Sitka or Kuiu and what baselayers

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Brooks23, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Brooks23

Brooks23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What is everyone running and opinions on best layer system for the whole year

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's more about what each layer does and is made of than what brand is sown or printed on each.

3. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While I agree with this statement, a further consideration of company service and warranty is also required. Based on my experience, there is no comparison when considering these points or for that matter product quality, comfort, fit and warmth.

This year 3 weeks prior to my first ever moose hunt I decided to order about $1500 worth of Kuiu. I placed an initial order, and the next day convinced my self that I need more and placed a second.

After 4 days of no communication or order confirmations, I sent an email and left a phone message with Kuiu... no response. Another day went by and I tried both options again... no respose or return of my attempts at communication. Finally about a week later, I get hold of customer service rep. who stated that the orders cannot be merged and that shipping options to Canada are limited to post.. likely not fast enough to get in time for my moose hunt although I ordered 3 weeks in advance. With this in mind, I wait a few more days looking for shipment confirmations, and tracking numbers.

With only a week left before my hunt and no sign of packages, I again called Kuiu. I spoke to a "Manager" who basically said, there was nothing he could do, the packages had just been shipped (After over a week) and were in transit. I requested specific labelling on the packages to ensure hasty delivery and reduced import costs these were not done... packs sat in customs in Vancouver, for about a week.

Moose hunt was fun, no moose shot and for purposes of this post, no Kuiu to wear.. I was annoyed.

Upon returning home, 1 package was delivered and another (after over 4 weeks) had still not been delivered. Finally after a few more days, the packs arrived. VERY annoyed, I again called Kuiu, by now I was getting to know the staff by name (unfortunately)...I explained the problem explained that over $400 was owing on duty imports and taxes thanks to the fact that they did not follow directions and told them I no longer needed or wanted the items. I never opened any package and refused to pay owing taxes and duty. My Kuiu contact, at that point tried to talk to a "supervisor" about the problem and determined a discount of 10% would alleviate my issues... right, what a token gesture especially when a 20% discount was offered to kuiu customers that I suggested using a promo code they gave to me to give to friends and family... unbelievable. After all of this, I refused the shipments, had everything returned and FINALLY got a full refund. Interestingly, I just got a Kuiu catalogue in the mail... I used it start my daily fire.

(For a number of years during my first stint at college I worked in the outdoor retail industry... I have dealt with dozens of companies, and hundreds of orders and customer returns for product warranties etc.) I have NEVER had such poor service from ANY company in my 45 years of life.

Sitka on the other hand has been outstanding, and I have worn their product for about 7 years. Being annoyed with Kuiu, I decided to take my refund and apply it to new Sitka product. I ordered all of it online, got more that I would have through Kuiu, got everything I ordered with no backorders and had everything delivered to my door in 4 days... nearly 3 and a half weeks faster that Kuiu.

On another note. I have used Sitka for several years now. A few years ago, after 2-3 seasons of use, my incinerator bibs developed a ripped seam in the crotch allowing down feathers to fly everywhere and insulation values to drop. I called Sitka, sent them in at their urging and got a new pair no questions asked... IN FACT, they sent out the replacement pair BEFORE they even received my damaged set.

Enough said IMO, Sitka all the way! I would never consider Kuiu as a result of this pathetic service.

To answer your first question...Base layer... merino, then core heavyweight, then stratus. If cold, I add my celsius jacket and if below 35, I go to my incinerator suit wth keep me warm down to the tens.... fantastic products, fantastic company.

4. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

WOW! I also have had a crappy experience with them. Just about all the same issues. They have the worst customer service on the planet. Their gear is over priced and I wish I refused shipment on all the stuff I have from them except I do like a pack a got. Also the Yukon pro gloves I got from them suck. I used them about 5 times and the liners have separated from the glove so when you remove the glove it takes about 15 mins to re situate the liner so you can wear them again.. Teton half zip i washed about 5 times and has fuzzies all over it. Super down jacket is ok but not worth $229 feathers come out of it everytime I put it on and its just not that warm. Teton soft shell... This is a $60 jacket not a $99 one.

5. JStarr

JStarr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What about First Lite? Have you looked into them?

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IF I were going to throw serious cash at clothing (wear Scentlok personally) First Lite is where'd my money would go to.

7. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on humidity, I like wool base layers from First Lite. If its really humid or a downpour out, I wear UA 3.0 (cold weather) synthetics. Other than that, I can honestly say UA's "cold weather" outer layers are awful and will NOT keep you warm. Late season I use Scentblocker Alpha suits. Don't have the money for Sitka, and feel like the camo is a little light in color for my liking. Kuiu's gear is great for early-mid season, but they're cold gear isn't my favorite. The down jacket is awesome, but when it gets really cold, the jacket's outside layer actually freezes and becomes really loud when moving around. If you're rifle hunting, or sitting in a blind, that's great, but for bowhunting from a treestand...I'm not taking the chance. Good luck with your choices.

8. JStarr

JStarr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some Rocky Athletic Mobility a couple years back. I like it, but you gotta layer, layer, and layer again. It just doesn't keep you warm. Plus, I've gained a couple pounds and they don't fit very well anymore.
    Some of this years tax check will go to a complete First Lite base layers, merino wool layers, and outer layers.

9. Shuuter

Shuuter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just started hunting last fall and have been buying Monster Camo after almost seriously hurting myself in the cold last year. I just did not have the right stuff and didn't know what I was doing. Going off of tkarrows comments regarding customer service I haven't had anything but top notch help from them. I emailed them a couple of questions regarding their gear and received replies the same day with well informed answers. Later that day I logged into their IM with a couple of follow up questions and I'm pretty sure I talked to the same guy that answered the emails. For quality they're stuff is excellent! You can tell they put some money in producing a high quality product. I've been scouting in their stuff and Desiree being designed with a snug fit they move really well and had zero issues with thorns or branches tearing the material. They're also offer some pretty good discounts. They recently did a trade in where you send them your old camo and order a new set (shirt for shirt, pants for pants etc) and they would discount you up to 50% depending on the condition. They sent the new stuff before receiving the old stuff, give you the percentage off up front and adjust on the back end (up if necessary) but I can tell you they never adjusted my trade in. They're a new company (last year new) but the guy who owns them started Kings Camo so I'm fairly confident that they'll do ok! Oh and they're shipping is fast! I live in Maryland and they're based out of Utah and the longest I've had to wait is four days!

10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't pronounce kiuiu, let alone spell it ergo I won't buy it.
    If you want me to buy your stuff you better make sure the masses can at least use word of mouth to advertise it.

copperhead likes this.
  11. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased some SKRE moreno as well as the hardscrable jacket and pants. Customer service was great and items have a qaulity feel, but I haven't hunted in the stuff yet. Items are affordable check it out if you want. Order at least one size larger then you need also.