Urine

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MasterHunter, Nov 2, 2016.

1. MasterHunter

MasterHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's junk and a waste of money, but my buddy swears by it. What say you? Be honest, state how many times you have used it and with what success. I tried it a while back and it did nothing, deer actually ignored it, pretty much spot on what other friends of mine say, 1 says it may have worked once or twice in the gazillion times he used it.

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you referring to your own urine or deer? I made a mock scrape today with my own piss and a doe went right to it. She stayed broadside for 5 minutes sniffing it. If it wasn't a fawn/Doe I would have shot her

3. MasterHunter

MasterHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    deer urine

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Blind man seen this coming :rolleyes:

[video]https://youtu.be/yNDUU4gHCuE[/video]

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Waste of money

6. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    I stopped buying deer piss a while ago. I can't smell and my wife can, so you can imagine what happens when she drives my Tahoe.

7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only when using a buck decoy or making a mock scrape.

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i only buy from a local deer farmer. The stuff is Fresh! i only get estrous and dominant buck and man i tell you there is su h a difference. i will never ever buy anything from the store ever again. The estrous almost smells sweet. i had a hot doe come past me with a buck about 5 min behind her right on her trail with nose to the ground. she crossed over a logging road that i drug a scent drag down to my stand. when that buck hit the logging road where my scent drag and her trail crossed he stopped for a min then came barreling down the logging road to my stand. he was a 3 yr old with a jacked up rack but i easily could have killed him.... sorry for the long winded story but that was the instant that made me a believer. not in scents all the time, but good quality scent at the RIGHT time can work!

9. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will use it.. but only in the deep south of Louisiana where the recovery rate is 100% in the big woods with rage 3 blades in my quiver.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you know what you're doing and when to use it, you can be very successful with it. You have to fool a bucks senses if you want to actually get him to come to you. It's that same as grunting and rattling, you are trying to trick that buck into thinking you are what he's after. If you can trick a couple of those bucks senses, you might just get a chance to punch your tag. I know of 3 bucks that I have killed that I most likely would have never even seen had it not been for a decoy, grunting and rattling and buck urine and doe in estrus.

11. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    When I was younger I would wash my cloth and place them in a trash bag, then I would soak a tag in buck urine and place that in the bag and tie it up over night. I had killed bucks using that method but as I grow older and wiser I think it was just dumb luck. You see I washed my cloth in regular detergent (scented). Now I do believe strongly about hanging a scented something or the other in trees around you, but not too much. Your not trying to turn you stand into a deer orgy. It doesn't work that way. Little is better too strong and it's not natural the deer will know something is not right. Kinda like our elections

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Scents and lures are like any tactic for attracting deer - sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I know every time I blow on my grunt tube or hit my rattling antlers together a buck doesn't come in, but that doesn't stop me from using them. For a relatively small price having a bottle of buck urine and doe estrous urine handy can be very helpful at times.

Personally speaking I'm in love with the Tink's Hot Shot products. I know they're a sponsor so my opinion seems skewed, however I'm being serious. IMO it's the easiest way to transport and dispense scent in a variety of situations. I like to spray the bottom of my boots with buck urine when I get within 100 yards or so of my stand. I can't tell you how many deer I've had cross my track, turn and follow it towards my tree. The Hot Shots are also great for use while in the stand. They can work as a wind detector and also help to put scent in the air on the down wind side of your location. If I see a deer headed that direction I pull it out and give it a few squirts. I've had a lot of positive reaction from deer when doing this. A few years ago in WI I was messing with a year old buck and kept spraying Tink's #69 every time he got down wind of me. He came back and forth in and out of bow range probably 4 or 5 times trying to figure out what was going on.

Yes, there are times when deer walk right by it and don't bat an eye. But that one time when you get a buck in the right mood and he comes into the scent you'll be glad you spent the $10 to have it.

13. PureBred

PureBred Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everything Justin said except for the Tinks part ;-). All bashing aside im a firm believer that the quality of the product has a major influence over the results. As mentioned, its not a guaranteed system as nothing is with hunting otherwise it would be called killing..personally speaking and without going into an multi-page article on the details on quality of urine I have had to many instances of bucks coming into drag's and scent wicks to not have it in my arsenal.

14. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have had bucks follow drag lines several times. Also had a small buck last year follow the tinks spray scent in.

15. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have countless picture of bucks right next to scrape drippers scrapping and rubbing so ill keep using them

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have had does bail out because of estrus piss I prefer to let the does do the work, but that is just me.