***Lung Punchers - Team 11***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by pick00l, Aug 15, 2016.

1. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK. Story and quality pic time.

Buck was taken on public game lands in PA. Been chasing a few big ones for several years however, always playing cat and mouse.

Saturday morning I met my dad at the parking lot and he asked me where I was headed. I was undecided and had 10 minutes to make a choice. I have a couple hang-ons in good spots however, there is an area 80 yards from one hang-on that I love and would need my climber. It has awesome views however, deer often are not in range. Last archery buck I took from there so, it is lucy at times!!! Well...preparing for everything, I packed my climber the night before. At 1 minute left, I still did not know. Walking back from his truck to my car, I popped the trunk and grabbed the climber. This meant making the 1.5 mile hike with LW climber and back-pack full of gear. Not the easiest choice for a 4 hour hunt. I was setup and ready as shooting light hit.

The view that morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dad rattled in a small 6 and ran across a spiker in the early am. I grunted a bit and rattled with nothing showing up.

About 8:40 I had a momma and two cubs slide past my back side about 80 yards out.

About 9:30 I noticed movement and a doe to my left (the thicker side with fewer shots). She was not moving much and really just standing there looking around. About a minute later, I heard a grunt and saw horns 10-15 yards in back of her. I knew it was one of the bigger bucks we have been after. She is about 25 yards out and looks like she might continue walking on my left which might give me a shot of the buck at 30-35 yards or nothing. At that point, she actually turned directly toward me and walked 5 yards closer! In turn he walked 5 yards closer. He was actually flanking her. Never once did he get closer to her or push her. I was personally hoping he would push her in front of me and give me a less than 20 yard shot. That never happened.

She remained in the same spot for almost 10 minutes. She did not move her feet. She stood there looking around, smelling, and eating some moss type material from an old blow down. During this time, The buck was hidden by two trees but, only about 25 yards out.

After that 10 minutes. I suddenly heard a snortwheeze. This was my first time ever hearing a buck make that sound. He did this twice. Seconds later, another much smaller buck showed up about 20 - 25 yards out and to my left.

Well...things got interesting quick. I thought I was going to have an opportunity to fling an arrow as the big buck moved toward the little guy. He moved closer to me and the other buck. At this time. I had a broadside shot about 22/25 yards however, three small branches were in the way of the vitals. I could not believe my luck.

So now I processed in my mind two options. 1. He is going to push forward and chase the little guy off. 3 more steps toward that little guy and I can shoot. 2. The doe is going to bolt based upon impending dangers....and when she does, he is going to turn and go after her.

View of the shot. Look for the faint red box I put in this photo. That is where I put the arrow. Buck was inbetween some of the pines across the water.

[​IMG]

Quick note: When I was processing the options, I spotted an 18 inch opening between two trees for my arrow to fit through which was closer to me and a wider gap of about 4 feet that I could see him walk through. If he turns to follow the doe, I can draw, center in the opening and wait for him to pass.

5 seconds later, I hear the doe bolt. Instantly he turns and starts to follow. I draw, settle on the opening I just visualized, saw his front legs start pass, and let the arrow fly!

Watched it hit what I knew was a bit farther back than I would have liked and a bit high. He goes ballistic running away. Other buck flies out of there and the doe who did not jump far, is taking off. I watch him running and he appeared to make it up and over a ridge about 80 yards from me. I'm excited, know it is a killer hit however, not sure how quick it will get the job done. I start making calls and texts :)

Waited an hour to get down and checked for blood at the point of impact. Saw only two pin head drops of blood and piece of skin. Then took two more steps and found where he jumped over a branch and was plenty of blood. I did not want to start tracking however, I did want to see if the good blood continued on the other side of the branch. I took a few more steps and found my arrow covered in blood. That is when I really felt good about it all.

