***Lung Punchers - Team 11***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by pick00l, Aug 15, 2016.

1. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Holy cow a lot has happened since I've got on! Congrats to everyone on their deer so far, and a huge congrats to you Billy! Love seeing additions to the family. I also have some good news. I arrowed a deer tonight, and fingers crossed we will find it shortly. Waiting for my roommate to help me track it right now

2. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Story not so good here. Had a nice doe take her sweet time munching on corn and walking to me. Took her what seemed like forever to get to me and then at 30 yards I came to full draw. Thats when my hood slid around and covered my left eye so I had to let down. She turns and walks to the edge of the woods(I am sitting about 15 yards in) and slowly makes her way to me. As she approaches my clearing I come to full draw, she takes a turn towards me and locks eye's on me.

16 yards and quartering to me, I felt she was about to bolt. Here's where I get greedy and take the shot. I hit about 3 inches back of where I was aiming and hear the loudest "thwack" I have ever heard. My arrow took out the first lung but continued to the opposite knee. She crashed straight down, got up and hobbled across the field making it over a fence. I find my lighted nock in the weeds in front of where she was standing. It had to ricochet back off the knee.

Could not find any blood until i get to where she jumped the fence and then it was a pretty good trail. I took a shot that I wouldn't have taken in the past all because I really wanted to do my part in this team event. It's my own fault but this is a reminder not to let this game change your style of hunting. I should have let her turn or run.

Ill get the pics up in the scorecard. Good luck fellas!

3. kansasfever

kansasfever Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It happens bud. The adrenaline flows and we get excited. It's a part of bowhunting. Don't beat yourself up over it and put it in the lessons learned category.

4. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Your right there Kansas, That's why bow hunting is so special because of the adrenalin. We have one week left before firearms season opens.

5. kansasfever

Dislikes Received:
    Little update from this mornings hunt, saw six deer but only one close enough to shoot. He was a 135-140ish eight point. Might regret not taking the shot but the area I was hunting has bigger deer. Patience is my downfall sometimes lol.

6. bornfromthecorn

Dislikes Received:
    Update on my deer. We recovered him last night and got him cut up this morning. I have yet to score him but he is my largest deer I have shot with a bow and I am happy with him. I will try to get him scored here in the next few days.

So after the shot he ran about 300 yards. We tracked him about an hour after the shot and by the time we got to him the coyotes had already started in. No meat was lost, but I was very surprised that they already had got to him to that degree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kansasfever

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! Congrats, that is a great deer! Glad no meat was ruined. Those coyotes can get on em quick.

8. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck man! Congrats!!

9. kansasfever

Dislikes Received:
    If you guys aren't already, you should follow the track job going on in Live from the stand thread. It's pretty cool.

10. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad I have all this nice cool weather camo that sits in a bag taking up space. I think I've had to wash my scent lok about 10 times this year and wore it every hunt and it's almost too hot to wear!!!

Going for ground sit tonight and then an all dayer tomorrow with a decoy.

11. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Born - Great buck. I love seeing pics of them on the ground! Amazing on the yotes. Do you normally have a population of them where you hunt?

Again, great job.

12. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All stories as good from an education perspective. Either your's or others reading it. I took a slight quartering toward me shot on a buck a few years back. I was so caught up in the moment that when I drew, he stopped dead and that was my shot. Lucky for me I was successful even with a shot that was mis-placed. I learned, from that experince that I need to breath and try to keep a clear mind. Anticipate as much as I can. That is not always possible but, I try. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end! Great success!!!

13. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Team -

Quick scoring update. After Born's buck, we will be in a very respectable position! I'll be in the woods the next two mornings trying to put a doe down. In addition, I will hunt with my dad's crossbow during the rifle and flint lock seasons. I really do not care to hunt a doe with a gun this year.

PA archery season ends this Saturday. Good luck to everyone still. Best time of the year if you can make it out!

Team 11- 304 1/2 pts
    kansasfever - 50
    Billy Pulsifer - 50
    camo75 - 50
    pick00l - 154 1/2

14. kansasfever

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice. I should have added a dandy to the team today but he decided to jump the string. So frustrating. He is the target buck I have posted about to you all.

15. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Close by no cigar! Great that you got a shot. Was he spooky to begin with? Longer shot? Hope you get another shot.

16. kansasfever

Dislikes Received:
    No he was one a mission, nose to the ground following a scent trail that I laid but then took a right when he should have went left. Had to stop him before he was behind a set of trees. He was dead to rights and normally when I drop a deer I aim a little lower to account for the jump but I couldn't in this case because where I needed to aim was blocked by a limb that we didn't get cleared out. I went for it anyways hoping he wouldn't drop because his vitals were exposed. Settled the pin, shot, and then heard the wooosssh sound you hear when your arrow hits the grass.

17. bornfromthecorn

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much everywhere I have hunted has them to some degree, just never had them on a deer that quick before. This winter my roommate and I hope to make a dent in the population!

18. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    My hunting buddy was walking back to the truck Monday night and said a big one was coming from my stand area, go figure! I have not been able to see horns at all this year.
    Everybody still going at em? I'm still putting as much time as I can in.

19. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I was out the last two days of the PA archery season. Disappointedly, no shootable doe came close. I have to wait a few weeks now to hunt doe again. Will start again as soon as it is legal!

20. kansasfever

Dislikes Received:
    I am taking a week off but I will be back in the stand Saturday and have the entire next week off to hunt. The wife has put the foot down on thanksgiving so I won't hunt them but other than that I will be in the stand. We are managing the property we hunt for older class deer so if I do t get a 4 year old or older in front of me it gets a free pass. I may hit up some public ground like ft. Riley and see what I can do there. I have about eight stands on post I can hunt and I always have the climber in the truck.