Extra Motivation to Sit the Midday Hours

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Landon DeKeyser, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Landon DeKeyser

Landon DeKeyser Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [FONT=&quot]So I have always been a fan of sitting all day once the rut hits, but sometimes have a hard time getting myself to do it. I often times find myself making excuses to head home for the midday hours of hunting. I'll admit, I just have a hard time sitting past 4 or 5 hours. Even when I know I should be doing it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is an article a recently wrote about NOT sitting those midday hours and why I now regret it. I wrote this in hopes that it would encourage others to NOT make the same mistakes I did the last two weekends.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Check it out and let me know your thoughts! If you have some stories of killing deer mid day share them with me. I could use the extra motivation.[/FONT]

Hunt the Midday Hours for Monster Whitetails - Lifestyle Lost

[FONT=&quot]In the words of the great Red Green "Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Good luck to everyone!![/FONT]

2. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my buck just after noon last Friday on my first all day sit of the year. I too had an excuse each time I headed home for the midday, which often involved helping my patient and understanding wife with our kids so she could run errands.

3. Nissen121523

Nissen121523 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what about all day sits during gun season? anyone a believer in that based on experience(s)?

4. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a believer...even if MasterHunter tells us it's a waste of time.

I will sit all day most archery hunts beginning on Halloween and will sit all day the first two days of gun season. I see some of my best deer movement as fellow orange army members head back to the cabin for more coffee.

5. Landon DeKeyser

Landon DeKeyser Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what you said Me53! I sat all day today and will sit all day tomorrow as well. One reason sitting all day can be even better in the first few days of gun is simply because most people don't it. Which means people moving in and out of the woods around 11:00 and 2:00 could push some deer right past you. I have seen this in my experience at least.

6. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen way too much movement between 11 - 2/3 in the rut and gun season to not want to do it. If I have the day free to hunt, I am there from dark to dark.

If you can't sit in one spot all day, get down from your stand and have a secondary ground location to relax, eat lunch, etc. Just make that place an area where you think they transition through frequently. I love a room with a view. Edges of swamps are great for this.

My dad passed on a good buck two weeks ago. It came by at 2:30pm...should have never passed but, that was his choice! I shot my biggest rifle buck at around 2pm the season opener back in 96. Have come so close in archery rut...too many times.

Yes...packing a lunch or at least some cookies and water is important. I also carry advil!

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I killed one of my best (relative) bucks at 1:15PM a number of years back. When life allows, I'll do all day sits every time during the rut, regardless of what I've been seeing!