***Sons of Actaeon -TEAM 25***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Aug 14, 2016.

1. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry haven't been on here much guys been crazy busy. If I'm not working in either sleeping or in a tree somewhere. Like Ty said I came real close with a buck I call high and tight. Not a real big deer but still old enough to be a shooter in my book. (3.5) Good news is it was a clean miss and was right back on him the morning almost being able to redeem myself. Pulled the card where I almost got another shot and he was killable 3 times last week not counting my two encounters. I have a match to settle with him so tomorrow morning I will be able to get back in there. Did have two other bucks show up that peeked my interest also. Sad news is my big 9 I had a encounter with earlier in the season. To be honest I will probably be pulling my stands on the field property due to conflict with neighbor that's not worth it to me to deal with

2. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a real cool encounter this morning with the 'Big 9' I am after. I shot him hitting him high. He dropped like a brick and laid 21 yards away for what seemed to be 3 minutes or so. The celebration was on. I had enough time to take a picture of him from the stand. As the flash from my phone went off it startled him. He began thrashing around pulling himself a couple yards closer to me. His back legs appeared paralyzed. I grabbed my bow, put another arrow on and just before I started to draw he pulled himself to a ravine in front of me where I could not take a shot. It was crazy. He then got back on his four feet and walk fast up the hill snorting several times.

I waited an hour in disbelief before getting down.

I could have shot him several times immediately after the shot and have since been told when a deer drops, essentially piles up immediately, shoot him again. That is what everyone should do.

The broad head broke off in the deer but the arrow is fully intact but bent on the end. There was not much penetration either. But there was some blood for a total of about 250 yards and then nothing. It was latterly down too small specks at the end. A couple friends and I looked for a while trying to find a direction of travel from last blood but found nothing.

The Good News: At 4pm I went back to the same stand again. I ended up seeing 8 bucks a 11 does so the intrusion did not seem to effect the movement. I also saw him from about 60 yards but he would not come down the hill so I could get another shot. I believe the broadhead to be lodged somewhere in his spine right above his shoulder on the left side, he was quartering away when I shot. There was also another shooter to but he just did not come close enough.

Guys the Big 9 is much bigger then the pictures allow him. He is a great deer that if shot people will talk about. I truly believe is above the 160" mark which is amazing for any deer. I am off work and will be on his path through Nov 21st. Wish me luck as right now I wont settle for anything less then the Big 9.

3. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow talk about a roller coaster of emotions!! Hope you get another shot at him!!

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome updates everyone...I have no doubt Nick you're gonna get another shot at H&T...Fitz can't wait to see footage from your hunts (hopefully success too!)

Dbl Lung are dogs legal in your state? I'd possibly consider running a dog on the trail...I've heard some tremendous stories of their ability to find deer no bleeding. Unless you truly know he is alive and well that is.

5. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Well today is my last day of work and I will be hitting the woods hard for the next 4 days before I head down to Florida for family vacation next week. I plan on putting in a few all day hunts so hopefully they will pay off. I will be back the following Saturday and will hit the woods again for a couple days before heading to Virginia for their muzzleloader and rifle seasons.

6. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys he is still alive. I have him on all 3 cameras I checked this morning. I'm sure he is on the 4th too. I'm back at him now. 20161101_121540.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  7. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saw 4 different bucks last night. 3 young ones and a mature one. The mature one must have had a doe in the weeds or something because he ran the younger 3 across a cut cornfield after snort wheezing at them. Closest any of them came was 80 yards. Really cool to see. I forgot my binos in the truck so I couldn't get a closeup of his rack. I don't know if I have him on camera or not but man his body is huge. I work the next 2 nights and then I'm off for 11 days. I'll be hitting it hard.

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome to see dbl! Log sounds like a great hunt though still!

Get after fellas!

9. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I finally got on the board!! Group of does came in on top of me 7 or 8 minutes after legal light this morning. Wanted the 1st but she got out of my lane too quick. I was at full draw, and had to let off. When I did, the 1 I shot and another were staring up in my tree. I sat still for about a minute, she took a few steps, and I let it fly at about 12 yards! Dead square on the heart, she ran about 50 yards and dropped. I then saw 2 more behind me after the commotion, and then jumped 2 more while tracking. Cool morning!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!! Congrats on the doe :tu:

11. sgcableguy

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Fitz! 1st deer in 3 years!

12. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome bud, congrats. I am out now in my second spot. Had my stand stolen from my primary spot. Nothing moving yet but plenty of light left

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe brother!!! Get the pics and enjoy the backstraps!!!

I am on doe patrol right now.... 2016-11-05-16-55-28.jpg

14. sgcableguy

Dislikes Received:
    Thx Ty and Rusty, I posted the pics in the scoring thread.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  15. Lung Buster

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I hunted hard the last 4 days with some all day hunts and I wasn't able to put a buck down but I did add a doe to our score sheet tonight!! I saw several bucks the last few days but was not able to seal the deal. I am headed to Florida in the morning for the week and I will get back after it when I get home Saturday! Good luck this week to all!

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Some of you probably know already but shot a big doe tonight and easy recovery.

Crazy part...had 2 shooters within range tonight...one watched from 20 yards as I shot the doe.

17. sgcableguy

Dislikes Received:
    Ty, I just saw your doe in the live thread. Congrats, what a sow!!!

18. sgcableguy

Dislikes Received:
    I hate thieves! Hang in there!

19. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bbd I repeat bbd

20. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior