Hunting Knives...........

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So in 2014 I left my crap Gerber folding knife next to the gut pile by accident when gutting my first IL buck. I had been wanting to buy a bit nicer of a hunting knife for a few years, so it was a great chance to get something a bit nicer. Had to buy one quick though as I had another tag, and I ended up not wanting to wait for something custom, so locally I picked up a S30v Buck 192 branded by Cabela's with the rosewood handle and black nitride coating on the blade.

Overall I really like the knife, but it's a bit heavy and I'd like to get something really custom that can be passed down someday. I know we have a few knife guys on here, I'd love to see what you guys use.

What knife do you carry in the woods with you right now?

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use my old reliable Buck 110 folding knife. Had it for ions! lol

3. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gerber 600 LST. I think it was $40 new 10+ years ago. 20° edge that's sharper than a razor. Never understood taking a heirloom quality knife into the woods.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Rapala 4" presentation filet knife, while it would not be considered heirloom quality, it is to me I have had it 30 years and it has been used to clean, skin and filet every game animal or fish I have caught in that time frame.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A BuckLite Max (rubber) 3 1/4" blade is what I carry for gutting. If my last daughter does become a hunter, I will buy here a good knife because I will still be using mine. Heirloom or handing it down has never been a thought to me. If I am going to get something to hand down it will be land.

6. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are looking for something custom. A guy I hunt with starting making knifes 2 years ago. He uses D2 steel and goes through heat treating the blade. 12 hours to make the knife. The whole process is above me, but we shot 14 deer this past weekend. He wanted to clean most of the deer to see how the blade held up. He went through 8 deer and even cut through a rib cage on last one to see if it would dull. It is still sharp.

I would look into something with D2 steel. Someone said it is the same steel they use on bulldozers. Would be perfect for something to be passed down. Right now he is mainly making for friends that have seen the knifes. I was really impressed with it. I guess the steel is really touchy to get to the right reading, so I wouldn't go cheap on this. I included a link to someone that makes these type of knifes. I don't have any experience with these knifes, but read that this guy was an expert on another site.

My buddy is making them for $125, but mainly for friends. I've told him that price is way too cheap when we starting talking materials and time. This site below looked like you could get something for $205 for a hunting knife. Good luck.

Home - Dozier Knives

You will want to make sure to get a sheath for a knife like this. It is very sharp. Not sure if the above price counts that in for the website I referenced. My dad was given one of these from our friend and we will take elk hunting next year with 4 of us. I would love to see how they hold up for a couple elk.

Your original question as to what I carry. Havalon and buck omni. Picked up a work sharp sharpener and I've been impressed with it. I will be getting a custom knife made in the future with the D2 steel though and the work sharp will be used for kitchen knifes.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  7. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been carrying a custom made knife for the past 25 years. Incredible steel and most importantly it fits my hand and style perfectly. It has a 2 7/8" blade and that helps me not poking the guts. I used it all the while that I guided elk hunters and I have only used a ceramic stick on it to keep it sharp. I used it to gut 5 deer and a cow elk with it this fall. Still sharp. A lot of money and it is always the first thing that I check before I leave a kill site.

A good knife is an outdoorsman's best friend.

9. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends what you're looking for - there are so many options out there for sure.... I bought my dad a Kershaw Scallion a couple of years ago as a gift. He absolutely loves it. It's a little smaller knife at 2 1/4" - but lets face it, we all don't own one knife.... ha ha

Year I gave it to him, he broke down his entire elk with it - didn't even sharpen it... Guy that helped him pack it out was super impressed - asked him like 3 times what the name of the knife was....

A few days later, I even helped use it to break down and cape out my bull.... Don't even think we sharpened it between...

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/scallion

10. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a benchmade infidel I carry as my everyday knife( which I have used to gut a deer) but for cleaning a deer nothing has compared to my Havalon Piranta, i have cleaned 3 deer with it and not had to change a blade yet.

11. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to beat a Mora for price and function.

12. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the Kershaw skyline for a general beater knife. Good steel, holds and edge easy to hone. $30 bucks or so, US made.

13. Rugger

Rugger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    two knife set from Elk Ridge off of amazon for $15. Great knives.

14. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I carry a havalon and a buck knife. Two differant knives for two differant jobs in my opinion.

15. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    An old hunter used to say always put away a dirty knife. Has saved me from forgetting mine in the rush to pack out game

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's not what I would think of as "heirloom quality" but I carry the Outdoor Edge Razor Pro. I'm no expert and I was done with my deer in 15 minutes this season. One guy in hunting camp had one last season and now every guy in camp has bought one. They're ridiculously sharp and just plain designed to get the job done. The grippy handle helps preventing slippage even with gloves, and the blaze color helps with locating/not forgetting it. It's a specific tool for a specific job and it does that job very, very well.

My heirloom knife will be my old man's 40-some year old everyday carry Buck 110...when they pry it from his cold dead hands!

17. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I carry a esee izula in my bag, nice little fixed blade with some meat behind it.

Would love a strider folder but, would be pissed if I ever left it somewhere.

18. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess the "heirloom" quality comes from using it, not how much you paid for it.

19. EDinRI

EDinRI Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Benchmade makes some nice knives

20. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Havalons in the field for me, I do have some customs and other heirloom knives but they mostly live on a shelf on the wall....