Don't know if i hit deer or missed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shock em, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Shock em

Shock em Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Went to scout a spot tonight and ended up having a nice buck walk up on me when I got there. I am new to bow hunting and just started hunting with a cross bow. Long story short, i took my shot right before dark and am not sure if i hit or not. Deer ran off flagging tail and stopped and wheezed 3 time like 30 yards after i shot at it before running off. I waited about an hour before looking for my arrow. I couldnt find the arrow or any blood and he was standing in a dirt spot when i shot. Could my arrow be stuck in him with out finding blood within 100 yards? When you hit a deer with a crossbow does it make a thud noise like a rifle or will it just pass through without a noise?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its hard to say. If he was definately hit I dont think he would have blown the whistle back at you after shooting. It sounds like you missed but I would get back in there when its daylight and look around.

3. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    was he wheezing or blowing? If he blew at you and then took off, you probably missed him. If he was struggling to breath, then....

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like a miss. do everything you can to be sure. Start at the spot you shot him and try to follow to the spot he stopped and was wheezing/blowing.

5. DeepSouthDad

DeepSouthDad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What crossbow were you using? Go to spot you shot from and pace off to where he was standing when you shot. Visualize your shot. Where did you aim? What line on the crosshairs did you use? How many yards was it? Did the shot sound or feel funny?

I have a hard time believing you just missed with a crossbow they are extremely forgiving and accurate. Maybe if you had the bolt loaded wrong and I have done that in the heat of the moment when I first got one. Didn't seat the nock, busted the fiberglass it came out sideways and went 20 feet to the right of where I was aiming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    thats one of the issues from shooting from the ground, if you miss the arrow just keeps going.
    harder to find.

7. Shock em

Shock em Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went out late and looked for the arrow with a buddy and couldn't find it. I was shooting down hill across a small hole of water and figured it would have stuck in the mud. I didn't find any blood yet either. I shoot a pse fang and am very particular with setting my arrow right when i sit so i am sure it was nocked right and the shot felt normal. I am looking again on my lunch today to see if i hit it at all.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

8. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a hard time believing it. He likely did not range the shot so if he misjudged the distance by as little as 5 yards, he could have shot over or under the deer. Shooting up or downhill will cause you to hit higher than on flat ground as well. Just like with a compound bow. Crossbows don't shoot flat like a rifle. Range estimation is still critical. If the deer was 20 yards and he shot it for 30 yards he would definitely sail it over the deer's back.

9. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Swing and a miss!

10. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a miss.Most times if they are hit they'll run full speed to get out there,not stop and blow.

11. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like miss. Hard hit deer hunker down and run. A cross bow hits so hard you should hear the smack. My guess is you jerked when you shot and sailed over his back. Buck fever! Lighted knocks are wonderful things.

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing to think about there might have been a second deer. And that was the one blowing at you. When focused on one thing sometimes it's hard to see what's around.

13. Buckdragger

Buckdragger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I second this. I once shot a big 8 point at 40yds he spun out clockwise (or toward the shot instead of away)and my arrow just caught the front part of his brisket he took off like he wasn't phased and in the next 15 seconds I heard him Blowing just like a doe that pegged you in the stand. I looked for blood and found nothing near the shot it wasn't only till i walked up the hill quite a ways that I almost slipped in a puddle the size of a Samsonite briefcase that realized that gasping for air can sound alot like an alert wheeze or "BLOW." the deer was about 100yds from where I shot him down hill and my arrow I found by accident. it was a complete pass through and sailed about thirty plus yards down the trail from where the POI was initially. Keep the faith my friend he could yet be out there. mine is hanging on the wall right now!