My Bent Hoyt **Updated**

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Brandon_OH, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Brandon_OH

Brandon_OH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    All of his litter mates were close in size. Both the mom and dad were large dogs at over 100lbs each.

Well, Hoyt is going to warranty the bow so it should get all fixed up. Perhaps I will even get a new bow string outta the deal :lol:

BTW the store was D ick's Sporting Goods and they really take care of the bow as anyone would expect. They stepped up and gave me a "loaner" and got the bow into qualified hands for repair. I am very happy with the service as it could have been a total disaster!

Kudos to the Customer Service at D ick's Sporting Goods. Although I will never have a bow worked on there, even if it as simple as a peep sight install. I will go back for supplies and toys :lol:

2. Brandon_OH

Brandon_OH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, Hoyt will not cover my bow under warranty due to the fact that tech bent it. D ick's Sporting Goods asked if they could pay cost for a riser and, according to D ick's, Hoyt refused. My bent bow is on it's way back to me and I get 300$ store credit towards any bow. I am pretty pissed. The best I could find in their limited selection was a Reflex Growler or Diamond Rock. The Diamond was like 500$ the Reflex was like 450.

What do you all think? Which bow should I go for as I have no idea. I also think it is POOR of Hoyt to not even allow D ick's to buy the riser at cost. Sounds like some bad blood between D ick's and Hoyt but me as the customer is paying for it. I am going to call Hoyt and see what I can find out. In the meantime, I really could use some help with bow selection.

3. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I can tell you this Hoyt owe's nothing that is for sure. You think they could of worked something out seeing Hoyt owns Reflex and ****'s sells that product.
    How much was your hoyt?

4. Brandon_OH

Brandon_OH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Hoyt owes nothing. I was just hoping they would let me or D ick's buy the parts at cost.

It is a Magnatec 2003. I recall it being about 350-400$.

The harsh part is that Magnatec is my very first bow and I panned to upgrade next summer to a Katera.

Going to be a tough sell now as the wife will think I have a "Brand New" bow.

5. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would see what you could pick up a riser for from Hoyt or look for the same model used and barter the gift certificate.

6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Keep an eye on Ebay also. I can tell you my Magnatec from 2000 will only go for $150 so I think you got a pretty fair shake for $300.
    I also see you have the zr200 limbs which were not the top limbs hoyt sold at the time.
    But the prob is you have to buy from ****'s.

Here is one for sale as an example with the xt2000 limbs:
    http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=591908

7. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That stinks that they are giving you store credit. I would look to see if you can find anyone looking to spend that much money in the near future and let them have it in exchange for cash. Then you might be able to go to an authorized Hoyt dealer and get the riser.

8. Tribal

Tribal Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a bad story sorry to hear that. I would definetly try and get the bow you want. Good luck my friend.

9. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would tell them that you are using the loaner till you spend the store credit. If you can't sell the credit to someone else for cash tnen I would use the loaner through the end of this season and save up over the summer to pay the difference for hte bow you want to get!

10. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I kind of agree with you.

11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I quess we know why the tech left for the day.

I am assuming he was fired over this,any word on that? NO WAY should he have left like that,and there is no way he didn't know it happened.

12. Brandon_OH

Brandon_OH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok final update.

D ick's gave me a 2008 Reflex Growler for 140$ out of my pocket. I did a bit of research and it appears that the Reflex Growler and Hoyt Powerhawk are more or less the same bow. Actually, they are almost identical. The Growler even has Hoyt branded items on it. I should not be suprised as Reflex is owned by Hoyt.

I am pretty bummed out as that Hoyt Magnatec was my first bow. I planned up getting a Katera or Alpha Max next summer. I am not as upset that they broke it as I am that this whole fiasco screwed up my plans to buy a new bow. I will just have to postpone my plans a bit as the Ministry of Finance (Wife) will not approve another bow purchase next summer.

A good friend of mine told me to look at it like this:

If you were to ebay your Hoyt Magnatec you would have gotten maybe 200-250$. D ick's Gave you 310$ for it. Now they should have done more but you did not get a bad deal.

Let me just say I was NOT hyped up about this bow when I got to the range. After 30 minutes I could not put it down. It draws so smooth and is extremely quiet. I launched 30 or so arrows to let my freshly installed G5 peep settle a bit before the string needed a twist. In that time, was holding tighter groups than I have ever held with my Hoyt. All I can say is this bow is no joke. It is short at 32" and weighs nothing at 4lbs but balances really well and feels very stable in full draw. I am 5'6 and the shorter axle length is something I welcome. It is very fast even with the heavy carbons I shoot in the Easton ST Epics. Great bow.

I cant wait to get out Sunday!

--Brandon