***Antler Apostles - Team 1***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by MGH_PA, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Short.

The wife wants to sit out tonight to stick a pig. We will be headed out around10:30 CST. Hopefully we can manage a double but Id be happy with one good eaten sized one. If y'all wake up to pics in the morning then it was a success. Good luck to everyone headed out to the stand when they get a chance.

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Atta boy. That puts us at 150pts. Keep them coming!

Sent from my Turbo 2.

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't see anything Saturday night. Sunday morning out of the same stand I saw a nice doe. Sunday night I hunted a new stand and saw a 1.5 year old doe, doe and fawn and a basket 8. The buck was chasing the doe all over the bean field. I got down to walk back to the truck when it was just dark enough to see antlers through the binoculars. I was walking across the field to get back to my truck when I saw a silhouette coming towards me. Got down on one knee and grabbed the binoculars. It was that buck trotting towards me. I was close enough to a field edge that I got there quickly and then ran to my truck before he could get downwind of me. The closest he got to me was about 60 yards. Pretty cool to see but glad he didn't get any closer as he was on a mission; what that was, I have no idea.

4. keepfallingup

keepfallingup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well tomorrow will be my first sit of the year. It's been a long time coming. Never been this late in the season before I was able to get out but oh well. Headed to a new property that I got this year. It's just a small parcel of woods that makes up a bigger wood lot. Going to hang and hunt and check the cameras on the way out. Here's to a good first sit!!! Good luck to you guys this weekend!

5. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck.

6. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    How's it going everyone?

7. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well Im getting ready to plan a trip to west Texas and one out to east Texas. So hopefully have some luck there.

8. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Finished combining and corn stalk bales this weekend. Just tillage left so hoping to be able to get out a lot before gun opener the first weekend of November.

9. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have been out once in the last week. This past Saturday, I was 5yds from getting a shot at a 130" 8. He went low and needed to go high. Had to watch helplessly as he walked away out of range. He didn't respond to my grunts, either.

Heading out tonight. Weather is coming tonight, and with cool temps and rising pressure, I'm hitting my brassica plot. Hopefully catch an early cruiser.

10. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

Printing off a bunch of weather reports and moon/barometer readings to see when "the perfect storm" is so I can take a day or two off from work.

11. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got out on monday, didn't see any deer, but found a couple of scrapes, I am hoping to be able to spend two out of the next three days in the woods, mon-wednesdays are usually booked. I did get a pretty close encounter with a black bear though! I was actually doing some squirrel hunting/exploring a tract of public land, I found a pretty cool spot to sit during the rut and as I was clearing a spot to sit I heard some noise off to my right, about 25 yards away was a large bear staring right at me, once I moved a little he turned and walked behind a bush, but he was still checking me out.
    I took my little .22 and popped off a shot in his rear end... jk, I just shot the ground about 10 ft away from him and he took off. It was a pretty cool experience! but had me a little nervous, since he was directly downwind of me and knew I was there, usually when I run into bears they take off.

12. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Friday 72
    Saturday 55

Will be hunting for sure. Also plan on hunting tomorrow morning for a couple hours.

What are you guys' thoughts/experiences on barometric pressure and movement?

13. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a doe and two fawns this morning along with some roosters and a bunch of geese. Wasn't my top stand choice but the only one that worked with the weather conditions I had. Good to be back out again though.

14. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    One doe and two fawns on my drive out this morning. One doe while on stand and a small buck on my drive home. Different stand tonight.

15. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry guys, I haven't hunted or been or the computer much this year.

I did make it out this morning as the rut is kicking off around here. Temps are a little warm so most of the action is happening at night but regardless things are starting to heat up!
    I managed to call in 7 bucks this morning, which is a personal best, but only because I screwed up on the 2nd buck in. Not sure why I done it but I opted to not stop the buck for the shot and let him walk me in to a tree......... not the first time for me and probably wont be the last :)

Just a heads up: If the rut is starting in your area, start using a roar call!! I called blind 6 times and ended up with 7 bucks and 2 of those being shooters! I like to roar like a 1.5 - 2.5 year old buck and usually end up letting out 3-4 roars followed by a few tending grunts. Not sure if those store bought calls are adjustable or not but it would be worth checking in to!

16. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got drawn for a 15 day archery hunt to shoot two bucks and A doe. I get to hunt a piece of land that hasn't been hunted for some years. Other areas have produced mid 150s in the past so hopefully there's a nice sleeper in my area. We have to shoot a doe first hopefully get that done soon. So I'm off to work at a wedding tonight then pack up and head out in the morning. Good luck to all of y'all Headed out to hunt. We need to put some points on the board.

Oh yeah almost forgot to mention the fun part of this hunt. I have to kayak across a part of a lake to get to my area and this lake is known to have 15 foot alligators. I just hope I can get all of my deer out in one piece if I shoot any.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  17. keepfallingup

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, I was fortunate to put a buck down yesterday morning. It's a small 7 pointer but I'm plenty happy with him. When I have more time I will get you guys the story, pics, and get him entered. Hope everyone is enjoying being in the woods!

18. keepfallingup

Dislikes Received:
    Alright. Here is some info on my buck. I believe I mentioned that i had really limited time for hunting this year. I bought a business so that sucked a lot of my time. My dad and I also lost our property that we hunted last year so things were not looking too good from the beginning of the season. I was able to hunt a 3 acre corner of woods that made up a large wood lot. It was private and looked nice, but not a whole lot of deer sigh. But it was what I had. Also it took an hour and 20 for me to get there, so this was only a weekend spot. I sat an evening and morning with no sightings of a deer. The camera was picking up some deer and I had a couple nice bucks show up at the end of october. So on the 4th of Nov. i drove up and was in the stand around 2. I finally saw a deer! It was a 7 pointer and it was going to skirt me at 60 yards or so. I gave him a few grunts and he looked and turned towards me. He stopped behind me at 12 yards giving me a easy broadside shot but I decided to pass. Looking back I don't know why really. Maybe because I was going to sit all day on Saturday. Whatever, it was a great experience and I just love seeing deer. So the next day I was in the tree well before light. I had a small buck at first light 100 yards off. Then two more crossed through some thick stuff in front of me at half hour intervals after that. And then it happened...quickly!!! It was a good thing I was standing because I feel like it only took 10 seconds from when I saw him to him being silent in the woods. All of a sudden a buck was at 12 yards over my right shoulder headed out in front of me. The direction he was heading was right into the thick brush so I knew I had no time to mess around. Grabbed my bow, drew, stopped him in a small opening, settled in and let it fly. I knew I hit him good, saw blood on impact and it looked like a heart shot. He arced infront of me, lost him in the brush but heard him crash and then silence. Whoa!!! Did that really happen!!! I was saying that over and over to myself. Couldn't believe it. Was really pumped! He ended up being smaller than I thought when I shot him but even if I saw him coming from 100 yards off I would have taken him. It was just nice to have everything come together. He only went about 50 yards after the shot and it was indeed a heart shot. He is a 7 pointer with a score of 81 3/4. We already had the ribs and they were tasty!!! Good luck to everyone out there!!!

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

19. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
  20. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been out for a while because it's gun season here and I try to stay off our property to give them a little refuge during the 9 day season. It ends this Sunday so hopefully will be able to hunt pretty hard next week.