The "VOID" revisited...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

The black line shows it's impossible to get below the spinal (cord) and not catch the upper lobes of the lungs from any angle.

It also shows how much flesh/meat/muscle/room there is above the spinal cord. The arrow can bust the spine (bone) without busting the cord resulting in nothing more than a flesh wound.

[​IMG]

2. RICHIE MUSIC

RICHIE MUSIC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The arrow appears to be right above the gut sack and it looks like it is 2 inches below the spine . That has to be a low poundage bow not alot of penetration and it looks as if he stuck the second to last rib. And that would be a non lethel hit. That deer will probably heal over just fine.

3. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say that arrow is definately above the spinal cord. I shot a 130 inch 8 above the spine back in 03. I was able to investigate it better a week later when I was able to kill that buck with a better shot. I wish I could upload the pics but I only have them in film.

4. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree that its probably not "technically" possible to go under the spine and not hit vitals, however...I also believe deer shot in the right spot (under the spine) can at times live - thus the "void" or "no-mans land" that so many speak of. We all know someone who has a story to back it up, though from a biological standpoint, its virtually impossible. All I know is they are tough critters no doubt.

In that pic, I would say that is one lucky deer. I don't think its below the spine - but dang I don't see how it didn't hit the spine and drop it - looks low enough. Obviously it wasn't.

5. mddave

mddave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice pic rob.. that put things in to perspective.. never thought it was really that low in the body.. ... i say it was shot with a rage!!!! no pentration..... lol. jus kiddin. dont kill me!!! lol

6. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting pic Buckeye. Thanks for sharing. All I have to say is deer are amazing.

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    any chance it was a short crossbow bolt that barely penetrated at all? Buried up on this side of the vertebrae never nearing the spinal cord?:confused:

8. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That also crossed my mind.

They are tough. In one book I read and I believe it was John Jeannenney's book Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer. In it a study was done on a bow hunt off an island in NY I believe where they autopsy'd the doe that were taken. What they found with one doe was a broadhead scare on her lungs. If a broadhead does not collapse the lungs or cause enough hemorrhage to shut down internal organs, a deer could live from these shots.

9. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Arrow is definitely NOT in the chest cavity. From the angle I'd say its riding right along above where the ribs meet the vertibrae.
    I saw a "doe" one year that came past me in gun season. Arrow sticking out lengthwise like this one, straight thru its backstraps. Here it turned out to be a buck that lost its antlers. Archery season had been closed at least 2 weeks.

Just because you put an arrow thru the back straps (even broadside) it doesn't mean you will cause enough trauma to the spinal coard to incapacitate the deer.

10. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Ryan. That buck Is hit exactly where I thought I hit mine on Monday evening but I was closer to the shoulder and from looking at the arrow angle I'd say mine was much more of an angle going down. If my arrow would've been a half Inch down farther or so I believe my buck would've been lung hit and dead. I still think mine could be lung hit and dead.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  11. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very informatative Christine and Rob, Thanks:cool:
    Thanks for everyone else's input also!!!!!!!!!!