***Official 2016 Live from the Stand Thread***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Fitz, Aug 24, 2016.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got ahold of the land owner and got permission in heading out now going to walk every inch of that property

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Way to keep after it!

3. ebell47

ebell47 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck man. Keep us updated

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

4. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    I will try, almost never have service though dad and I are starting out grid search

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal, if recovery is successful a gift of some sausage, steaks, burger and a roast might be in order and open up new hunting opportunities. I only recommend this if the recovered deer is still edible of course :lol:

Good luck

6. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. We will be anticipating some nice pics soon!

7. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!!

8. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When you recover that deer get ahold of the landowner again and thank him for letting you find your deer. Offer to deliver him some meat as a gesture of your appreciation and if the conversation is going well and presents itself kindly let him know you'd be interested in getting permission to hunt his land... Ya just never know!

9. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dude your story has my anxiety through the roof haha

10. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    no matter how your recovery goes you have earned the respect of others in your community and you will be rewarded for your efforts in one way or another. way to work for it you have shown true dedication. good job!

11. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys that's all I can do for today, I have prior obligations to get too, dad and I grid searched in the direction he was headed probably 300 past last blood, I know two people on a grid search isn't much but we tried. I gave this deer all I had, we came across a ditch around the 300 yards after blood that was steep on both sides, I looked all up and down the ditch because it goes the enitire way through the strip of woods we were searching, I looked for some sort of blood or stumble kicked up leaves anything. I am sure that if he was going to die and crossed that drainage ditch there would have been some sort of stumble or blood. So we focused our search in the 300 yards before the ditch... nothing. I cannot begin to explain how disappointed I am, I have been hunting these bucks so hard and this was the first time I saw one of them. I practice so much at 30 yards, I thought he was 30 yards, I had ranged the opening before he got there but when I got to the impact site and ranged the tree he must have been 33 yards.. enough of a difference to lose a dear. I can't believe this, he may have been the biggest buck I have shot. I guess I'll keep an eye in the sky tomorrow to see if the birds get on him, dad will be out in the morning for a sit and listen for coyotes. Good thing in going to PA for the week, need to step away from bowhunting for a little bit, make sure I practice and get back at it after thanksgiving.

12. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    I thought for sure after all the effort I put in calling the game warden and tracking down the land owner that it was a sign that I was going to find that deer. It's crazy how these 24 hours have taken me from my highest high to one of my lowest lows

13. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Well you definitely went through the proper ethical channels to assure success. Not sure I would have been as diligent to gain access ahead of time as you were so props for that. Unfortunately none of that really gets you any closer to finding the deer only gives you access to maybe finding the deer...

Hate it for you, know that feeling all too well after experiencing it a few short weeks ago. Sometimes those animals defy logic and sometimes Gods plan plays out differently in life and in his deer woods than we would like.

14. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Twitch the only reason I am considering getting myself out of bed in the morning and going to the stand is your story! I think it's a wise choice for me to go out tomorrow... this season has been one that if I let it would stop me from ever bowhunting again. Having hit 3 deer this year and not recovering them, I know one of them survived because my dad saw her and her little fawns later in the year. I just hope this buck shows back up on camera

15. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Yep gotta go out and get your mind right. Like you said, if nothing else for the happen chance you can track yotes howling or crows or something else. It will definitely eat at your soul but it's bow hunting and it will keep you humble for sure. Grind on my friend.

16. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with what Twitch said 100%. You gave it one hell of an effort and you should be proud of that. It's just part of bowhunting and things can turn around in no time just like it did for Twitch. Sometimes things just don't work out like we hoped, but keep your head up man. :tu:

17. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    So my roommate has a German Shepard, not trained on blood or anything but just a dog, took my bloody arrow out back left him inside. Would roll it and drag it around for 10-12 yards and hide it, with some guidance he was on it every time, think I might see if they mind if I take him out there tomorrow give it another shot idk is that worth it ?

18. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just passed up a 160" muley with the rifle... Dad thinks I've gone insane. Oh well

Sent from a piece of paper, tied to a rock.

19. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone ever consider silencing a .22 so u can shoot squirrels while bowhunting?

20. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You definitely gave it your best shot Adam. Keep your head up, it does happen sometimes. Is the idea of a tracking dog out of the ?