<<<<TEAM 26 Thread>>>>

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by virginiashadow, Aug 15, 2016.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Had two does and a 4 point following morning. They all get a pass. Back at it later this afternoon.

Good luck a team 26.

2. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are BEASTS!!!

Nice job everyone........congrats to all that have scored and good luck to those still chasing.

Sorry I haven't been around in a bit but this has been a crazy season so far on many levels (some as serious as it gets unfortunately).

At camp with dad and brothers when we got word that my brothers wife was called in for tests on a serious health issue that has been silent for so long I almost forgot she ever went through it. Just a punch in the stomach and instant slap in the face full of perspective.

It was Halloween and now the whole family is upset but not much anyone can do until insurance OK's the testing. We decide to hunt until we know when she's going in and we all head out knowing this season could be anything........including over before it starts.

I saw a buck and he chased after my grunt........I felt lucky enough to have that encounter so I took my shot. He didn't go far and we all managed to piece together a semi normal night as a family even if all our minds were elsewhere.

We get the call from camp and all bolt for Syracuse where she was hospitalized by the time we got there. A few days of mental stress and way too many white coats and the words we were all waiting for came down. Apparently she had an underlying low level infection that was mimicking her past illness on bloodwork. They gave her some IV antibiotics and everything came back into place. I never cared less about deer in my life.

Thank GOD!!!........and funny as it sounds she looked at all of us and said "Shouldn't you guys be hunting"?? We pulled ourselves together and were suddenly eager for the woods again. We got cleaned up and headed back to camp and the look of relief on my brothers face will not leave my memory any time soon.

7:30am yesterday I hear dad's crossbow go off and he sends me a text that he shot at a buck. He is 70 years old and NEVER killed a deer with archery gear of any kind. I try to keep him calm and get him to sit still until I can come over and see what's up but it's a tough sell. Same stand as my Halloween buck and I see a lone doe headed my way........I just don't see lone does at this place this time of year. They ALWAYS have little ones in tow and I won't shoot a doe with fawns as a personal choice. I'm sure it's a button until she comes right up on me and to my shock it's a doe. She took a Killzone and it was time to go help dad. Not the best shot by dad and I tracked that thing through some nasty stuff but we found him after I convinced dad to wait until after lunch...........the look on his face was priceless when I told him I had more blood over here and then asked him which way he thinks it went. He dragged his exhausted frame over to me and looked up to try and help not realizing I was just waiting for him to see his buck up ahead. Dad was thrilled, I got to double up a doe with him and find his buck and we managed to pull off an OK week from what started off as a possible nightmare.

Hoping my brothers score in the next 11 days so we can have a group photo remembering a year almost lost.

Wish I could have done better for you guys but all things considered I'm just happy to be contributing at all........I'll score him tomorrow after I sleep for the first time in a week but I'm guessing 90's somewhere and 50 for the doe is 140ish neighborhood which is certainly not the best I can do...........but it's what I did. Hope it helps.

Rooting for all you guys to tag some more slammers!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Atlas, Im so glad your sister in laws health condition wasnt as serious as once predicted. Outstanding news!

And as for your deer, great work! Awesome stuff.

4. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I taped my Missouri buck out last night. 132.25 my biggest bow buck ever. Now I feel like I let you guys down with my smaller buck. Hopefully it doesn't come back to get us. Hope the rest of you guys have a good season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    OK....You did right by your son and that is all that matters! Awesome season for you...you haven't let a single person down. You are a machine!

6. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    It has been a great year for me and I'm just getting started. Taking another trip to southeast OK this weekend. Hoping to stick another good buck! Then back up to Missouri the first part of December with another buck tag.

7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good job team.
    Atlas. aint nutting wrong with that buck.

K guys, i tagged out last night bout 5p.m.
    he was not the buck i wanted and told myself i WAS NOT gonna shoot him when he showed up on cam 2 months ago.
    last night he came by following a doe. than a fawn came out and was limping real bad and was in very sorry shape.
    the buck lowered his head and charged the fawn pinning it down and goring the crap out of it right under me. the fawn was SCREAMING and i got pissed, grabbed my bow and killed him out of spite.
    while he was goring the fawn, at least 6 other bucks came storming in to watch. they were none big.
    was an insane mpmoment in the stand. he made it about 30 yards, stopped, and just tipped over.

i dropped him off at my taxidermist this a.m. he will score it and let me know.
    i'm guessing 115

8. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    That's a wild story for sure. I've never seen anything like that. I would have prob done the same thing though.

9. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like our whole team is close to tagging out. We are lighting it up this year.

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Bucksnbears, you made the right call. And good buck. I would be thrilled to shoot a 115 where I hunt.

THIS team is built to win
    . Keep hammering guys and gals. Ive put in a lot of work to be able to shoot a buck this year. Pickings have been real slim. I will keep going hard for another week. I'm gonna kill a buck or die trying.

11. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    keep trying VS. IS YOUR RUT GOING ON NOW?

[​IMG]

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Bucks, yes it is. They just started cruising hard on Monday. Im hoping that will continue for another few days until some chasing begins in earnest. So I think I have about a week of hard hunting left. Im putting all my chips on the table. I won't stop.

Great buck! ..just make sure you have two pics if you don't already.

13. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No let down here ok your biggest buck with bow that's damn good and a doe I'm proud to have you on this team keep sharing the outdoors with those kids and we will all benefit best of luck to the rest of team

14. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like Team 26 jumped into first place. Keep hammering guys. Let's not let off the gas now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

15. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Actually only half of us.

Potential is there to post a seriously impressive total.

Anyone hear from the 3-4 guys who haven't posted since check in?

16. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Sending good vibes fletch's way :) :) :)

You guys do realize he could double our score with a single arrow out there LOL

Good luck bud!!!

17. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First place right now gentlemen!! Great job you bunch of killers! I will be hitting it hard starting tomorrow and through the weekend. I don't have the numbers of really mature bucks to chase this year, but I have a handful that would be a great addition to our total. I will do my best to put a good one down.

18. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    he just called. scored 113 7/8

smallest i've shot in years

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Bucks, you did the right thing, got a nice buck with meat, and helped prevent a brutal death. You did good.

We need a few hundred more points to put us in the drivers seat come contest end.

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Junior, KY, Noel.....you guys alive? Lol