Divorced Over Sitka Gear bill....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by eric.landry.7583, Nov 8, 2016.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still using my scent lok suit that I bought 3 years ago that I got on sale.

I will never understand the hype over Sitka... because I will never own it. What features do they offer that justifies spending close to $1000 for a suit that the others don't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Skidooxman

Skidooxman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt sept to feb, NY and Maryland. I want to stay dry and warm with no wind passing through my gear. I'm going to spend the money to accomplish that. I have tested a bunch of gear and the reviews speak for themselves.

3. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I thought the same thing until I bought some....

4. cecil973

cecil973 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This whole thread makes me want to try their stuff out. The winter bow season in NJ (all of Jan.) is miserable for me in my field and stream bib and red head jacket. I layer up alot but its a little bit of a pain with so many layers. hmm

5. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just don't like their camo for hunting in my area.

The clothing is top notch, but I'll stick with Predator for treestand hunting.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have or have had close to all their pieces in both open county, Forest and now EV2... and a lot of solids as well. There are lots of things i have regretted buying in my life but Sitka gear isn't one of them. It's the best there is as far as performance and quality. Also in dealing with them they are second to none in CS, respectful to deal with, responsive to communications and appreciative of their customers.
    Furthermore you'd be hard pressed to find a company that is putting more back into hunting and conservation. The direction and image that they have prompted is second to none. Take a look at their films, look at the list of organizations that they support, read their magazine (insite). And you will see a company that is making a conscious decision to promote hunting in a respectful positive way.

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's really my go to camo. Everything I've bought over the years still fits and looks fantastic.

But that's me. I'm a guy that buys the vehicle I want and then keep it for 10 to 15 years.

I'm always looking for long-term value.

8. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    With that said I think it's made more for rifle hunters.

I hope the new stuff is quieter. Got a complaint hunting elk in New Mexico this year that the kneepads on my Timberlin pants made too much noise rubbing together walking. For rifle Hunter no big deal at 200 yards for a bow hunter, big deal.

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
  10. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have quite a few of the whitetail pieces in Elevated 2 camo... I have not been busted yet hunting with it...the camo works great and its plenty quiet. Plus I'm more comfortable on stand so I can stay in stand longer. I've shot three deer so far wearing mine.

11. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why is it your go to clothing now?

What really sets it apart from more affordable brands? What makes it "more comfortable?"

My scent lok suit is windoroof, scent proof, warm, and comfortable. I want to know what sets Sitka apart from what I have and what justifies spending hundreds more dollars on pieces of clothing.

I'm asking because I'm truly curious and have been looking at their pieces, but simply can't justify spending that much money on clothing.

12. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  13. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think what sets apart Sitka is they are great for the active hunter. They are great in a big range of conditions. I have the mountain pant.....it has been worn elk hunting in 80 degree weather and also whitetail hunting in 10 degree weather. Versatility is what I would say sets it apart. Dries quickly. If you are just stand hunting I don't know if it is needed, but you won't dislike most things they have. I will probably buy a second pair of mountain pants because I like them so much. Just looking for a sale.

KUIU and First Lite are also great brands for the same reason. Look for deals in the spring after the season. I have several merino wools from both of these companies and really like them for range of conditions also.

14. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Afflicted, any hint on what they are coming out with for whitetail?

15. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A friend of mine bought the Incinerator Jacket which is the most expensive one and he took it on a late season hunt in Iowa where the highs were about 0 and the lows were in the -10 to -20 range. He told us he couldnt keep the jacket zipped because it was too warm. Now, I am not going to buy a $600 jacket, but I have yet to see another jacket for hunting on the market that can do that without a battery.

I buy the light-mid weight stuff for elk hunting and use that for whitetails. Pants are ~200 full price and jackets are ~300-350 and I usually wait for sales, but it is kick *** and I would highly suggest it!

I have:

Timberline Pant
    Mountain Pant
    Long Sleeve 1/4 Zip
    Jetstream lite vest
    Kelvin Vest
    Jetstream Jacket
    Beanie Hat
    Light weight Gloves

I love the gear I have and don't have any regrets buying any of it. Buy it in pieces as you can afford it and when the sales are and you wont regret it. You may laugh at the Sitka hat and gloves but I used those gloves every day in MT and while the rest of the guys were getting slivers and cuts on their hands from the mountain I was always comfortable and could shoot my bow while wearing them so it was well worth it.

You can find stuff that is cheaper, but I don't believe you can find stuff that is better - for outer layers. The one thing I will go against sitka on is spending 75-100 dollars on a piece of base layer. You can find better price/quality than that.

16. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:

I thought they just updated their whitetail stuff? I thought western was next...

17. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Worth every penny. For me, I can layer and keep warm without bulk. I hate bulk. I don't want to be restricted drawing my bow or feel like the marshmallow man walking around. I get cold easily, so it's essential for me. The attention to detail from the zippers, to the pocket design, even the snaps (super quiet). I never pay full price. Always 40% off :) Not to mention what Trial mentioned. Great company all around in my experience.

Looking to add the fanatic line, and I should be almost complete. I've owned a lot in the Forest pattern, and now the EV2.

18. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:

For me what sets it apart above all else is the flexibility, durability, and comfort of the pants. I dare you to find a favorite pair of sweatpants that are more comfortable than sitka mountain or timberline pants. The knee pads take away some comfort but I take mine out for everything unless I ever went on a goat hunt.

Jake, for you hunting whitetails in MN, sitka may not make sense but when you get out west it is hands down better than any traditinal gear like Realtree, Scentlok, etc. However, I do think you would enjoy the whitetail gear if you were to buy some.

Since Sitka exploded, there are now other companies trying to do ride on their success like Kuiu, and they may have the same quality or a cheaper price, but to me Sitka is proven. The reason for this is that they don't have fashion designers making their clothing and trying to come up with patterns and pieces that are visually attractive to hunters, which most camo is made for. Real Tree camo is so popular because it is made to look good to people, not deer.

Sitka employs textile engineers that search the world for the best materials and fabrics. I believe Randy Newberg has a podcast with the Sitka team and they talk about this. Their patterns are scientifically proven to be more concealing than traditional camo. The DOD did this research and that is why Military moved to a similar digital pattern (before sitka camo about). And durability is hands down the best that I have ever used. I went on an 8 day mountain hunt and my gear is mark free.

If Sitka only had one or two of those traits, I wouldnt buy it. But the combination of durability, flexibility, and comfort is worth the sale prices I try to find. We had a hard hunt and my gear was the last thing on my mind, and that means a lot to me.

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use Scenlok too MnHunterr.....and have looked heavy into Sitka and First Lite....discussed both with numerous folks here and outside of this forum. Their honest opinion is for day to day stand hunting like I do, the difference in the tag won't justify the difference in the performance.....

....it truly is those long hikes in and their quick drying nature of design, mobility of motion and the active long haul hunting styles they are geared around that they'll shine in. So as I venture more to Public DIY stuff in KY, Montana and even Iowa hopefully where I might have a mile or two walk in, I have given serious thought about Sitka or First Lite for the reasons some here have illustrated and I've heard echoed by so so many people.

Personally, my style though....Scentlok is the best bang for the buck in my opinion for us stand whitetail hunters.

20. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I would say that if you were a serious late season cold weather guy, the incinerator or similar product lines may be worth it. Like if you hunted 20+ full days in December.