***The Deadly Dozen - Team 13***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by purebowhunting, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thumbs up on the doe. Things are heating up here 13 deer on the 26th 8 bucks 5 doe bucks all small on the hunt for Miss October. Got out of the jeep first thing in the am still dark heard some movement and sounded like 10 yds away the lowest loudest longest tending grunt i have heard. i think it was meant to scare me off.:lmao2:

2. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well seangarchery was right. 1 deer can change a season! One trip to camp was all I needed. I shot this 9 point at 9 am Sat morning. He was chasing a doe then for some reason broke off of her and ran right at my stand. He stopped 20 yds straight in front of me. When he went to turn around and walk away I let my arrow fly. Thanks to the spitfire double cross I was able to get him because I didn't lead him and my shot was back. But that broadhead left such a big hole and tore his guys apart that he didn't go 50 yds from my stand. I will get him entered soon

Attached Files:

3. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Pitzer25
    congrats on the nice buck

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck Pitzer25!!

Seeing a lot of buck activity, lots of chasing by 3 year olds and younger. Passed a chance at a real nice 8 yesterday, had another small 8 bed 20 yards from me. Fun times to be in the woods!

5. seangarchery

seangarchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pitzer25 congratulations on a nice buck! I figured things would turn around for you. Persistence pays off!

Sent from my ALCATEL A845L using Tapatalk

6. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in everyone.... I haven't had the best of luck so far. Haven't been seeing any shooters lately. I have a lot of vacation coming up. From the 8th to the 27th I only work 2 days.... I do know a few guys that have killed some studs.... One guy I know killed a 178 inch buck a few days ago and another guy I know got one over 190.... if my phone will let me, I'll post a picture of the 178.

7. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Friend of mine killed this.... 178 3/8...
    uploadfromtaptalk1478412545137.jpg

8. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lOUIE BUCK 2016 2.jpg lOUIE 2016 BUCK 1.jpg My husband grunted in this buck on Nov 2nd and recovered him the next morning ... He is one happy camper :)
    I have been seeing bucks chasing does and bucks are coming into rattling and grunting very well here. I rattled and grunted in a shooter yesterday morning but he just wouldnt come close enough for a shot :(

9. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    That is a nice one! I know people that are seeing some chasing down here as well. I haven't had the greatest luck so far. Monday I'm going to a spot I haven't hunted yet this year. Hopefully my luck will change. I'm sure lady forge yours will too. I think the best part of the rut is getting ready to hit.

10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been seeing deer, just not getting the shot opportunities. I had a deer come in yesterday morning 45 minutes before sunrise (still dark) 10-15yds from the stand, would've been broadside. I heard antler hit a branch...never got a good look.

The weather is finally turning cooler in NC, but unfortunately rifle opens next Sat...

11. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Well Team I shot a buck a couple of mornings ago after grunting him in. But its bad news :(
    He game me a 33 yard slightly quartering shot. I saw the arrow impact and heard the dreaded smack. I instantly knew I had hit him to far forward where the scapula meets the leg bone. So I watched him run off a little ways with my arrow stuck in him. I noticed that his leg was broken and he wouldnt put it down with any weight on it ... when he ran the broken leg just flopped around. He then stopped so I got out the film camera and filmed him stand for a bit and then limp off to the bedding thicket.

I gave him 5 hours and then 4 of us tracked him. I knew when I saw the blood that it didnt look good ... no bubbles in the blood and it had a watery blood apperance like you got from a meat hit. But decided as long as we had blood we would track him. I found a piece of bone from him and we found 5 bloody beds and jumped him once , so he was still alive 6 hours after I shot him, but eventually the blood trail ended a few hundred yards after we jumped him so we called it off after we couldnt find any more blood. Spent the rest of night riddled with guilt for wounding him so badly, remorse and very angry at myself for shooting to far forward. Luckly the direction he was headed was towards the neighboring farm and the young man that lives at that farm was blood trailing my buck with me so he will also keep an eye out for him.
    Here is photos of the blood, hair , bone and a still shoot from the film footage. Lost buck blood trail 2016 1.jpg Lost buck blood trail 2016 2.jpg Lost buck blood trail 2016  3.jpg Lost buck 2016.jpg

12. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to here that lady forge... I feel for you. I think that has happened to us all, that have bow hunted for a while anyway. I know it stinks wounding a deer but who knows, you might get a chance at a bigger one next week.

13. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's tough Lady Forge, fell bad for you. Frustrating thing we all end up dealing with from time to time.

I killed a doe tonight, been a rough season so decided to put down a doe. Feels good to experience success for a change.

14. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe!

15. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I've passed 4 2.5 year bucks in the past 3 days. Yesterday I had a shooter at 30 yards and I couldn't get a shot. He was probably between 140 - 150 inches. Only shooter I've seen since October 2nd. Still trying

16. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys & gals. Just catching up on the feed....no elk but saw 8. What an experience! Congrats on the deer down! Lady Forge, that's a tough one to swallow but that's why it's called hunting, not shooting as my Pops would say! Had to give my knee some recovery time before heading out to the deer stand, apparently I over used 1 knee (?) In colorado & have a fluid pocket! WI rifle season opens next weekend, but I guess there's always late Archery season there after!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

17. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Nov 10th, A Buck & Doe and Piebald Deer down & My Blood Tracking Dog

Nov 10th was the day I woke my husband up at 3am and told him to go Bowhunting and he told no you go ... ( one of us had to stay home that morning ) so then a argument insued, until I finally yelled at him " get your @$$ out of bed and go hunt "
    Well it worked :) My husband was bowhunting IDNR land that requires you to kill a doe before you can kill a buck. He text me he just had a doe with a buck go by out of range. Then a little while later a big 10 point went by in range but he couldnt shoot him cause he didnt have his doe killed yet. A bit later a doe came in to 20 yards with a young 8 point trailing her and he killed the doe. So a while later he has a Piebald doe coming in to him and as soon as he was gonna shoot her he heard a twig snap behind him. So he turned to see a 10 point buck coming in . So he changed his attention to the buck and shot him. He then watched the piebald doe just hang around the area just out of range after he shot the buck. He text me all about it and I told him when he was done not to go after the buck or doe and exit the area so his scent would never go near the downed deers blood trails and that I would bring our 6month old Catahoula blood tracking dog named Choctaw I have been training to blood track out to track the deer.
    Well the dog performed perfectly and he quicky found the doe and then we went after the buck and the dog literally drug me to the buck. My husband had made a great shot on both !
    I bought my Louisiana Catahoula Leapord Dog named Choctaw from a breeder when he was roughly 10 weeks old for the purpose of training him to blood track, This dog has an awesome nose and real tracking drive. His mother and grandmother were both blood trackers. Louie b & d with Choctaw 2016 2.jpg Louie b & d with Choctaw 2016 1.jpg
    So that same evening a friend of mine " J "went in to bowhunt the same area in the IDNR that my husband killed both his deer that morning and he had the same piebald doe come in and he shot and killed her with a great shot and I got to help him bring the deer out of the woods ... she was a real sight to see with brown eyes and pink hooves and a pink nose with spots all over. What a trophy of a deer !!!!!!! J Piebals doe 2016 3.jpg J Piebals doe 2016 2.jpg J Piebals doe 2016 1.jpg
    It was a great day of Bowhunting for my husband and J hunting basiclly the same spot on public land that day.

18. jwork

jwork Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to everyone whos killed and good luck to those still hunting. Gonna try to put a doe down next week. Where is the updated rankings? Only one I see only has us down for 200 pts.

19. seangarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I'm checking in. My phone stopped working and I haven't had one since early last week. Haven't been on here in a week....I had a good hunt Tuesday in a tree I've never hunted. Saw 3 does and 2 bucks. I'm in a thicket and 4 of them was in bow range. I'm going back there tomorrow. One buck was nice but he came by after shooting Light at 5 yards. Not sure if he was a shooter or not.... I Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving yesterday!

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

20. *twodogs*

*twodogs* Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've passed on 3 bucks so far, 2 basket 8s and one spike. Now that the pumpkin army has been turned loose, everything in my area is nocturnal. Charts show week of Dec 12 looking good so I'll be out sitting ask day that week.

I've had several doe in the area but 40+ yards from my stand which I'm not comfortable with that range in heavy cover.