***November Reign - Team 17***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by 1jody256, Aug 15, 2016.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cloudy, cool, with a very light NNW breeze. Perfect conditions for a buck to walk in front of me and lose his life. Gotta play to win. Good luck to anyone hitting the woods this morning!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck this morning! Just keep at it when ever you have time. Family is always first, and your a good man for taking care of your dad!

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At 8:15AM I watched a spike feed around me at 10yrds for about 5 minutes, that was it for the morning. Just nice to get out though.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No I'm sorry left the skull cap/horns in the back of my dads truck. Just picked it up and I'll measure it later today!

I will make it up for one more WI hunt the weekend of the 10th. Doing more land work than hunting (clearing some areas and spreading topsoil on next year's food plots) but maybe I'll get lucky and run into one for another 50 points.

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just checking in to see anyone has been getting out and hunting?

I got out on Saturday morning and Sunday evening for opening day of rifle. Not much happened at the club. Only 1 buck shot and that was it! I had a 6 pt come by and bed in front of me for 2 hours, neat watching him trying to not fall asleep![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Havent been out bowhunting after rifle yet, but I do plan on hunting a little more yet. We have a doe only rifle hunt next week for 4 days, but I'll try getting out here and there when I can. I've gotta get my cameras back up and running and see which bucks survived. Thanksgiving morning I saw the big 10 I had on camera cross the road by the farm, so hopefully he was able to keep his head down. Didn't sound like the neighbors did too well during rifle, so I'm being cautiously optimistic.

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Beagle,
    My understanding was that you can still bowhunt during that (and any) Wisconsin gun season so long as you haven't filled your archery tag yet and wear orange. Am I wrong? If so that screws my plans for sure.

8. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    You can bowhunt during both, and actually use your gun tag during that season, but you are limited to does only during TZone, regardless of weapon used, so long as you're hunting in areas where TZone is in effect.

9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading out this afternoon for a hunt in a buck bedding area. I have seen the biggest bucks that the property has every year in this spot, but have yet to connect on a monster in there. It's so thick in spots and very limited on shots, have had them walk by at 20 yards and still couldn't get a shot. I can get within 100 yards of the beds and setup, that's the closest I feel comfortable getting. This will be the first time in for me this year, should be a good sit!

How is everyone else doing? Who has been out? Any good encounters?

10. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    Put a couple cameras out hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, otherwise I'll be picking my spots carefully. Shot a doe last night in our doe only season, so that isn't a big concern for me anymore with the bow

11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Kick in the pants - my buddy hunted that WI doe only hunt (he still had 2 doe tags) and saw shooter 8+s walk by my stand EVERY AFTERNOON. All he could do was laugh and watch.
    G#@*^^!

I ended up hunting a new public land area in MI instead; I passed on 5 does at 20 yards because I didn't want my season to end just yet. I may get out 2-3 more times later this week after the single digit temps pass. If I don't see any bucks after my next sit I'll take a doe.

Also, I finally got my score logged in Fitz's thread. He scored a 71. He wasn't going to be a booner anyway but he was all busted up.

12. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for my inactivity guys, but I've been super busy and really have nothing to report. Wanted to go last weekend but with the snow across the state on Sunday, I didn't want to drive home in that crap.
    Seems every time I want to go, something comes up. Work is finally slowing down, so I'll get back out soon for some late season action.
    I would really like to bag another doe and got a buck tag burning a hole in my pocket.
    Good luck to those still after them!

13. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Playing hooky tomorrow, and actually have a few days to hunt. Horrible conditions and I have no idea what to expect, but what the hell. Got a nice 80 acre spot to myself, we'll see what happens!

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Man! Knock down a good one tomorrow! I'm also trying to take a half day tomorrow and get in a evening hunt, want one more doe for the year

15. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Snow storm is coming in tomorrow afternoon here, supposed to get 6-8" overnight into Saturday then temps are supposed to drop to sub zero. Blew my plans all to hell. I may get to go Sunday evening.

16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Going to be too cold + I still got some Christmas shopping to do. I may get to squeeze one in Tuesday and/or Wednesday if I'm lucky. Busy week at work though.

I really, really want to put one more on the ground though.

17. Beagle001

Dislikes Received:
    Ice fishing bug has caught me, and with Christmas coming and then our honeymoon, I don't know that I'll get back out with the bow. If I do, it'll be the very last weekend.
    I've gotta check cameras to see if any boys are coming back around after gun season

18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Bitter cold snap finally let up today and looks like it's snowing in SW MI tonight. Should be able to sneak into the stand about 1pm tomorrow!

First mature deer I get a chance at is going to paint the snow!

19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    So all my tough talk was for naught...between the 3Ws (work, the wife, and weather) I just couldn't make it out again.

This weekend I am obligated to go to see family out of state and all 3 of my states' seasons end on Jan 1 (WI technically Jan 8 but that's prior to next weekend) so it's looking like I'm done. I had a good season and great time on this team. Congrats to everyone and good luck/stay safe to all those still trying to make it Reign!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got about a month left of deer season and decided to try for 1 more doe to fill the freezer. I like late season hunting and was hoping for to wait for some snow. Not that it helps for the team score, but I will keep you guys posted if I get one. Good luck to all that are still getting out!