First sign of the hit:
    [​IMG]

Better blood:
    [​IMG]

Met my dad at 11:30 and I told him I did not want to start tracking till after lunch so, 45 minute walk to the car. Hour lunch, 45 minute walk back...the deer has sat for almost 5 hours. Has to be dead however, how far will we track it? Heavy blood trail lead us between 80 and 100 yards to the top of the ridge. Where I thought I had actually lost sight of him...was him crashing down. He was dead within a minute or two of the shot....I could have not waited at all however, knew he was big and think I made the right choice regardless.

While waiting in my stand to get down. I saw two other doe and kicked another deer walking out. It was a day that was meant to be!

I was only able to measure the inside spread and looked like 22.5 / 22.75. I will do full scoring between and butcher and taxi.

More glory shots. Note: When we went back in from lunch, we went light. I left my bow and we only took my dad's cross bow. Hence, no bow shots while in the woods. I also tried some shots with my hat being orange and fully camo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only shot I could do with my dad. Wish we could have both got in a good pic with it. Will have to wait until it's a mount now...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. kansasfever

kansasfever Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story and a great buck!

3. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! Huge deer! I have never seen one that big in the woods yet!

I'll be heading back up to GA this weekend!

4. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Team -

Scoring announcement. Right now we have

Kansas - Doe, 50 points and recorded on the scorecard.

Billy - Doe, 50 points, NOT recorded yet on the scorecard. Please let me know if you need any help in the scoring thread or if you did not have the rights pics to properly receive a score.

Pick (me) - Buck XXX points. I will post once I get the head back and measure. Off to work on a doe now!

Lots of good bucks showing up on cams and still lots of time to put down doe. Continued luck to everyone as the rut hits! It's the time of year we all look forward to.

5. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. This is the largest I have seen in the woods as well! Maybe one other one 3 years ago with much longer tines but, not as wide. Either way I am fortunate. I'm also bummed that buck season is over for me. I'll still go out and try to hit a doe and or a bear in the next two weeks.

6. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    JD that is such a great buck real happy for you!

Came down to South Carolina for some hurricane clean up. Can't wait to get back to the tree but this has been a real good trip for me! Hope to get some points soon.

ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1477957766.685635.jpg

ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1477957865.431799.jpg

7. Billy Pulsifer

Billy Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I posted it up properly, they just haven't updated the score card last I knew

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8. kansasfever

Dislikes Received:
    Billy it says date needed in order to count your doe.

9. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Headed out in the morning! Gonna bring the decoy and rattling horns. Fingers crossed!!

10. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for seeing that!

11. Billy Pulsifer

Dislikes Received:
    Updated, I had to reply for some reason

12. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK team. I updated the scoring thread with my buck. Should add 154.5 points to our total!

13. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    How'd you do with the decoy any action?

14. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Finally put one on the ground! Took us awhile to find her

15. Billy Pulsifer

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

New addition to the family! Kenna Lee! 9.75# 20.5"

16. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best post yet. I wish your family a lifetime of health and happiness!!!

17. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Love to hear the story when you have time.

18. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Team - had one of the most exciting times in the woods yesterday with my father. We saw deer all day long. There was a period from 12:30 to 430 where we did not go more than 10 minutes without seeing fur moving.

Here, a doe was close to being in heat and a nice big 9 pointer was not letting any of the other bucks around. She must have been bedded down all afternoon in front of my father and I. We were sitting in the same spot. We saw at least 7 other bucks. Maybe more. The big one never did get close enough however a nice 7 came within 20 yards and my dad passed. I think he regrets it a little but, easy to pass with bigger bucks 80 yards away. I saw a couple doe but, nothing within range. Was a special day.

PA is going into the last week. I'll be hunting Sat am, then not again until the last Friday and Saturday. Headed toward Billy. Oak Orchard NY to fish.

Continued luck to everyone. Remember, take a deep breadth and enjoy what's around us.

19. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Great looking family Billy. Congratulations!

20. kansasfever

Dislikes Received:
    Whole lot of awesomeness happening team! Congrats Billy definitely the best news all day! Congrats on the doe Camo!