Stand or sit more in stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting how many stand. I sit 99% of the time. Probably only spent 10 minutes standing in stand all season. I usually shoot sitting.

2. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The other thing I'll add is that it depends on where I'm hunting. Farther visibility might give you time to stand ahead of a shot opportunity. Limited sight distance, thick vegetation may require you to be standing for a moment's shot, similar to hunting the chasing phase of the rut. Hunting a travel corridor/trail may require you to stand more than usual.

This year I'm hunting from a ground blind over a food source. Sitting is way more preferable! I've had 20+ shot opportunities, but only taken two shots. When multiple does are feeding, I feel like I need to be extra still and quiet. This is far easier while sitting, not to mention when multiple deer are feeding for like 45 minutes straight or when I get the shakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bowhunting with my compound I stand a lot
    muzzleloader I sit

Dan

4. kahneyjd

kahneyjd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I sit 90% of the time. Even most of my shots are done sitting, plenty of clearance around my stand to do so. I usually only stand to stretch or if needed get a better angle.

5. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sit most of the time, I'll stand to stretch or get a different view for a while. Yesterday I was sitting the whole time the deer was there and didn't stand until I decided to shoot him, then I stood up while grabbing my bow and turned all when he was under 10 yards away. It's how you move not that you move.

6. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i try to sit as much as possible because i tend to move less, but i will stand to stretch or depending on which stand sometimes i will stand right before dark when i expect to see deer. i prefer standing while shooting.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think "when" you move is most critical.