***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's pouring today - but, like headstrong said, supposed to be a nice weekend. Hoping it's better than my last sits! They're getting quite disappointing.

Aaron, that sounds like my kind of luck. Glad you were still able to see something though. Hopefully rain stops so it can start drying up.

BEJ, a very nice public land buck. They never make it large around here. If it has horns it's usually shot in rifle.

2. dsauer22

dsauer22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My season had been **** to this point. Family obligations have limited me to just a few evenings on stand so far. Couple doe is all I've seen so far, but nothing close enough to even take a shot. Hope to make a better effort the last couple weeks coming up

3. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out there after work around 2:30. Going to set a quick stand over a hay field and cross my fingers really tight.

4. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Dsauer, you and me both. I've been out 12ish sits...not a single deer close. Three different stands and nothing. Beautiful evening so far. Only seen a squirrel and wood pecker.

5. dsauer22

dsauer22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna get out again tomorrow afternoon.....Have to help my brother move in the morning

6. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Finished another deerless sit tonight. But I had 6 bearded turkey 20-30 yards away. The nicest one was 20 yards......and our season opens tomorrow. Go figure.

7. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'll be going to one spot tomorrow for half a day and then my other spot that I was at last week for an afternoon sit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Going back to our stomping grounds tomorrow evening. We went there before season with no sign. Husbands grandfather was there and almost got ran over by a doe and 4pt. Hoping for the best.

9. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out today around 11 am and all day tomorrow on my public spot I'm going to grab my cam again to see what's on it this time. I've been seeing a bunch of does and a couple smaller bucks I actully almost hit one crossing into the public last night lol after I left but hopefully tonight I can connect we have a cold front coming tomorrow and a wind shift tonight from southwest to North north east so the bucks will get up to switch beds for the wind hoping I can lay one down.ill let you guys know if I get another nice buck on cam also.

10. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got to my spot at 6:30 to find 3 deer in the field already. Only about 50 yards from me. They looked really big so I thought they might be bucks as they passed in front Of my car at 15 yards. Once I thought I was safe I got out only to hear bucks sparring right over the mound from me. I got my bow and tried to sneak around them since I knew where they were. There was a low spot in the mound and they caught me as I was getting into position. Couldn't see they're antlers. They didn't hop more than two bounds so I bud behind a tree for a few min and watched as they started making their way back to the small opening. I walk back to my car to get a better look and see one nice big buck that was at least 8 points walk right by my stand. If only I was in my stand. My dad said he saw another big buck in bow range of the car when I went to stalk.

Well ended up not seeing a deer for the rest of the morning, so I went to my other spot to check my trail cams and on my way to my stand I found a rub line right under my stand that wasn't there the week before. I Found a couple nice rubs too and the trail cams showed some new bucks...most small 8's and 7's but one decent 8 showed up. One of my cams wasn't working so i lost a week worth of pics. I replaced the batteries hoping that was all it needed. Went back to the spot that i saw the 3 bucks and saw a buck 70 yards out with in 20 min. Made a quick grunt and he came running on a string to 12 yards. A really nice 2 1/2 year old 8 point with huge brow tines...very tempting but ultimately i passed. As soon as i made that decision the wind swirled and he didnt like that at all. He walked away nervous but not too spooked. Hopefully when the rut starts kicking next week it'll bring in some nice bucks. Also found a lot more rubs and a scrape 45 yards from my stand. Solid pre rutting activity and my first deer ive ever called in.

11. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1477806535.897305.jpg

Helped my brother haul this great public land buck out tonight. Just got home from the woods. Great deer. Check out the character on the base! Will be in the woods the next few nights.

12. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Great deer, CJ, congrats to him.

I sat all afternoon yesterday. Had high hopes but nothing moved. It was off on sprinkles. Set up a blind, so it was something new.

Our friend and his wife split up so I'll be helping him Monday with some thinga, hope to get out midweek. Going to be warm again.

13. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys went out this morning and had a very boring hunt. Until about 930am. Heard grunting to my right and had a doe run by with a small buck in tow behind her. Followed by a monster 8 pointer. I'm talking a wall hanger no questions asked. Couldn't get him to stop though. About 30 seconds later here comes ANOTHER buck down the same trail. This one I got to stop at 25 yards. Got heart and both lungs. Went 40 yards and crashed. Not the biggest 9 pointer ever shot but I couldn't be happier about my first buck with a bow. I haven't scored it yet so when I do I will post in score thread. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

14. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats wisco! Bucks are starting to move now.

15. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! That'll score close to 100" I would think. Great first bow buck!

16. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well done wisco!!! Headed to my tree right now.

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Wisco! Nice deer.

With the arrival of Baby Zarr #3 last Weds I haven't been able to get out. Looks like we have a front pushing through on Weds and it's going to rain most of the day. I'm hoping to see a tree on either Thursday or Friday afternoon and a few times this weekend. We'll see how my wife is holding up and play it by ear. The bucks are definitely starting to move!

18. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the baby! Buck or doe? And good luck out there! Bucks are finally starting to get on their feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Another buck added to the clan - Jacob James Zarr. I was convinced it was gonna be a girl, but I guess my gut was wrong yet again. I'm about as good at guess baby sex as I am at picking deer stands. :lol:

20. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would have said you were as good at guessing baby sex as you were at guessing deer sex and I only base that on a video I saw a while back....