NAP Killzone vs Spitfire Doublecross

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JDUB, Oct 27, 2016.

1. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For those who've used both which one penetrates better?

I haven't used the Killzone but did use the Double cross on a buck this year.
    In practice they are super accurate and open up nicely on a target.

I got a great bloodtrail from the double cross on a marginal shot. It produced great entrance and exit hole. I clipped rear of left lung, diaphragm, liver, and punched hole right through stomach. It did go through the opposite side but got hung up maybe at the fletching. I didn't however get a "complete" pass through...I am used to broadheads just blowing through deer with my set up when hit in the ribs and pulling them from the dirt.
    I shoot a Xpedition Xcentric 7 66# DW, 29" DL shoots my 460gr Victory RIP at 287fps chrono and MBG sight tape verified.

Wondering what others experience is so far with the double cross and if there are any penetration issues. Does the blade deployment system hinder penetration? Killzone better in this regard?

2. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    buddy shot 2 bears this year... one w/ Killzone... one w/ DoubleCross... destroyed both w/ no problem... I personally prefer the Killzone's over the other... just because I've seen more success with them from others... but I still prefer the Spitfire Maxx over all of them.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scientifically speaking with equal force and all other things being equal should penetrate better due to less surface area and less drag. With whitetails I think the difference is marginally for elk or moose however it might be a factor. Does that make sense?

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Um.....you left out which broadhead??? lol

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Was thinking same thing but based on his description of "less surface area" he must be referring to the KZ; which does have less surface area and all else being equal would penetrate more than the DoubleCross.

It sounds like the OP hit his deer on a fairly sharp angle. Expecting to "blow through" every deer with that set up using a large 4 blade mech broadhead is a bit unrealistic. My whitetail set up is almost identical (inc. specs as quoted) and of the last 3 deer I shot only one was a complete pass through (arrow buried into the ground using a Rage Hypo) and it slipped between ribs on both sides never touching bone. One was buried to the fletchings on the entry with the head sticking out the other side; the last was an extreme angle and did not penetrate the off side.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

hahaha yup I meant the Killzone should provide better penetration. Chair to keyboard short.. sorry :-)

7. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking killzone might penetrate better not only for blade surface area but blade angle as well.
    The killzone blades I think slip back like a hypodermic, but the double cross main blades pivot open. Not sure what effect that might have.

The buck I shot was slightly quartering away not a real hard angle.

8. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bump anyone else

9. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just started using the killzone 100gr trophy tip this season. I shot a buck on November 4th and was impressed with the wound channel, penetration (pass through) and blood trail. My buddy has switched to them this season as well with the same consensus. They're excellent broad heads. I've always been a slick trick guy, but these seem to do the job just as well with a better blood trail