Back surgery for bulging disc ?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sswpriz, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering if anyone here has had back surgery for a bulging disc and if so, how did it turn out for you ?
    Were there any complications ?
    Did it work as planned ?
    What is the recuperation time ?

I have a bulging disc that is starting to get the best of me, constant pain in the legs because it's pinching on the nerves to the legs, numbness in the feet most of the time.

I've tried a lot of excercises, stretching, chiropractors (made it worse at times), I've had 3 cortisone shots a number of years ago but that only lasted about 4 months, and I know that is not the answer.

The only thing that really alleviated some of the symptoms for me is acupuncture. But that is not a long term fix either.

I am going to talk to my primary when I have my physical later this month, but wanted to get some feedback from people who are in the same boat as I am.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well if it has gone on for this long looks like surgery is in your future. I know they don't typically want to do surgery unless there are nerves impacted. Good luck chronic back pain sucks.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My father has two lower disc fussed. His only regret was not doing it 5 years sooner.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had it done in 2001 after fighting it for about 5yrs. I too had all those things done that you describe only to have the symptoms return again and again. I could tell as soon as I woke up that the problem had been fixed. I have some issues from time to time but nothing like it was. Good luck!

Blessings.......Pastorjim

5. buckshank

buckshank Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had back surgery when I was 26 I figured I was moving about 3000 pounds a day by hand and being young and dumb I wasn't smart about it at all. It ended up to the point where my pain was so bad in my right leg I couldn't even drive to work anymore. I had the surgery after exhausting all other options and I'm better then new, also a lot smarter

6. buckshank

buckshank Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter was 3 at the time and she was great about it especially during my recovery my wife and stepson were very helpful too it took about 3months to get back to normal

7. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been battling it for about 11 months now and it's never-ending pain. My doctor told me I'm not a candidate for surgery but I also feel that he's just dragging me along to make as much money off of me for as long as he can. An MRI has shown that I have a pinched nerve and have constant pain. I'm just wondering what else it takes to be a candidate?

8. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a microdiscectomy done in 2004. I was at the point where I was dragging my left leg and in a lot of pain. Recovery time was about 6 weeks. It left a weak spot in my back that bothers me if I am bent at a certain angle. However, it was totally worth it.

9. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is the same procedure my wife's uncle had done and told me that it was worth it. I'm so tired of being in constant pain. I go back to the back doctor on Friday. I'm gonna mention this to him. I'm tired of jacking around with this.