climber vs. lock on

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigEv, Oct 28, 2016.

1. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sportsman Guide for me! You can get a 3 pack for $30, cheaper if you're a member. You also get free shipping on orders over $100 I think it is.

| Sportsman's Guide

3. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for all of the input guys. i have a walmart lock on, that i will use for the remainder of the season..i bought the hawk helium sticks with a gift card i stumbled upon and cash i had tucked away. once i get out of school for the summer, i work 6 days a week and save up so i can focus on school and hunting once october hits. i will then be in the market for a new lock on.
    happy hunting and be safe out there guys.

4. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 5 millennium m100 hang ons and I love them, I use hawk ranger climbing sticks or the field and stream climbing sticks which are easy to install. I just get access to new property so I bought 2 hawk kickback hang on which is half the price of the millennium and just as comfy! might buy a few more and stock up.

5. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As much as archerytalk.com sucks, you can find some killer deals there and on these BH classifieds. You just have to be patient and something will come up. Good luck the rest of the season!

6. Monks

Monks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use both climber and hangon with sticks. Both have their place. If your getting busted in the climber then you need to adjust the trees your climbing. Climbers are nice on clean trees with little limbs. However you need to have some skyline break up behind you. Other trees that break up your silhouette. So pick a tree in tight proximity to other trees with limbs if possible. Or sit on the back side of the tree slightly quartered to where you will shoot. This means Standing a fair amount but not a big deal. The other thing is if you have a tree picked out, know you will setup in it is to bundle some limbs ahead of time and on your first climb tie a rope to them. Climb the tree then lift them up then attach them to the tree above the top portion of your climber behind you. A little work up front but once its done you create some break for the season.

7. TommyP

TommyP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to the hanging stand and sticks game but here's my combo. I got the Lone Wolf Alpha Tech for about $125 on sale at Cabelas last Christmas. I bought the Rivers Edge 4 pack of climbing sticks that get to 20 ft. Can't remember the price but I think they were on sale for about $70 at our local Fleet Farm. I also bought an RE single stick so I can get the full 20 feet up into a tree. I'm 57 years old and I wouldn't want to pack this combo in for miles but where I hunt it is doable by strapping the sticks to my stand for the hike in.

8. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Muddy Vantage hang on and the Muddy sticks. I have 6 sticks and bought a cheap after market stick to put at the base. It takes me 45 minutes to get all set up and sitting down. But I like it

9. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont get how one is better than the other for being busted? I get the other reasons why one can be better than the other..

10. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    for example, with a lock on, i can get into a nasty, thick sweetgum or oak with limbs everywhere. with my climber, i typically need a clean, straight tree. i mean there are exceptions to this. i do have some climbing trees on my property that are clean, straight, and have plenty of cover in front and behind.. but some places, it would require a lock on for me to get into the limbs.

thanks for all of the input guys.