Minnesota 2016

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Birdswacker, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't think I will be able to get out until Friday... Trying to work some magic with work so I can hunt Thursday too.

2. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm headed out in the morning, it'll be the last time I bowhunt before the Orange Army comes in... Might try some rattling or bring my decoy with.

3. rockinrod12

rockinrod12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hunting Whitewater since Sunday. Last night I had 5 does in front of me for 20 mins. I was hoping for a buck to check them but no luck. This morning had a 6 point come through but otherwise not a lot.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Back at it today going to hunt this afternoon, at least it will be cloudy. Dang weather is too warm and too stable.

5. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't get out this morning? Coolest morning we're gunna have for almost a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't do morning hunts, impossible to get to the stand without pushing deer out.

7. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Ah that's right. I remember you saying that last year. I'll be out tomorrow and Friday evenings. Heading to little falls to my brothers for rifle opener.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on hunting Friday night too pretty much have to hunt saturday if I don't shoot a deer before than. I have never not been tagged out before gun season started.

9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Going to hunt tonight and if I have to, all day tomorrow. Once gun season opens I'm going to set myself in the middle of our property and hope a bunch of idiots push deer to me.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Was an interesting sit had all the does there even the 2 first year breeders. Has an 8 point chasing and grunting had him in easy range 3 times called him back the last time with a grunt, too bad he was just a lad 125 or so pisses me off even 5 years ago I would have shot him and been smiling ear to ear. Still early won't get worried till next week.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say I am starting to get hungry watching fat does standing broadside at 30 yards.

12. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Two 1.5 year old bucks and small doe tonight.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

13. Imtodd4791

Imtodd4791 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will share my previous weekend story. Try and keep it short. I'm a public land hunter first and foremost...nice chunk of land, landlocked by private property. Must wear waders to hike through marsh and cross river, about a mile. This was before archery opener. Beautiful (what I thought was realativley unpreasured) deer country, more sign than I've ever seen anywhere. Put a camera up, checked it after the opener, tons of deer all day and a swath of small game hunters...no big deal. Found a beautiful funnel needing a SW to N wind to hunt. Asked off work for 31st and 1st with the weekend to hunt as well. Camera showed all sorts of little bucks and two great 8 pointers, one at least 140 (monstrous by my standards). Hunted all day Saturday through the rain, nothing until the rain quit at 5 and then I had 3 different basket bucks chasing does all around me but no big guy. Sunday morning was perfect. Made the trek got situated and at 8:00 some rustling and crashing across the little marsh in front of me and a doe runs out about 60 yards out and stopped, looked behind her, it was the the big 8 coming right for me. He turned 25 yards behind a small opening I had cleared (and holy ****, he stopped right behind it). It was an odd angle but certainly a good kill area, had the draw on him, checked twice, let the arrow fly, it felt good looked good until the deer ran and I saw the arrow just sticking out and fall out about 20 yards as I watch the buck run until I couldn't see anymore. What I thought was a great shot, got me thinking. The arrow will tell the tale. I waited an hour, got down to where he was...nothing, found my arrow, broadhead unscrewed out and blood about an inch down the shaft, with the color of a small cut on your finger. Looked for anything and nothing. I went back to my stand, feeling miserable. The rest of the day the woods became alive with bow hunters that were all coming from where the deer were. Good thing, I'm in a funnel, they come to me, bad thing, no bucks, all does that came downwind and found me. Then some there dude with a pole saw 100 yards from me getting ready for gun season I'm assuming. One guy comes by me, I whistle, he waves, walks away for an hour, comes back, walks right by me, right through the funnel to the far ridge and walked a giant circle, stomping and coughing like an idiot ( hope he's reading this) all around 4:30 or so, back up around me and back the way he came. Didn't see anything that night. Wind changed to SSE and gusty...not good but that's all I had. Nothing but I did hear two bucks fighting way downwind of me..not good. Saw nothing. Took my camera home. Went to get chip, chip was stolen....awesome. I guess nowadays I should thank the person for not stealing the whole camera. Like everyone says, I had two deer by this time last year. I hate gun season, especially the timing of it here. I don't put much into it but was hoping this would be a gem and have that buck hanging. I've never seen that amount of people activity anywhere bow hunting. Didn't realize all the folks with property butting the public would be out there. Sometimes a guy walks by but doesn't walk through and act like a prick. Can't imagine gun season there. Won't go. Anyway, to all the folks that put hours of scouting practicing for that one moment and have it crushed, it happens... So I'm out of that area now, it will be great for early season next year and now my next time out is this weekend, yay and I'll be in Carlos Avery..double yay...upper 60's triple yay. Found on a whim and a prayer..we'll see. If you're going out this weekend, good luck, be safe and shoot straight. I'm now more wise than last season

14. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    It SHOULD NOT be this hot on November 3rd...

15. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No kidding. This weekend I'm going hunting just to play deer pong with the orange coats. The older I get the less patience I have for them.

16. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Going to put the squeeze on a new buck on Saturday. Odds wont be good and this weather sucks but have to try.

17. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  18. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Monster Raxx

19. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Had my number 1 buck at 72 yards tonight. Dogging a doe and a fawn.

20. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a dandy! Good luck!
    SE Mn deer?