Teach me how to call please

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mottoman112, Oct 31, 2016.

1. mottoman112

mottoman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I know that the rut is about to kick into full effect and I don't know how to call! I know how to rattle that is it. But I know that that don't always work. I know that using doe bleats can be very effective at getting bucks to come in. But how often do u use them and when? And tips? Please help.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I rarely blind call...almost never! That said gentle and soft (2 or 3 blows) in different directions every 2 or 3 hours this time of year can yield results. Just don't get overly aggressive with em! Especially grunt calling...far too many guys like to sound like the biggest buck in the area....you will spook all but the most aggressive bucks.

Which is why I LOVE The Hook's Custom Call The Messenger it imitates the grunts I actually hear throughout the year and honestly is a soft almost a locator grunt style that won't spook deer...actually called in the one I shot this year with it.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will only use a grunt tube if I see a buck and I know he's not going to come my way on his own. I don't "blind call". Less is better with calls.

4. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm slowly learning this the hard way...calling can get you busted. The chances of a huge buck running in like an idiot to your grunting and standing broadside is slim. If a mature buck hears you call he may want to come in but he will do so downwind. I don't know that what you see on tv is the norm. Just blowing on a grunt tube and 10 minutes later a 170 inch buck comes running in. I wonder how many times the guys on tv had to get busted before that happened. And I also wonder how many of them video themselves grunting and then they shoot a buck 4 hours later and just puts the two videos together in order to sell their product.

I know grunting and rattling can work but I haven't had much success. I'd say less is more and be very sure that you can see a good ways down wind if you are going to do it.

5. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the key...the mature buck grunt tube they're selling you will scare the buck you want (unless you're after the biggest guy). Use a contact grunt call (most are fool proof) or use the big grunt call sparingly and lightly to draw in the curious or the fighters. Just be ready! The only way to screw it up is too much or too loud.

6. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do a lot of calling through the season and right now the roar is about the only call I will use, although I do add some tending grunts on the end every once in a while.

Like others have said "don't try to sound like the most mature buck in your woods". I almost always grunt/roar like a 1.5-2.5 year old buck as I like to call to every buck in the woods.

I ended up roaring in 8 bucks today and they ranged from a 1.5 year old spike to a couple of 5.5+ year old bruisers. I'd of stopped at the second one in but........ that's a long story :bigcry: and #7 hung up at 40 yards and never presented a shot. Oh well, can't win them all :)

7. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is that like a Katy Perry Roar?

8. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Didn't know that she roared but I do know a little about the buck roar, it kills a lot of bucks for me :)

I ended up roaring 7 times from 2 stands, on a small property, and will add that I don't normally call that much from 1 spot but this was the only day that I planned to hunt it.

9. Steve Daniel

Steve Daniel Newb

Dislikes Received:

10. Steve Daniel

Steve Daniel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Calling too much or too aggressive will get you busted by Turkey and older Deer. Unless the most aggressive, biggest, baddest, buck comes, most every other Deer will slip off and avoid the confrontation. The occasional Fawn Bleat or soft Doe call works pretty well.
    If I have Deer grunting or making other noises, I keep silent... Same goes for Turkey.