How High is too High?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rugger, Dec 12, 2016.

1. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm usually at least 20', most of the time higher depending on cover. Most of my 20' sits have great cover behind me & in front of me. I have one sit that's measured 33' but I have little cover there I only shoot 30yrds there, anything closer gets into brush & vital shrink.

2. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best angle is ground level, they bleed out of both holes! I will hunt up to 12-15 feet.

3. SkyThumper

SkyThumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bowsage, the kill zone is bigger at ground but I think a low exit wound bleeds out better than a horizontal entrance and exit half way up the chest. The chest cavity has to fill up as opposed to pouring out a bottom chest wound. Just my thoughts !

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. Thwackthwackthwack

Thwackthwackthwack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am sitting at 12-15, and realized this year a major flaw of my stand is that on a small burl about 20 yards from my stand deer can easily pick me off. Though I have also shot a deer of that same spot, I beleive i need to better conceal my stand

5. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think good cover is more important than height... Just my .02

6. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And distance for that matter... Just MHO

7. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where was the sun? I ask this because to many hunters setup without taking this into consideration. It should be behind you. I have stand sites that work in the morning but I am busted in the evening and vice - versus on others. Some sites because of Terrain are good all day long. In Kansas wind is key in site selection so that will casue choice of set up. Shooting lanes and entry / exit routes play a part as well.

Just trying to get higher to cover up poor stand site will cause you to have less targeting choices. Double lung is best for recovery... after 20 feet in height that becomes pert near impossible at 30 feet your target is baseball sized and short of spine shot odds of recovery are rising against you.

I will risk being busted at 16 feet than wounding a deer at 30 feet any day.

8. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt 15ft ladder stands, 20' hang on, and 25-30' climber all seem to have the risk of getting busted depending on weather, and surroundings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both lungs aren't always a must, as this pic shows. Too high up, too tight into the tree, not a problem. This guy was maybe 10 yrds out.
    This second deer was about 10yrds out and I was 30' up. One lung and the heart.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Type of tree and cover dictate how high I sit. I've had trees I sat in where I was only 12 feet up as it was better cover than going higher. Usually though I like to be in the 15-18 feet range.

One thing I've noticed a lot though is people mis-judge how high they really are frequently. I've had guys tell me they were 20 feet up but when I saw the stand they were really only about 14-15 feet. I like to tie a small knot or loop in my rope to pull up my bow at 15 feet. That way I know right were the 15 foot mark is and then can get a better estimate on really how high I am.

11. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had good pass-thrus from the ground this year, but I was expecting better blood. It wasn't bad, just not bucket fulls until the last 5-20 yards.

12. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. My kills have not been double-lung kills. I think 1 of the following is adequate, although not desirable: major artery, lung, heart, or liver.

13. SkyThumper

SkyThumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]. I posted this on a different thread , 20' high , 20 yards.. just for reference.

14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Everybody says how they strive to get a double lung shot, which is fine in a perfect world, but it's been my experience that a deer almost never shows up in that perfect position for this to happen. So, being able to put a killing shot on a deer that's in a less than desirable position/location is important. jmo

15. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd rather have a low entry with no exit hole than a high entry and no exit hole.

16. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not a problem, IF you practice that kind of shot often, and get very good at it. In my experience, with a lot of guys it is the #1 reason why guys either miss high, or hit high and get no penetration and lose deer. Bending at the waist, and making sure your sight is centered in your peep, is key with this shot.

17. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Imoh It is not necessarily about getting both lungs but about not just getting one lung. A steeper angle does open up the heart but makes the off lung more difficult. A little bit of angle may increase the kill zone slightly, but as you get an steeper angle it gets smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

18. SkyThumper

SkyThumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    True that ! My buck last year left 0 blood trail , but the shot was in the boiler room and I heard him crash ! And knew about where he was. My biggest buck so far, 10ptr scoring in the 140s

19. SkyThumper

SkyThumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Practice Practice Practice ! I hunt from a tree at 20' -25' so I practice that way. I shoot both dot targets and deer replicas for various angles and distances. I also shoot bottle caps out to 15 yards and hit or glance them with 95% of the time so if I feel I need to shoot a extremely close shot I have huge confidence I can put that arrow exactly where I'm aiming.

20. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my, gotta love the title of some of these posts!
    "How high is too high?" I'd say that depends on the individual, some people seem to get smarter the higher they get.