climber vs. lock on

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigEv, Oct 28, 2016.

1. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hey guys, hows it goin?
    i've been hunting out of a climber ever since i started bow hunting. now, im realizing how much it has gotten me busted over the years. even if i get into what i think is a good tree, sometimes i just stick out like a sore thumb. and it seems that the deer where i hunt are just more skittish than anywhere i have ever hunted. do you all think i should sell my climber and buy a lock on with sticks? i have experience with them; i have used them before but it wasnt mine. i know i can get into a lot better locations to hunt, and i dont have to limit myself to bare, straight trees. i am a college kid at lsu, so i am on a tight tight budget. however, im sure i can tuck away 200 dollars or so to spend on the stand and steps together. as always, i have my hss on. any suggestions on stands and input on this post would be appreciated. the weekend is near, fellas!
    thanks

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to say but your not going to get anything special with just $200. Your better off saving until you can afford a decent hang in and sticks. Good sticks will run you close to 200 along. Question; how high are you climbing? It could be your not high enough

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can get a Millennium (this is nice because the bracket makes it easy to hang) or Hawk hang-on for around $100. Neither are super light though. The issue will be sticks that don't weigh a ton for your other $100. The Hawk Helium sticks are $100 for 3, but 3 is only going to get you 12ft or so in my experience unless you are really tall. If you add a few bucks you could get some XOP or LoneWolf sticks which are great for run and gun setups.

4. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the field and stream hang on stand from ****s sporting goods.. It was on sale for 70$, also use hawk ranger climbing sticks... 50$ and bought an extra single stick so I can use 4 and get up higher. It works good for me and the stand is comfortable with good size platform. All available through ****s Sporting Goods

5. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    JET.com XOP climbing stick four pack 120 and free shipping, just got to make a account on their website to get the safeings.

I bought two sets of the three pack of the xop sticks and it was 210.
    I'm a bigger guy so I went with a Chippewa hang on stand for hunting the wma near my house.

If your hunting skittish deer like I am get as high as you can.

6. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like a climber. For one most of the time they are more comfortable. Also I live in the south where even some of the thick areas the trees are suitable for a climber. If you live in the Midwest I don't call those trees I call those bushes that you guys are climbing. I most of the time will climb to the first branch and unhook the top of my climber and climb around the first branch with my bottom piece bumping up against the branch. That way it gives me cover. If I'm going into an area where not all the trees are not suitable for a climber I will still take my lone wolf hand climber and sticks so I can use the hand climber if I do find a good tree for climbing but if not I will climb my sticks and hang the hand climber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How did you buy one single stick? Where can I find it? Before I make my mind up on those Rangers, I want to make sure I can get 4 sticks. I already have a cheap Ameristep lock on but I am definitely looking to buy something better.

8. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Kchapman likes this.
  9. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This was my first thought as well. You need to hunt high up with those skittish deer. I learned this quickly hunting Public land!

10. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You don't have to get super high to be blended in imo. Admittedly, I'm a newb to bowhunting, but from my readings, climbing higher can present problems regarding shot angle and deer recovery. You're essentially exchanging the problem of limited cover for the problem of maybe hitting only one lung. No offense.

I'm blessed to be in Southern woods with lots of green through nearly the entire season. Crepe myrtles and live oak saplings as an understory allow me to break up my outline a good bit. I know its a different story for those of you farther north.

Big Ev...if this is your situation, you might need to switch from the climber. Straight trees and little understory is a tough combo!

11. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks man!

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good Advice!

13. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know you are probably want a stand like now, but with patience you can find great deals .
    I bought a 4 pack of XOP climbing sticks from field supply for $169 and I found an XOP air raid on flash sale for $117 at field and stream.
    Don't skimp you want them to be quality and last.

14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I went with LW. They are pricey, but will last a life time if taken care of. I have the Assault hang-on with sticks, and my "go to" sit and climb (13 years old), which I use almost exclusively. I honestly don't think I'll ever have to replace either one. Which ever stand you get, go with quality.

15. Bubby D

Bubby D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the hawk helium xl 12lbs with the helium sticks. Also bought a field and stream hang on with a tree stick ladder. The hawk is awesome, easy to set and comfortable for a mobile hang on set. However if you can leave the set up its hard to beat a heavier more comfortable hang on with a 20 ft ladder stick. The field and stream hang on from ****s with the mesh seat is my most comfortable stand and you can have the stand and ladeer for less than 150.

16. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wish I would have found this deal when I bought my air raid.

17. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    X2^^. $200 will get you a stand OR sticks but not both if you want decent stuff. If you go the "cheap" route you end up with HEAVY equipment & wont want to move it once it's set up. I speak from experience.

18. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed!

19. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I use. I was used to uber uncomfortable ladder stands with tiny platforms and this thing is like heaven to me. Sat in it from 2:30 to 6:30 Wednesday and wasn't uncomfortable at all, coulda sat longer but it was dark. Sat in it from 4:30 until 10:00 yesterday morning.

I also bought the 20' F&S sticks. They're a bit heavy but I didn't buy this to be super mobile.

I bought a climber Friday last week and it was my first time using one. At about 18' I was pumping the brakes and huggin the tree. Took it back Saturday and got the F&S Timberline. I got the stand for $69.98 and sticks for $49.99. The NEXT day they went on sale (still are) for $59.98 and $39.98. Miffed me a bit so I went in yesterday after hunting and got $21.86 back and they had trail cams on sale.

I got a $100 cam on sale for $29.99 plus a $30 rebate. I paid the difference of $15 or so after buying 2 more sd cards and batteries and mailed my $30 rebate off today.

With the climber I spent all the time almost the wife allotted me to hunt searching for a suitable tree. Two separate properties and no good trees. Found one and it was no where near deer movement but I wasted that day any way and decided to test the climber. Glad I did and thankful for my lifeline.

20. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get the ladder sticks that are on sale at ****s right now I think they are 40 or 50 bucks then get a big game or big dog hang out stand for about 50-60 bucks, the ladder sticks are a little bulkier to carry but are 10 times easier to set up and in my opinion are a lot nicer to climb, between the 4 stands I have out I've moved stands probably 10 times this season and it doesn't take much to move them even with the ladder sticks