The Wife and Her Downy

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Buckdragger, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Buckdragger

Buckdragger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So my wife has a strange infatuation with fabric softener, she uses it on everything. So much so that no matter what goes in the washer and dryer even if I add scent free soap it comes out smelling like downy! Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can wash my hunting clothes at home without that smell getting into everything!? Also I want to make sure i don't ruin my washer and dryer in the process. Thanks for any suggestions. PS I have already asked her if she would just stop using the fabric softener for just the couple of weeks leading up to bow season and through November. (she says she doesn't like that idea):deadhorse:

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wash them in a tub of water by hand or in the washer and dry on a clothes line?

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I run an empty load with scent free soap, then do a load of my underwear socks t shirt that I wear hunting, next load is base layers, then the camo same treatment of the dryer I spray it down with scent free spray and progress thru the layers, then I ozone treat it all.

4. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like Sota I will run an empty load with the scent free soap then I wash my base layers, then I wash my outer layers. I will also spray down the dryer and then wipe it down.

5. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't chance it personally. I would take the time to wash them in the bathtub or in a large bin you can pick up at Walmart. Then hang them to dry. As long as you get dressed in the field, you shouldn't need to wash them often. You may also want to store your clothes in an airtight container and add a few pine branches and other aromatic things you find around your hunting area.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    im dealing with same dilemma. also i have a front loader which sucks in my personal opinion but heres what i do.... my washer has a "tub cleanse" cycle. it runs straight water for about an hour and a half. i add bleach and vinegar to this cycle. i then run a "rinse" cycle (straight water). Then i will run an empty load with my dead down wind. then i run my cycle. Fabric softener is the worst so in the dryer i would wipe out with something that will cut the film like IPA then wipe out with dry cloth. Or better yet air dry outside.Be careful with the ipa though its flammable. After all this comes an ozone treatment. This is just what i do. You cant be too extreme with scent care

7. Buckdragger

Buckdragger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all for the advise. I am going to invest in an ozone system soon. I am using a REALLY cheap one now that helps but isn't doing the job I had hoped. I think I will start to try and hang all my clothes to dry outside that way I only have to worry about the cleanliness of the washer the only thing I'll have to figure out then is how many times a year I will get up the gumption to clean out the dryer to reactivate the scentlok portions of my gear. I never thought of spraying the dryer drum with scent eliminator products. I hope one day to have the space and the cash to get a new set of washer and dryers for my wife and take over the old set (after cleaning it of course) for my hunting stuff.

8. Buckdragger

Buckdragger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    "I run an empty load with scent free soap, then do a load of my underwear socks t shirt that I wear hunting, next load is base layers, then the camo same treatment of the dryer I spray it down with scent free spray and progress thru the layers, then I ozone treat it all."

Definitely like the idea of this. It would seem that the washer and dryer would get more clean with each load. Ill have to try it out! Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get a scent crusher bag. I have one and it's awesome, kills the smell on literally anything. I never wash anything other than base layers now.

10. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tell her to take it to the Laundromat or stop using the downy for a couple months.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Tell her to switch to Snuggle. Nobody can be scared by this cute little guy.

[​IMG]

12. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know a guy that bought a cheap top-loading washer that he uses just a for hunting stuff.

I just run an empty cycle with scent free soap,seems to work.

14. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife is the same. I do what I can and hunt the wind.

She's also a fantastic cook and many time I'll be washing my cloths at night and as I pull them out of the washer or dryer they immediately get hit with the smell of great home cooking. I laugh, what am I going to do, get mad at her?:)

15. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yep.:)

16. Wayne/MO

Wayne/MO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    All my hunting clothes get washed outside in a plastic tote with baking soda by hand. Let dry outside for a couple days and they're good to go.

17. kahneyjd

kahneyjd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just wash them by hand and hang them outside.

18. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the same conversation in my house. :) She also borrows my truck and I've asked that she not wear perfume on those days.

My fear is that I will push the rules too hard and she will make me start doing the laundry! Oh, the horror!!!! :eek2: :argue:

19. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hang outside on a clothes line for a month before the season. After a dry spell, so they are dry, then put them in a plastic bin with apples. Every second use or so spray them down with your favorite scent killer and put them back in the bin with fresh apples. Hang them outside whenever it is dry for a couple days.

20. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also, depending on the washer - mine has the tray that comes out (where you pour in the soap) - I rinse and wash that before doing a load of laundry. That gets rid of the excess laundry soap/softner that is laying in there.

If I do more than a couple things - I'll also do a quick load (toss in a towel) to wash the washer before.