New bow or upgrade accessories on an old bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by thelosthomesteader, Dec 15, 2016.

1. thelosthomesteader

thelosthomesteader Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here is my dilemma. I am shooting a 1996 PSE NOVA. I am trying to decide if I should just replace the strings and upgrade all of my accessories or buy a new bow and cheap accessories. My budget is limited. What do you guys think?

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am one to hold on to a good thing but what has transpired in the past 20 years, it does merit the upgrade to the new technology. You will be amazed at how smooth, quiet and all around awesome the new bows are. Now that is coming from one who still regularly shoots my 1982 Martin Dynabo. My go to bow is a 2011 model even though I have newer bows, that one just fits me best and has all of the new attributes. So let the fun begin and get out there and find the new bow that fits you the best.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that there is definitely a good reason to upgrade to a newer bow, I used to shoot a PSE Baby G and when I switched it was like night and day difference. If funds are limited, I would suggest getting a bow in the 2010-2012 range. I know more Mathews models so I would suggest a z7 extreme and entry level accessories.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I replaced my 1995 bow last year. I could have gotten away with only buying new arrows and rest and reused everything else if I had wanted but bought all new because I wanted to let a nephew use the old bow for his first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am upgraded last year from a 2004 PSE deer hunter to a Hoyt Charger. The difference is amazing. Upgrade. I kept my old bow as back up and for nostalgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The leaps in technology and materials in compound bows since 96 are measured in light years.
    If you took and figured what you would spend in upgrades( some things can't be upgraded, I.e. older style whisker biscuits are no longer made)
    You could probably come pretty close to a used bow from 5-6 years ago that would still out perform any upgrades to your current bow.

7. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would buy a new bow. like others have said the technology is so far ahead of your bow. if you have kept your bow that long buy a new bow maybe even get a ready to shoot package and then upgrade the accessories over the next few yrs seeing that you keep a bow for 20yrs anyways

8. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely look at a new bow, even if it is a used model from the past two years. My Carbon Overdrive is still amazing to me (it is 3 years old now) and I paid 600 for it when they were going for 800 in the stores. Last spring I shot the HTX by Matthews, and it was all I could do to not sell my other bows and buy that one. I'm watching EBay and seeing those now for much more reasonable prices. If I wasn't so broke I would already have one, but definitely won't be paying full price for a new bow anytime in the near future.

9. thelosthomesteader

thelosthomesteader Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Can anyone recommend a good site for used bows

10. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can browse the FS/T forum here.
    Lots of bows on AT and even eBay.
    Where ever you buy look for one that will let you return it if on eBay or a good rep on the forums.
    One to look for if you can find it in your specs is a Hoyt Katera , man what an awesome bow and I regret selling it.
    You'd never know it was a 2008.

11. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also once ATA comes about people are going to sell to get the new hotness.

12. Brooks23

Brooks23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The Hoyt charger packages are good deals for the price but just remember that new accessories can be moved to a new bow in the future and you would have a better rest and sight than the package comes with

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums