Beginner Tips?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by majorbowhunter, Nov 7, 2016.

1. majorbowhunter

majorbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year of bowhunting. I am heading out in roughly 10 days and really don't want to blow it because I usually get to hunt only about 5-10 days all season. So before I do go out, do any experts or even anyone have any tips that I should know?

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Move slowly, don't try and force a shot through brush, if you don't have a range finder walk off and mark you shooting lanes with yardage markers (tape or something). Most importantly have fun and be safe. Wear a harness if your in a stand. If you don't have one someone on here will likely give you one if you tell us where you are

3. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And make sure you take your time after you shoot one. Give it at least 30 minutes before tracking. Smell your arrow if you find it to be sure it doesn't smell like guts. If it does smell bad back out for 8 hours

4. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're putting too much pressure on yourself! Killing a deer with a bow is extremely difficult, and chances are you're not going to succeed unless you're already a very good hunter, you have a good spot, you've done your homework, and you have some luck.

I'd say just concentrate on scent control. Use scent free shower soap, laundry detergent and the spray you use as your getting dressed. Spray your boots too. Don't waste your $ on anything else.

There are lots of threads on scent control, shooting and tracking. I encourage you to read them if you're not comfortable.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Practice shooting your bow and get familiar with determining distances.

6. majorbowhunter

majorbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all!

7. Shuuter

Shuuter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for advice. This is my first fall hunting and I'm hunting public land and I've been hunting the same 80 acres for about a month and a half. I was scouting for a new spot to buy onSunday and came across this wooded saddle with a creek at the bottom of it. When I walked in I spooked two does that were eating and they ran off. I set up there today thinking that this would be a good spot (two hills, plenty of browse, the creek and the 2 does). I went in at 8 for an all day sit and came down at noon to scout for another spot for another day. When I did that I spooked a doe at the top of another saddle nearby.

My question is if I spooked them while I'm scouting is it pointless to setup in the places where I found them?

Thanks for your help!

8. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO ya can't beat the wind cuz' ya have to breathe

patience....patience calm yourself don't rush it. it will come

do not take a shot unless is no doubt in your mind you can make a clean kill.

enjoy.....