Good starter camera?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by primetime_Deion, Dec 13, 2016.

1. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I just got serious about bowhunting the last couple years and have taken a good amount of deer now. I want to start capturing my hunts on film. It's nice to be able to review footage to look for shot placement and where the deer went after the shot. Definitely not easy to self-film, but just most of of you, I'm ready for the challenge. I am a college student (on a budget) and was wondering if anyone knows of a good camera for the price that won't be too expensive, maybe in the $100-$200 range, unless there is good ones for cheaper. I don't want one that's just cheaper, but reliable as well with good quality that can start me on a good track for filming that maybe some of you have or have had that would recommend getting? Thanks

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the Canon refurbs. The R series cams are in your price range and while limited low light and no LANC remote hook up they'll do the job you want to start....and if you enjoy it you have a 2nd angle camera for the future.

3. primetime_Deion

Dislikes Received:
    alright I will definitely check those out, thanks a lot

4. SkyThumper

SkyThumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
  5. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    it depends on what your looking to accomplish. the new tactacams look like they will give you great footage espically with the zoom feature. most action cameras like gopro's arent great for filming hunts. the wide angle lense makes a 10yd deer look like its at 50 yds. the canon r series is priced for you and they take good footage in hd. they are a basic camera but wont break the bank if you decide you dont like filming which could happen.

6. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  7. primetime_Deion

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, thanks guys! Yeah I was thinking less than around the $200 range for me just for a start. I was looking at the tactacams cuz those would be simple as they move with your bow so you don't have to worry about letting back your bow if deer gets out of frame. I just didn't think they quite captured the best footage for the price they are, but I haven't seen the new zoom feature so I'll have to look at that as well. They do make things easier. Thanks for the help guys. I am looking to get good footage I can review right on stand if possible to see shot placement and where the deer ran after.

8. Mr.BowJangles

Mr.BowJangles Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just upgraded cameras and have a Canon HF S20 for sale. Asking $350. Great starter camera with room for upgrades (LANC port for remote, mini hot shoe for shotgun mic, ect). PM me if you are interested.