Opinions on hunting backpacks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowafide, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im in the market for a new hunting backpack. I don't plan on packing meat out with it but would like to have room for extra clothing and/or food on all day sits. The more pockets the better imo. What do ya'll recommend?

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly for what you want to use it for I would just go to walmart and pick up pack. You can pay a lot for a name brand pack that will last you a lifetime of you can spend 20-40 and get a pack that will last you several seasons or more. I got a tactical pack for like 30 and it has more pockets than stuff I have to put in it. Good luck

3. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The last back pack I bought was a cheap one and when used half a dozen times, the buckle across the chest fell off. It was t even sewn on. It was a field line brand from Dunhams.

It's just another "you get what you pay for" story. So I would look whatever you choose over real good and make sure it will hold up and has quality material! Or you can waste $60 dollars like me before you find a good one

Just trying to save you a headache

4. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the one from Walmart awesome pack it's worked great for the past 3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really like my "badlands" pack.

7. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a pack from cabelas it cost about $200 then I bought a $38 one from sportmans guide and returned the $200 pack. It's been holding up real nice. My opinion is save that extra coin to fill the pack

8. Monks

Monks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sitka flash 20. Small pack. Tonnes of storage. I can strap my lonewolf climber to it and carry it comfortably for miles. I've had mine for years, beat it up carry lots of gear and have even deboned and hauled meat in it. And for all day sits it's perfect. Well designed pickets and compartments. I've tried the cheap pack route but you get what you pay for and you end having to buy cheap packs more often. Just my 2 cents but it is a great pack

9. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the feedback. I was definitely thinking quality so I won't have to worry about another strap breaking on me while heading to a stand. I've been eyeing something like a Tenzing 1500, but there a ton of options out there so I want to make sure I'm not missing a better option. I do like the idea of a bow holder or like monk said the ability to strap a stand to it.

10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alps extreme pursuit x pack was designed for bowhunting. Well made and lot of features. Has a bow holder, attachments for a quiver and stool, and carries my rain gear, extra clothes, food, water bladder, etc. has a couple pockets on the waist strap for a range finder and small binos or GPS so they are handy. But, don't think I'd strap a treestand to mine. if carrying a treestand on the pack is a priority for you a small pack with a hard frame may be better. But otherwise, for about $170 the ALPS is nice. good luck with your search.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  11. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the ALPS Pursuit and it works great for bow and firearm hunting. Plenty of room 2 waist pockets and comfortable on my 5'10 " frame. The outside pocket fold flat and makes a shelf to set things on too.

12. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to strap a stand to it, might look at the sitka tool bucket, it's heavier though with that frame to carry stands, it's 5.5 pounds I think. But an awesome pack.

Flash 20 as mentioned previously, never owned one but looks like a great pack.

I'm using the ascent12 , it's a smaller pack but I can carry my cam arm and Ozonics with a dslr in it comfortably and some essentials. The tenzing 1500 would be similar to that pack

"Couldn't think of a good Signature"

13. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought s badlands diablo last year round this time, they had a bunch of different packs at 50% off. Keep your eyes open.

14. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I too have an Alps outdoorz pack. I can't remember which model it is but I can also strap my bow to it. It has been durable for me, quiet, plenty of room for every day hunting. It's super comfortable even when carrying something heavy.

I did take off the extra padded "kidney belt" that has extra pockets and the belt as I felt I had no need for it. Nice pack in my opinion. You can find them on sale for a great price if you keep an eye out for them.

15. Jchal3

Jchal3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the tenzing 1250 lumbar pack. Plenty of room. Works great for me

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

16. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Game Plan Gear Spot-n-Stalk quiver pack.

17. Napper

Napper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Tenzing 1500. I like it. Use it for both Bow/Rifle season. Its quiet, has enough compartments on the interior of the pack. My only gripe would be is that I wish the outside mesh storage would be bigger. Also I found it for 129.99

18. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Badlands stalker pack for 59.95. Go to badlands website and use code " blstalkerddd1" at check out. Limited time

19. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Walmart packs are great for the price.

20. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can spend almost whatever you want on a pack. It really comes down to what your needs are. If I was hay packing it with extra cloths and food I would go the Walmart route.

BowHunters Only
    Like and share