Arrows

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Csubucs76, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Csubucs76

Csubucs76 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Currently shooting the beman ics hunters and really like them. With a new higher speed bow than I was shooting previously, I'm willing to sacrifice some sped for a heavier hitting arrow. ReLly like the fmj's and carbon express pile drivers. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    FMJ's. I shoot a 485gr fmj out of my Spyder 30, 60#, 30" dl. Slow as all get out, but it hits hard.

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    fmj's are great arrows. there are tons of good arrows out there. black eagle makes a great arrow. do you have any idea of what finish weight you want? also keep in my your front of center that will help carry your momentum. im currently shooting the black eagle x impact arrows. they finish out around 417g with an outsert and the end to keep my foc at 11%. shooting them out of my hoyt carbon defiany at 30in draw length and 70lbs i getting speed at 296fps and they hit like a hammer. i was shooting easton axis arrows at 477g and they blew thru my buck this yr but i wasnt happy with my foc at 7% and i didnt wanna shoot any heavier of an arrow. but the axis did awesome

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Relying solely on the arrow for the weight and spine and FOC and impact power (momentum) in my opinion is not recommended. I don't shoot some new incredibly fast bow (Elite 32 set to 65lbs and a 28DL)....yet my arrows tip in just under 470grains :biggrin:

I try to get an FOC at or above 15% personally. Am already thinking of going heavier next year....instead of just the 50grain weight insert behind front inserts might also switch to brass and keep weight inserts as well.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you can afford it, buy a few and compare. last year when I setup my new bow, I started with 1/2 dozen Victory Vforce they were the cheap arrows the shop had and I knew I was going to lose or tear some up since I hadn't shot in a few years. After a month or so I went to ICS Hunters planning of using them for the season. I could never shoot them in as tight a group as I did the Victory, so I went and bought a few more VForce arrows for the season.

Once this year is done, I'm going to again look at some different options. Since I had good luck with the VForce I'm going to try a different arrow from the Victory line, the RIP. Slightly lighter at 8.2gr rather than 8.7, but I'm going to add the 60gr insert rather than the standard 21gr.

7. kahneyjd

kahneyjd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using the Pile Drivers for years. 12 deer shot with them and every one was a complete pass through. Never used the other ones though.

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started shooting Easton Axis at 425 grains this year. I have taken three deer, two with the same arrow and had complete pass-throughs each time. Great arrows and a little cheaper than FMJs.

9. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a BTX-28 at 26.5 draw and 65lbs. Just bought a 6 pack of the Black Eagle Zombie Slayers at 350 spine and they shoot really well. Also shoot GT XT Hunter's 4475/400 and they shoot good too. You can always play with your insert weight or 125gr BH if you need a heavier arrow.