Minnesota 2016

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Birdswacker, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Frydaddy

Frydaddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Saw this guy 3 different times yesterday morning and afternoon chasing does. My wife chewed my ***, and informed me that she was tired of me hunting. Shot him with the boomstick, as I didn't seem to have the skill to get it done with a bow this year.

Attached Files:

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    November 9 I have 3 mature does and a yearling doe on the food plot with assorted fawns for the last 45 minutes before dark, once again not a single buck showed other than a button. The only thing I can think of is that I have yet to hunt with a north or northwest wind.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My brother has 80 acres west of little falls and he's seeing the same thing. Saw 7 does on Sunday and not a single buck. Starting to think there may be a late rut in some areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We had a pretty good opening weekend for a change. My buddy and his son had to work Saturday, so I stayed close to home and hunted my spot I have hunted for years. The landowners will only let me hunt this spot, so I found another spot for the 3 of us to hunt closer to their house. I didn't see a thing opening morning, but I heard a ton of shots. At noon, I decided to run up to our other spot. I climbed into my buddies tower stand at 1:00. I figured since I was there alone, I would hunt his spot. This is only our second year hunting here, and have not gotten a deer here yet. About 2:30, my buddy text me and told me he was getting done in about 15 minutes, and was wondering if it was worth it for him to come out. He has a ways to drive from work, and he had to stop at home first. Told him it was up to him, but if he did come out, to go sit my blind since I was in his. I should add, that this spot isn't very big, and about 3:30, I watched him walk out to my stand. He crawled in the blind at 4:00, and at 6:00, I heard him shoot! I text him and asked him if that was him, and he said, yes, he is down!! Here I had been sitting since 1:00, and hadn't seen a thing, and he comes out for 2 hours, and shoots his biggest buck to date. No monster, but a very nice one for him. I couldn't be happier!! He has done so much for me over the years, and I really wanted to get him a deer. It had been almost 8 years since he shot his last one. Here he is with his buck. He took it to the taxidermist, and is going to have it mounted.
    [​IMG]

5. BigDaddy

Dislikes Received:
    That takes us to day 2. His son got the day off, so it was going to be the 3 of us. His son got his first deer 2 years ago using my muzzleloader. He was hooked. He went out and bought his own CVA Wolf last year. We got in our blinds about a half hour before shooting time. Wasn't long, and I see a buck walking straight down the fence line headed right to me. He came right to my blind, and walked right passed me. It was a few minutes before shooting light, so I let him go. I knew that the direction he was going, he was going to walk past Jacks stand. Jack is my buddies son. It wasn't more then a few minutes later, when BOOM!!!!! I sent him a text asking him if he got him. He replied I sure did!!! I was just as stoked as he was!!! What a great weekend. I stayed in my stand for another hour and a half, while him and his Dad gutted his deer. Then we headed to my house to butcher their deer for the rest of the day. We still have my tag, and 2 bonus tags left. Hope this weekend goes just as well as last.

[​IMG]

6. BigDaddy

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to mention that neither one of them had any signs of rutting yet. No swelled necks, and their hocks were not dark at all. Here is a doe I filled my bonus tag with earlier this year. I was out of venison, and needed to restock the freezer.

[​IMG]

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is exactly like the rut has not happened, much like a typical early October. I have a minimum of 4 breeding age does close by every time I hunt for the last hour to 45 minutes of daylight, not even the young bucks are chasing anymore not even night pictures of bucks. I really need some venison before next Thursday but I can not bring myself to shoot a doe when it is early november I have not shot a buck yet, you do not kill your live bait before you cast if you were fishing.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Finally typical November weather and wind, lucky hunt number 7 this afternoon.

9. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to be able to get out for maybe an hour tonight after work. Just going to sit the edge of a cut cornfield.

Expectations are not high but you never know.

10. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Just got a text from my brother... 10 does/fawns this morning and not a single buck.

What is going on.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like my season, I really don't get it either. It is like hunting mid october.

12. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Headed out tonight... It's been really slow.

13. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got some chasing going on. Had two chase through and my dad had a nice one chase a doe on by. Saw 11 deer yesterday which is a record for me. Still a lot of does without bucks on them, but it seems to be turning.

14. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saw some chasing yesterday also around 4 p.m. Nice buck and smaller buck chasing a doe zigzagging everywhere. Never came within 80 yards though. Still really cool to see as always. Only other time I've seen that this year was halloween morning.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1 doe and 3 fawns last night, it is getting old. Every night when I limp back to the house with my back and hips on fire I ask myself why am I wasting my time. I am going to medicate myself and recharge the tens machine for tonight. I am shooting the first doe I see processing a deer will remind me why I want to hunt. This is the worst hunting season I have had in years.

16. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been out much but I cant believe the number of, "big" to my standards, bucks have been shot around my area this year. Maybe people are actually starting to slow down on the brown it's down mentality. A guy can hope.

Will be trying to get out tomorrow morning before the storm rolls in.

17. Frydaddy

Frydaddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in the NW part of the state, and I agree....ALOT of nice bucks killed around here this year. For those that haven't seen good rut action, I believe that it's due to the Super Moon. I saw big bucks going hard until about last Tuesday, and after that all we were seeing was little baskets and spikes running around. I think the big boys went into lock down with their first does, and/or moved only at night for the past week. Hunting should be good before and after this big storm coming in.

18. Frydaddy

Frydaddy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday morning has all the makings to be magical. It's going to be overcast for a couple nights in a row with rising barometric pressure and a low in the teens for the first time this fall.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last night the does were moving like crazy, unfortunately I was watching from the house.

20. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting tomorrow?