Apple Trees

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Scott/IL, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried to hang a stand in a locust this past year. 4' up the tree and 2 bloody hands later, I called myself an idiot and went home.

But back to fruit trees. I'm basically trying to figure out where and how to find some more advanced trees (growth wise) now. Being as I'm only purchasing a few, and the end goal is more attractiveness for my dad's kill plots, I'm okay with the slightly higher price tag.

2. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I have had really good luck just at the local menards, you can buy three year old from the graft apple tree's for around 20 dollars a tree. in 2013 I planted a jona gold and a golden delicious I bought one day in there because they were on sale, the Jona gold put apples on this year. Just a tip, Go in there the first-second week of may, they have a sale every year the week of mothers day on there fruit tree's, they are usually marked down to 19.99 a tree. I fence them with a steel stake and five foot 2x4 grid steel fence. works good! You can Guess what my wife gets every year for mothers day! lol I am that guy!

Biggest thing is to mulch and fence them when you plant them, the mulch suppresses weed comp. and fence keeps them from the deer.
    2013 Jona-Gold
    [​IMG]

2009 ish? Gala
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

4. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

5. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  6. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have an apple tree question - So I fenced my trees in to protect them from deer, but forgot to put anything around the trunks. Rabbits cleaned the bark off the trees from ground to about 6" of height. Trees are 4 years old. Bases probably 4-6" in diameter. Think they will die? Anything I should do?

I did add drain tile sleeves now

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The experts say the best thing to put around the trucks is window screen and then staple it. It keeps insects, mice and rabbits off ot it but still will allow the tree to grow.

I don't know enough to know if the trees will make it.

Should look like this
    [​IMG]

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Couple more weeks and I'll know for sure how my apple trees pulled through their first winter. Hoping to see some healthy budding going on.

9. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BJE80- "Couple more weeks and I'll know for sure how my apple trees pulled through their first winter. Hoping to see some healthy budding going on."

I agree, I planted 12 apple trees last year, a good variety, I went and trimmed them a few weeks back and am excited to see how they are doing. I am also in central wisconsin and this winter wasn't to bad, so I hoping for the best.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really excited about tomorrow. I will be able to check on my apple trees finally and see how they survived their first winter and spring. Really hoping to see some blossoms. Hopefully I didn't lose any.

11. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    just for the record, I can't believe how much Home Depot charges for a 3 foot apple tree, almost $40!!!

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Holy cow. That is expensive. But food plotters are not their normal customers. They are targeting a different group that doesn't know any better and only will buy a few.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Apple trees are looking good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  14. Michael.herb

Michael.herb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone tried growing apple trees from seeds? Is the effort worth the squeeze?

15. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah should pay off for your kids. Loo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cant wait to plant mine.

17. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've done a bunch of research on this, from what I gather you will not likely get good production from a seed grown tree, at least not in the first 5-8 years. Also you can not grow a specificity desired Apple from the seed of that apple, as they will cross pollinate with a local tree. In order to get a desired Apple and such desired genetics you have to graft a root stock with the scion wood (new growth of a branch) from the tree/Apple you wish to clone.
    I however eat apples and pears like they're going out of style so I decided to start a bunch of seedlings- Apple and Pear, this spring. And just started my second batch. Some of the better, more sturdy sprouts I will use as rootstock to clone a tree that is on our family farm that produces awesome apples, and I also know of a really good pear tree that I'm going to clone. The other viable sprouts (some just don't grow good and straight) I will probably plant and support and see how they do production wise and just see what happens. I figure if nothing else it's a cheap fun project to do with my boys, although I'm probably enjoying it more than they are!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434247614.541233.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434247626.558727.jpg

18. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Brad, how are your apple trees doing this year?

I forgot all about this thread. I dropped the ball with my fruit plantings. Still a lot of interest in doing it. Maybe this spring I'll dabble into it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

19. habitat

habitat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The main thing to consider other than if the tree is good for you area is disease resistance.The trophy pear is not fire blight resistant.I cut down 6 producing trees 2 years ago.Cedar apple rust is not a big deal but you can spray to rpevent.Apples require more care than pears or crabapples.There are several nurseries such as Cummins,Turkey Creek,Adams.They all provide good trees on multiple root stocks.I invite any of you to come over to deerhunterforum.com and share what you know about habitat alsoBetween this site and DHF I barely have time to get in tree.

20. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Sota mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, fastgrowingtrees.com.

While pricey, they seem to have a quick turnaround for producing fruit. Any experiences?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk