Tagged out in KS.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ksWThntr, Nov 26, 2016.

1. ksWThntr

ksWThntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, after a miserable 2 1/2 weeks on stand in the hot KS October, I was back at it on the 11th of November. I drove all night from Colorado on the 10th and got in the stand right at legal shooting light. the morning was a bust except for a spike that was in range and a doe that wasn't. I was back in the same stand for the evening sit, and was about to get out and head to the veteran's day supper when right before sunset a shooter came through the bottoms across the creek. I prepped for the shot only to have to stand there watching him rake a cedar for 10 minutes. Just when I thought I'd have to pass for lack of light he read the script, jumped the little water hole in the dry creek bed, and headed up the draw next to my stand. I made the 18 yd shot and panicked cause I knew I hit him a little far back. But, he went about 20 yds and half laid down/half fell over, took a couple of wheezing breaths and expired.
    The shot was back on his left side, but he was evidently quartered away more than i thought cause it angled forward. I got liver and at least one lung.

I took Saturday off to bird hunt and spent Sunday cutting him up and watching football.
    Monday morning I was back in the same stand with a doe tag burning a hole in my pocket. I bumped some deer on the way in, but they didn't blow. About 10 minutes after sunrise, a young doe came trotting in probably looking for the other deer. She pegged me and started acting all jittery but when she stopped dancing around I was in a blind spot and pulled off a shot I was sure of until after I made it. Then I was sure I missed. I got down 20 minutes later to recover my arrow, but couldn't find it right away as I was looking for blood, I found her laying about 15 yds from the impact spot.
    2016 buck 1.jpg 2016 buck.jpg

2. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Any field pics of your deer? You sure didn't mess around on getting the European mount done.

3. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. ksWThntr

ksWThntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. No decent field pics. I took a couple of him laying there, but it was too dark and they didn't turn out too well on my phone. I was by myself and recovered him after dark with no one home to help. One of these days I'll start putting more stock in taking pictures, but I usually get in a hurry to take care of 'em. The euro mount isn't done yet, I still need to bleach it and figure out how I want the final presentation. I went ahead and boiled it the day I was cutting up the doe.

5. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, great buck!

6. BowhuntOrDie

BowhuntOrDie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man awesome buck!

7. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    very nice.. congrats

8. 308spstac

308spstac Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice one! I tagged out I Kansas this last weekend myself.

9. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations.

10. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great Buck, Congrats!