post production zoom

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by drslyr, Dec 10, 2016.

1. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you post production experts know of a way to zoom up footage say from a go pro without too much distortion? Or can it even be done?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I downloaded the Go Pro editing studio on my laptop. You can zoom in with it but it does distort if you zoom too much. It is a little complicated to work with but it can be done

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

3. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started out shooting in 720p @ 240fps. The camera was placed about 20 feet away from impact. Zooming in sucked. The next deer, I shot at 2.7k or 1440p at about 12 feet from impact. Zooming didn't degrade the footage as much.

The key points are that you can't have the camera 30 yards away from where you hit the deer, and shoot in the highest resolution. No way to zoom a gopro in that far without it looking like crap. Well there is a way, but it involves replacing the stock lens on the gopro - not something I'd want to do.

720p - 7point - YouTube

2.7k - 5point - YouTube

5. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Post zooming is mostly just cropping the image. Not the same as zooming in a lens in the field. Shooting in a higher resolution will help but still better to use a camera in the field to zoom close.

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do all of my editing in Premiere Pro. Post "zooming" is simply a scaling factor of the image. It works best if you are shooting footage in a higher resolution than you are processing the image. For example, I often shoot in 1080 but post process in 720 if it is going to an internet upload like Facebook or Youtube. If you do that you can retain good quality on your post image. But even then there reaches a point of diminishing returns.

That image from the Gopro at 2.7k is very good. I am not a big fan of GoPro footage, but that image that you posted is very good.

7. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't a fan either after I mounted it to my xbow and practiced at 30 yards. Quickly determined that I'd have to mount it to a tree and hope that was where I shot the deer. Thought I'd activate it using wifi from my phone - nope. 20 foot range on wifi. Settled with 2.7k linear to remove the fisheye while shooting and not have to do it post-production.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For reference, here's an image that gives you an good idea of how far you can crop and not lose image quality when going from one resolution to another.

[​IMG]

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man....I truly wish 4K wasn't so dang expensive LOL! Great image Fitz. Only decent priced one I've ever found is the Panasonic HC-WX970 4k Ultra HD Camcorder...and know zero about it. (see below post as wrong one here)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As a matter of fact this is the one IF any I'd grab if I knew Panasonics better.....no clue if lanc or varizooom hook up capable.

HC-WXF991K - PanasonicB2C