TV Show Honesty

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Skywalker, Dec 9, 2016.

1. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What you don't touch on is once you are getting a pay check to hunt you'll do stuff that you would normally not do just to get footage.Take that to the bank.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have integrity, you won't. Like I said, if you make a bad shot, just be honest about it. Explain what happened, why it happened and what you can do so it doesn't happen the next time. As a host of a TV show, you need to be more creative and find a way to turn a negative into a positive.

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The webshows are gold. I rarely watch the TV shows anymore.

4. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Several years ago,I use to hunt an area and often ran into another hunter that hunted the same area. We often talked and compared notes. He told me he had a hunt booked in Illinois. I bumped into him later in the season. He connected on a really nice buck and showed me a photo.
    Anyway, he told me that hunting celebrity, Stan Potts was hunting and filming for a show. Stan gut shot a buck. They found it in a pond the next day. They got the deer out and laid it along a fence and filmed the recovery. He said he realized then, how fake those shows were after seeing that.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

5. bigfoot16

bigfoot16 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great discussion guys. I saw Greg Ritz shoot one on a show recently with a bow that hit the rear quarter of the deer. Terrible shot, and not one thing was mentioned about the bad shot. And just once, I'd like to see a hunter on TV act like he has shot a deer before, and not go nuts after a 10 yard shot....just my 2 cents...

6. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few pet peeves in no particular order.
    1. Is saying he did not go 40 yes after watching him run for 8-10 seconds.
    2. Over hyping products. Let me tell you the if product spends a ton on marketing it is because it needs to. I hunt deer in blaze orange during gun season.
    3. Calling a shot too far back smoke.
    4. Not hanging their own stands/scouting.
    5. When it is obvious the back edited the use of products like range finder or recovery.
    6. While I understand getting footage, not taking the first good shot.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends. A few years ago I gut shot a deer with my rifle. He hopped once looked around and fell over dead. When I opened him up his insides were liquid basically. The shock from the impact just destroyed everything internally including the the heart and lungs even though the hit was at least a foot back. It was a devastating hit. I have shot a handful of deer with this exact same setup (30.06 w/Nosler Partitions 165gr) and while I have never made another gut shot I also have never seen that kind of damage on any other deer I have shot. But there is always way more damage than what the initial entry and exit wounds show. A bullet will create a shockwave within the deer busting bones other organs not in the line of fire and just causing tons of trauma. A deer hit with a rifle shooting a good bullett will usually be a dead deer much qiucker than with a bow. Shooting a deer with a rifle is just a whole different ball game. Don't get me wrong though a terrible shot is a terrible shot. Fess up, don't be a d bag. That's why I only really watch bowhunt or die. I have seen the guys from Wardell's outfit fess up to bad shots as well in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here: Wildlife Obsession Ep. 5 (Josh Kinney | Louie Payne | Chris Comstock) - YouTube

is a video by Drury Outdoors. They acknowledged a bad shot and why it happened. The only thing I don't like is that they never actually showed the impact. There have been two or three in a row from Drury Outdoors where there was a questionable shot with a bow and they still showed the footage. I commend them for that, but I question why they were making the mistakes to begin with. I really wish they (or other hunting shows) would show a hunt or two where they passed on a buck because something wasn't right. Maybe I'm more of an idealist, but I would much rather watch an "unsuccessful" hunt than one where you have guys flinging arrows to fill footage time.

9. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Agreed on #3 big time. Until one finds their deer or sees it fall, it isnt smoke.

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I have my own experience with gut shooting a deer. 120 yard shot with a 270 WSM, 130 gr Winchester Ballistic Tips. Straight gut shot, the deer just spun and ran off. I never found any sign of hitting the buck and assumed a clean miss. 2 days later, I checked my trail cam and he walked right in front of the camera with a clear bullet hole just about 6" back of the rib cage. Surely he was a dead deer, so I grabbed my daughter and we headed out to search around the bedding area he was heading to. My daughter bumped him off the bed and I couldn't get a shot. Never saw him again. I know he died, but I have no idea how long it took.
    I think we all have probably gotten lucky with a shot and recovered a deer we probably shouldn't have, but I don't think we should be assuming a hit deer is a dead deer(Even with a gun).

11. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think you guys are missing one big piece of the puzzle here...

Your turning on hunting entertainment. Its supposed to be fantasized. If every hunting show on tv was a carbon copy of the averages joes hunt....nobody would watch. And they don't care if the diehards (like many of you) arnt watching, they are appealing to the guys that are gonna spend money, buy the latest and greatest equipment, tag the show on twitter, ect.

That's why I prefer webshows, it affords the producers more freedom. They don't have to appease the networks, they can control there sponsors, they don't have to buy a timeslot, ect. Ive dabbled with filming for 10 years and the internet format is simply the best avenue to watch true sportsman doing their thing.

12. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm partial to Major League Bowhunter. Good guys.

13. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not asking for them to be carbon copy of average joe's hunts, just for them to be honest when they screw up. Some shows do a much better job of this than others. Quality production is what sets the really good shows apart, being able to tell a story and being able to add in dramatic shots that most people don't think to use.

14. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to be a goober fanboy and brown nose here on their site, but to be honest BHoD is about all we have left when it comes to integrity. I will hedge and qualify that statement with I've obviously not been privy to every outdoor show so if there's another out there that I don't know about I apologize. Name the Game with Levi looks pretty stand up to me.

I won't sit here and act holier than thou and say I don't watch some of those shows though. I'm an avid outdoorsman and my interests as far as entertainment sway heavily that way and if I want to watch TV, that's usually the genre I'm in to so I'm partially hypocritical as well. A guy like me is part of the problem because although I don't condone such, I guess I'm part of the Nielsen rating that keeps them on air.

My biggest pet peeve, and it's very prevalent in the outdoor TV machine is SELF EDIT was making a point about a subject that is considered taboo on a forum. Although it was NOT my intent to discuss the "topic" even mentioning seemed to me I was crossing the line.

The gist is - don't use humanitarian things, actions, etc that are meant to tug on heart strings and emotions as a "selling tool."

I actually had a lot of respect for Hank Parker and my personal convictions are fairly in line with his if you get my drift. However, in a latest episode he and the guy he was hunting with spine shot deer back to back. It happens and I'm not above it myself. His response got me though. He stated neither deer was spine shot, "that's just what happens when you shoot a Schwacker. Deer drop right there."

I understand you have to pay bills and plug your sponsors. I would be ok with "Oops, hit him a little high. Luckily I shoot a large cut diameter mechanical (insert brand) that may have helped me out there." Just don't sell your soul or insult my intelligence.

15. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    .....how many times do I have to answer this....what you see on TV is real! Oh wait..."hunting" shows. Oh....never mind.