-40 degree wind chill this weekend... boom or bust?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by usmc0317, Dec 13, 2016.

1. usmc0317

usmc0317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have probably 6 or 7 bucks that are over 150 inches and besides seeing a couple of them during the rut we haven't had ONE daylight picture of any since Halloween. Everything is at least 2 hours from shooting light, but they all survived gun season and are hitting our plots around the farm at night. We have an extremely high deer density and even the does are first getting up at last light. Our property is surrounded by 200 acres of cut corn which may be the reason but we are hoping to start seeing some earlier movement in our food plots soon.

By Sunday there should be around 12-16" of snow on the ground, a huge pressure spike, and extremely cold temps. I am going to give it a go, if there is any day to kill one of them I would say Sunday would be the day. Or am I completely out of my mind?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I won't be outside other than to feed horses and grab firewood. Too dang cold I hate the winter wind.

3. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dress warm and be safe!

sent from my mini hand held phone

4. TN Natural Born Killer

TN Natural Born Killer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If the wind ain't right it's definitely not worth going in there. No matter how good the other conditions are the wind will destroy you before you ever get in the tree. Hey man I bet the deer will move though. I had a decent little 3&1/2 year old 8point chasing a doe in the field I hunted tonight and eventually it got so foggy I couldn't see him at 30 yards I could just hear him grunting. It was raining straight down this evening with wind gusts up to 15 mph. One of my favorite times to hunt.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. Deerhunter 28

Deerhunter 28 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This ^^^^

If wind is right go get them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. usmc0317

usmc0317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The wind is going to be perfect to hunt almost every food plot on the farm. Then again we have sets for any possible wind. Our land is setup perfect for entry and exit from almost every stand.

7. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where I'm @ we've had 35" of snow & unseasonably cold temps over the last two weeks. My stand is located over a 2 acre corn plot & I have had more daylight pics in the last two weeks of shooter bucks than I have all season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to get out last weekend. Figured Sat would have been a good bet before the Snow hit. Unfortunately family schedule didn't allow that to happen. This Saturday doesn't look that bad according to the forecast. Snow overnight Friday into Saturday morning. High Saturday of 18 with 11mph winds making a windchill of 5. Hoping to get out around midday for an afternoon sit.

Won't have to worry about having ice ready like earlier this year.

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy hunted in the WI doe-only hunt last weekend on the ground from a place not far from my usual spot. He said he saw shooter 8+s (130+) every afternoon, calm as could be, walk right past my favorite tree. His buck tag is filled and it was doe only, so all he could do was shake his head and laugh. And send me texts since I was hunting in MI instead looking to shoot a wall hanger. I had planned to be up there until we realized it was doe only. Let's just say I now really hate that WI doe only hunt...

10. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get out there.