Feeling Clueless

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rjohnson83, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Rjohnson83

Rjohnson83 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I am new to hunting. This is my second season but I have no clue what I am doing. This is because I do not have anyone to show me anything. This means I am stuck trying to figure things out for myself. I get advice where I can and from whom I can. I have no idea what some people are talking about when they are giving me advice. Also I have to hunt public lands since I do not know anyone which makes it even harder (at least from what I am told). I have some equipment but have ran into problems trying to set it up because I feel like I am falling so I use a stool (basically) and a bunch of scent killer. I have no idea how to tell where the deer are or were or how to track or gut one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ebell47

ebell47 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you hunt? And what gear so you have that youre oncomfortable with?

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The more information you can provide about you, your equipment, your shooting skills, ect... will help people in giving you advice. You are at the right place to learn anything about bowhunting. We were all clueless when we first started into this sport, so don't feel bad. lol

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you want to drive to Kansas for a crash course one weekend you will have to take one baby step at a time. I am still learning after 40 years. There should be a bow hunting organization in Il to make contacts. Lots of videos on the net on skining and such.

5. dbo181101

dbo181101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What part if Il are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you use a safety harness at all times. Use all lineman climbing belt when hanging stands. Not only are these things going to save your butt if you fall, it does add a sense of safety when hanging gear.

7. Rjohnson83

Rjohnson83 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the Rockford area

8. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First learn to shoot your bow and make sure it is set up well (tuned) for your shooting form and arrows. Then watch as many Youtube videos of deer behavior and scouting as possible. Get out during the off-season as much as you are able, taking scouting walks to look for sign.....tracks, trails, droppings, old scrapes (patches of bare ground under low hanging branches) and rubs (bare patches on the side of smaller trees about waist high). During that same time period, spend time shooting a 3D target to get used to the size, position and correct aiming spots on whitetail deer. If you have questions there, again consult Youtube or sites such as this one for confirmation of your aiming spots. By next fall you should have a much better idea of what to look for in potential stand sites and spend the first week of two of season observing from your chosen spots with the idea that you will likely have to make adjustments based on changing food sources, human pressure, wind direction, etc. As Arkyinks stated above, I have bowhunted for 40 seasons and learn something new every year....that is the joy and challenge of hunting with archery gear.....you contiunally learn and add to your "tool box" of techniques.

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Youtube is your friend.

Field Dressing a deer

Blood trailing

Recovery Points

The best way to find deer is through scouting. Use trail cameras if you can or go setup observations stands and just watch. Find out where they are eating and track back from there if you can. its an art and will take some time to learn but hang in there and be persistent. It will all work out for you. You might however want to narrow down your questions to more specific points instead of a broad topic. Lots of information to cover. Good luck and keep asking questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. MasterHunter

MasterHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just buy a bag of black magic super feed and dump in a populated deer area and stand by... deer will be coming out the woodwork towards it!!!

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So will the wardens if its not legal to bait. :lmao2:

12. dbo181101

dbo181101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Oh im in southern il or id show you a few things. No expert but i could help. I like Wired to Hunt. They have a podcast i listen to a lot, a website, and a youtube channel. I would check them you if i were you.

13. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Books, magazines, tv shows (to an extent) & the internet are all valuable tools.

14. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Step one, don't listen to MasterHunter. :tu:

15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Step 2. Add masterHunter to your ignore list.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Rjohnson83, we are SERIOUS about not listening to MASTERHUNTER! He seems to have his own agenda for whatever reason, and is spewing all kinds of nonsense on the forums. I guess he's just having his own kind of fun, but don't let it be at your expense. Listen to the folks who have been around here for a while. Also, those Youtube videos really will help you out a lot. Best of luck learning this great sport.

17. Rjohnson83

Rjohnson83 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any particular books or magazines that I should look into?

18. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Patience. It takes time and dedication to become a hunter. Perhaps your state agency or DNR has a mentorship program? Something worth looking into. You can learn more about bowhunting with a mentor in one weekend, than a lifetime on the internet. There are many websites and blogs to look at, but my advice would be to try and connect with someone local to your area and ask them whether you could "shadow" them for a year. Bowhunting really is a year-round sport/hobby.

19. early in

Dislikes Received:
    My best advice would be to use the internet, because you can look into specific issues/questions that you might have. Certain books/mags might not include that info.

20. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well not a whole lot to work with here as far as how we can specifically help you but here is some advice I learned early on as I didn't take up deer hunting until my early 20's. From what I gathered you don't know anyone who can help you become a better hunter and finding access to good hunting land has been a problem for you.

Hunting in general has a really steep learning curve, especially bow hunting! You have to immerse yourself in the sport, you'll get out of it what you put into it. No specific magazine, youtube video, hunting show or podcast will make you a better hunter. Watch, listen, read anything that you can - it will all help you formulate a better understanding and a game plan for success.

What is your expectation? Hard to be successful without knowing your goals and expectations ahead of time. Are you hunting for meat trying to feed yourself/family? Do you just enjoy the outdoors and find hunting relaxing, peaceful, holistic? Are you trophy hunting and looking to shoot a big buck? What motivates you to hunt will help you find success. For me, I just enjoy the outdoors and watching deer so I don't need to shoot a deer to realize success. My goal is to see deer - I want to see as many deer within shooting range as possible so a lot of my planning/preparation is to achieve that goal. So early on I wanted to better understand food sources, food plots, entry & exit strategies to my tree stand, scent control, wind direction, stand placement and anything else that would increases my chances of seeing more deer. Everyone wants to see deer don't get me wrong but for a lot of hunters that is not the sole motivation for them.

For you personally the first thing I would do would be make a friend that is a hunter. This will make hunting more enjoyable for you. Always fun to have someone to help you hang tree stands, put in food plots, share trail camera pictures with and hopefully someone to help you drag your harvest out of the woods with you! The second thing I would do would be to invest money in a lease and or ask around to private landowners for permission. Much easier to afford a lease if you can find a hunter or two to go in half on 40 to 80 acres with you. The best way to learn about hunting is by success and failure - get in the woods, get in a stand and just watch!!

Good luck hope this was helpful.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016