Help me decide if I made a mistake!!!!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by abates352, Nov 14, 2016.

1. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I took 5 days off this past week from work to hunt the rut here in Kansas. The following are a few pictures of one of the best encounters I had last week. I let this deer walk thinking he was only two. When I go back and watch the video, I think I maybe made a mistake and should have taken this deer. Before helping me decide, keep in mind my goal is to harvest deer that are 4 or older. In the stand I thought this deer was three, but now I'm thinking maybe I was persuaded by the antler size. No question he is a fine deer, just wanting help aging, because of possible future encounters with this deer. Thank you for ur help, and keep in mind this deer is posturing to my decoy at the time the pics where taken. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1479177034.112534.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1479177050.137724.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1479177072.575108.jpg

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You should have shot him.

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i agree. i would say he is 4. if not, hes a stud of a 3 yr old. antler size isnt always everything. hind sight... 20/20

4. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I don't understand why age is a criterion. Personally I trust my first reaction when I first see the deer, as to whether I want to take it or not.

I agree the rack suggests 2.5 rather than 1.5 or 3.5+, but I'm not familiar with Kansas deer.

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    he's older than 3.5

6. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Age is deciding criteria for me because I feel like challenging myself as a bow hunter. I want to harvest a mature deer, and I believe at 4 a deer has reached maturity. I am hunting fair chase white tails and on property that I also share with other individuals. As far as the adults, we have agreed to try to let the bucks reach 4 before we harvest them. We also have the understanding that the youth will harvest whatever they see fit. I believe in shooting what makes you happy, and for me that is mature deer regardless of antler size. I need to get better ate aging deer, but it is all part of the journey.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you're fine at your decision.

8. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The last pic is the clearest but does not show where his neck meets the body. It looks like it comes to the body a little high and since his belly is not pot bellied(from what I can tell) I would guess 3.5. But, that's just a guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. His legs are miiiiiighty short if he's three. lol.

10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think 3.5, neck looks swillen from rutting. I think you made a good choice if you are trying to shoot 4 years old and older.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Above the curve 3.5 or spot on 4.5 is my guess. Wouldn't blame ya either way.

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My guess is 4.5 old. Around me I look at the belly line on a questionable buck. If the belly turns up at the rear leg, I call it a 3.5 or less. If its flat across the bottom, I'm calling it 4.5 plus. But that's just me and helps me judge the deer quickly. I'm sure that's not exactly right way to judge, but close enough for me.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would use the same logic I used when taking tests. Your first choice is usually the correct one. You saw him and didn't believe he was old enough for you. Don't second guess yourself.

I know a guys who went to Missouri to hunt with friends (rifle). Everybody was telling him to be patient. Opening morning he saw an 8 pointer that was the biggest deer that has ever been in front of him. So he shoots. Rest of the week he is seeing the 10 and 12 pointers all over and he couldn't take one because he had filled his tag. You know better than me what deer are like where you hunt, but from your first reaction I am guessing they get bigger than that or you would have reacted different.

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good decision.

15. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A very good deer and if you haven't shot one that big before, I would have shot him.
    At the same time, he isn't a buck that you should go to bed at night and regret not shooting.

Now you do have pictures of a buck to measure the rest of the deer you see against and now you can readily decide whether to shoot one that size when it crosses your path again.

16. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only you can decide if you made a mistake by passing. Honestly, it doesn't matter what we have to think. Shoot what makes you happy and keeps the fire going! Personally, I would have passed.