Eye dominance

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by in_the_woods_of_WV, Jan 13, 2016.

1. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did the left eye dominant, right handed bow thing for a while. Killed some deer, but I struggled when i got too excited I forgot to close my eye and I missed a nice Buck aiming w/ the wrong eye. Learned my lesson and switched to a left handed bow. No problems, ends up being more natural feeling. Btw, still shoot guns right handed.

dnoodles likes this.
  2. Flipper

Flipper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Talk about screwed up with eye dominant. I am right eye dominant, but shoot left handed. I close my right eye ,and use my left eye.. I have now removed my eye glass's, and that has helped some.But still have not got a good anchor point.Thus I'm all over the target.I see there are sites advertising with out using a peep site. Has any one used one of those ? Flipper

3. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you're shooting righty n looking lefty your arrow will cross your sight once n be to one side or the opposite further or closer. Closing your eye hinders binocular vision needed for range estimation. Could also lead to some safety issues imo

4. C_McK

C_McK Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have a unique problem I guess, I have been tested multiple times and my 'dominant eye' varies. One time I will focus with my left, another with the right. As a kid the local shop tried everything to get one eye to stay dominant but I ended up just shooting with one eye closed. I keep both eyes open right up until final aiming, but for consistency I have to shut my left eye

5. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're cross eye dominant if that's the case.

6. DaveinJax

DaveinJax Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if you have gone with an option or solved your problem yet but you could just do what i do and shoot with no peep and keep both eyes open. I shoot just as good if not better than many of my peep using buddies and I can easily shoot in lower light than they can as I don't have to look through that small hole and i have both eyes open. The only thing I tried that didnt work was a single vertical pin sight...that seemed to move left and right on me so I went with 4 horizontal pins and have been gtg for years now. The key is multiple anchor points. I put my index fingers main knuckle in the pocket just under my ear, then turn my head into my kisser button till it touches the corner of my mouth...then just slightly finish the turn till the tip of my nose just barely touches my string. It sounds like a lot to do but after a short while shooting this way its automatic.

7. Flipper

Flipper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Was glad to read this post. This is the same problem I have with the eyes. I have been thinking about shooting right handed because
    I can't group worth a darn shooting left handed. Age may be a factor at 77? draw at 26" draw 50lbs
    Bow is Diamond Infinite Edge pro. Been shooting 4 months now.About to give up!

8. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    same here left eye dominant but right handed. I shoot my bow right handed and keep both eyes open all the way up to before the shot is released. I then close one eye ( my left) and focus in more then release my shot. I really haven't had any issues. I shoot all my guns right handed just use my left eye for dominance.

9. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    pro shops will tell you to shoot with your dominant eye. however i am right eye dominant but have shot left handed for 10 yrs now. it feels more natural for me shooting left handed. I shoot with my right eye closed i always have. i have taken a lot of deer with my bow am i am really accurate shooting it. if you can't close your left eye try an eye patch. i wouldn't get into sights that can switch to the other side that sounds like its going to throw off you shot alignment to me. i also think you could easily learn to shoot left handed. i am considering switching to a right handed bow and it didn't feel as bad as i was expecting. when it comes down to it do what feels best to you and what you shoot the best. opinions are just that opinions. dont do what doesn't work for you just because someone said to

10. SkyThumper

SkyThumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a rifle left handed and a bow and a pistol right handed. I just close the opposite eye and drill tacks !

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

11. layneb2003

layneb2003 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same situation. . Shoot lh now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. oneshotonly

oneshotonly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm left eye dominant also. Try shooting with both eyes open. NO JOKE TRY IT.

13. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am center dominant so I have to close one eye no matter if a shoot left or right handed. Hasn't held me back though I would say I am your above the average shooter for everything I shoot.
    The only thing I have a semi tough time with, is handguns with horseshoe sights. If they have big dot sights works out a lot better for me.

I did try the safety glasses with a small black x on the lens for trap shooting but there wasn't much of an improvement as far as I could tell so I stopped doing it.

14. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bypassed the entire issue and have learned to shoot right or left both eyes open

15. Nick C

Nick C Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had no idea I was left eye dominant until hunter safety. I also found out my right eye is almost blind. Therefore I made the switch from shooting right handed to left handed. It also improved my trap shooting :)

16. Josh Brandon

Josh Brandon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot a left hand bow, it just feels the best for me. :biggrin:

17. Ranch Fairy

Ranch Fairy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Either go lefty
    Or close eye. Ain't no other thang!

18. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am right handed and left eye dominate i shoot left handed because of it hope this helps

19. The_big_cat

The_big_cat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a opinion that you should switch to your dominate eye as well. I'm a right handed in all sports and in archery I shoot left handed based on that being my dominate eye. My strong arm is on my right side and that works when batting in baseball or golfing or shooting a basketball. In archery I feel that holding my bow rock solid is easier to accomplish with my power arm, my right arm. Drawing is easy with my left arm. When I started in archery my first instructor convinced me to shoot left handed. It's easier to hold the bow solid and being left eye dominate the benefits are huge with regard to shooting potential. All the kids I've instructed have been setup based on their dominate eye. JMO

20. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My pal shot right handed for 30 yrs. as left eye dominant. He changed to a left handed bow 2 years ago and is shooting better than ever. Dam I can't use his stands anymore. Their setup on the wrong side.