOT fun. Hunting seasons have switched and I'm now onto waterfowl. Went duck hunting yesterday on Lake Erie. The push is starting so it was an exciting first hunt on a lake for me.

8. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well ill be getting out one last day with the bow this weekend to try for a buck. I apologize in advance if I don't get a buck this year. I am happy i was able to contribute a doe to the team at least. This year was definitely better than the last 2 years combined. I also got some good snow last night and where I hunt, I only get maybe 1 or 2 days to hunt in the snow so itll be a rare treat tomorrow.

9. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    No need to appologize! They aren't guaranteed! I only got a doe - I was tickled pink to finally be able to contribute points at all!

Good luck when you do get out. I am most likely done unless the buck that is still rubbing a tree behind my house decides to make it a daily thing. Putting a camera out today after work.

10. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well went out and saw a 7 doe at the end of the day including one piebald that is about 95% white. Landowner asked me not to shoot it, so it obviously got the pass as well as the other doe, since I already have 2 in the freezer. Pulled my stands at both properties and saw some amazing sign at the second property I hunt. Some of the best sign I saw from deer was 15 yards from my tree stand. Saw some absolutely huge tracks as well. While I was scouting for next season I found the 2 biggest rubs ive ever found. Also spoke to the neighbors and got some great information on how to make money on property and am looking forward to putting an offer on a place in February. Ill post the pics in a little while

11. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! Just wanted to say sorry for laying a goose egg this year. The public ground I was on was just infested with hunters day in and day out. I'm on a new piece of private ground that I'm going to start prepping for next year. Doing my first camera pull tonight to see what I'm working with. I did, however, fill the freezer with a good sized doe during first season shotgun here in Iowa, so I wont be starving. Hope everybody has an awesome 2017! This isn't the last you've heard of me--I promise.

12. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Since we are not in the top (at least my calculations), figured I'd pop this up one last time. Wanted to thank everyone for another season well done. Our last archery day was this past Saturday. Unfortunately, bucks were starting to drop antlers around here and I already filled my doe tag so I wasn't going to try it. (Have got in some duck and goose hunts though!).

This season has created some new memories with myself. I finally painted my first set of archery leaves - shooting my first doe. That excitement was great. Sadly, like most know - it ended in heart break with the dang coyotes - but being able to connect and recover was a huge success for me. This was my fifth season (third full season). I am truly hoping to get an even better season in this upcoming year. Some changes with our normal routines will allow us to scout more and we got some ins to some new property (and unfortunately lost the one close to home). Looking into upgrading the ole Mathew's to an Elite, too. So we will see!

Thanks again everyone for the great team, I had fun :)

13. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would also like to take the time to thank everyone for being my team mates and always giving advise when some one asks. I would also like to say that if any of you find yourselves in NYC, I would be more then happy to take you around to see some sights as long as I'm not bombed with school work. I definitely had a good season this year and had a few firsts with me (like calling in 2 bucks) or spotting a Fischer.