Calls don't work

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Worzeth, Nov 13, 2016.

1. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you are a very lucky man to have that kind of access.
    Around here, most deer respond as your deer do. I've only had one doe come running to my rattling horns. I've had several does come running to varmint calls. However, while hunting in Montana and Idaho, I've had deer come in on a string to rattling horns. The difference................. haven't got a clue!!!!!!!!!!

I still keep on trying.

Don't you just love hunting?!?!

2. Oklabowyer

Oklabowyer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Worzeth,

Wish I could help you there bud but my experience has been different. It doesn't always work but I have had success. I have only experienced deer blowing out of the area one or two times that I can recall in my 25+ years of hunting and using calls. I admit that there may have been deer react that I didn't see though. Nevertheless, I'll keep using my grunt call and rattling horns because I feel they have aided me in being successful in the past. I hope your luck changes.

3. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I grunt at deer to stop them

4. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have tried calls in my area without much success. Not sure if it was user error though.

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to pull several bucks into bow range with my grunt tube this season. I've never had any luck with rattling.

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last time I was out, I had two bucks come to my blind estrus bleats.

I failed to capitalize on the opportunity but they both showed up from different directions at the same time shortly after I called.

7. ksWThntr

ksWThntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've only had one buck undoubtedly respond to rattling. I know cause he came roaring in out of nowhere like he was gonna tear some sh!t up then stop and look around for 5 minutes before nonchalantly walking off. I gave it a few minutes and rattled again. I guess he was looking for a fight, cause he came right back. Whether it's scents, calling, or rattling; you have to catch them in the right mood.

8. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just started using calls.called in a buck a few weeks ago I was stalking from the ground I think I called at him to much. He walked down wind at 50 yards I panicked and grunted right when he was looking at me ,and boom he bolted. Week later in a different spot and in a stand bigger buck walked threw I grunted,caned called,snort wheezed. He could car less he just ate leaves off low trees and when he slowly wondered into 30 yards I had no shot. Never had luck blind calling deer.rattling to. I have a knight and have pack rack aswell as primos plastic rack niether sound good to me.

9. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just started using calls.called in a buck a few weeks ago I was stalking from the ground I think I called at him to much. He walked down wind at 50 yards I panicked and grunted right when he was looking at me ,and boom he bolted. Week later in a different spot and in a stand bigger buck walked threw I grunted,caned called,snort wheezed. He could car less he just ate leaves off low trees and when he slowly wondered into 30 yards I had no shot. Never had luck blind calling deer.rattling to. I have a knight and have pack rack aswell as primos plastic rack niether sound good to me.