Leased Land...

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by BearTruth517, Dec 12, 2016.

1. BearTruth517

BearTruth517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My family and I lease two pieces of property, one with woods surrounded by corn, the other is hay. The 60 acre property with the woods/corn has given us plenty of photos of multiple different bucks, but few does this year(at one time I could have up to 6 does in one photo). This past season, we saw a total of 4 deer, two doe and two different bucks. Early in the season the corn came down, then the fields were turned. We barely saw deer and know the woods have acted as a bedding area in the past. Any thoughts on what I can do to improve the property? I wanted to try planting a plot in between the rows of corn or maybe a group of apple trees upon this hill. The woods at times to be standing water throughout depending on Mother Nature. I wanted to keep an eye on photos through the off season, to do some work come spring. Any ideas? I do have mineral sites that have been worked over the years, plenty of sign, but most activity had been evening or late night. Thanks!

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    . Provide food year round and ensure they have adequate cover and if the deer are there they will hang around. Over simplifying I know but that's what matters. In the corn you can try over seeding with cereal rye. That should push through the winter and if sprayed prior to replanting corn can add nitrogen to the soil.

Just make sure the lessor is ok with it first.

3. BearTruth517

BearTruth517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There is plenty of cover, between thick brush and tall grasses on either end of the property. I also supplement with Big Tine when out of season. I will check with the property owner and see what he thinks. How early in the season should I plant the cereal rye?

4. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends where you are located.

That hay field may feed more deer than you think. They don't like grass but will appear to be eating grass in fields. It's certain forbs they are after you can't see from a distance. I have seen deer within thirty yards of cows, eating in the same pasture and asked someone wth is the deal with deer eating grass. LOL.

Along with the cereal rye, I would spike it with crimson clover. It'll grow about anywhere. Also, any birms or between tire tracks on roads, you may want to ask permission to do some varieties of perennial clovers as well. Clover will be the first thing green they have to eat in early spring.

Sawtooth oaks grow really fast and put out mast at young ages, too. You can get seedlings pretty cheap if you shop around. You may want to consider some soft mast trees as well, but I'm not sure what varieties there are.

5. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Post an aerial photo...

2016 Hoyt Defiant 30 Ridge Reaper
    Easton FMJ 400
    125 Gr. Muzzy Trocars
    Sure-Loc Lethal Weapon Max
    Trophy Taker Nock Down Pro

6. BearTruth517

BearTruth517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

You should be able to overseed in Sept/Oct maybe a little earlier but really depends on where you are.

8. BearTruth517

BearTruth517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info, another thought I have is to seed the tractor road that the farmer just redid to access the smaller field in the top right corner of the photo