Opinions on hunting in the rain?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BucKSlayeR152, Oct 26, 2016.

1. BucKSlayeR152

BucKSlayeR152 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's going to rain/ drizzle the rest of the day and right after warm up. Is it worth sitting while it's raining?

2. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Put simply,
    This time of year yes. Hunt if you have the time. Sit in a blind or wear good rain gear. I killed a buck in the pouring rain 2 years ago. It was on a ridge top. Be patient and stick it out. Good luck.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Drizzle yes, down pour, no. Losing a blood trail is not worth it to me.

4. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't got to try it yet but I just picked up a Frogg Toggs rain suit. Kinda want a drizzly day now to try it! lol

5. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, but only because forecasters suck. I watch the radar almost obsessively when rain is a possibility. I have twice had really nice bucks that I passed on because it had just started raining or was about to. I am just way too worried about rain washing away the blood trail.

6. emgepi

emgepi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would. We had this same situation on Saturday and I saw a bunch of deer, including one young 7 point chasing.

I don't know how many varieties Frogg Togg makes. Is yours noisy? The set I bought is very noisy but it comes in handy in the rain. They work great. I just worry when trying to make a move with a deer in close.

7. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed.

8. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah.. they arnt super quiet but if you have a little rain it prob doesnt have to be.. the rain makes enough noise to cover quiet a bit. Also I have never wore them in rain yet.. dont know if being wet makes them louder or quieter or has no effect on the sound they make. I dont hunt in the rain often enough to drop a bunch of money are a top dollar rain suit so I went with the Toggs.

9. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Little bit of drizzle/rain is good but a full out storm..no

10. Bear bow shooter

Bear bow shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^This^,my neighbor was bowhunting the other day and got struck by lightning,it blew him right out of the stand.He is okay tho.

11. w33kender

Dislikes Received:
    I shouldn't laugh but I am. About sharted. Please tell the full story. And how is someone okay after being struck by lightning?

12. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LOL good to see I'm not the only one laughing. Sorry....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Bear bow shooter

Dislikes Received:
    :) honest, he was up in his stand and it was supposed to rain that evening,it wasn't supposed to rain till later so he thought it would be a good time to be out there. He was up in his stand obviously with his back against the tree when it struck, so it acually went through the tree first, entered his back and blew out the bottom of his boot. he broke a foot and arm from the fall and was in the burn unit for a few days. He was lucky to live through it.

14. w33kender

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, that's not funny. But the way you typed that...I could so picture the voice of Cousin Eddie [Randy Quaid] from all the Vacation movies telling the story...kinda like, "Falls in a well, her eyes go crossed, kicked by a mule, and they're straight again. I don't know." [Christmas Vacation]

It's not funny that his child had all those troubles, but only cousin eddie's family WOULD have all those troubles. Kinda' like anyone who'd hunt with a chance of thunderstorms really SHOULD expect to get hit by lightning, being up a tree and all, in a metal tree stand, holding a bow with metal broadheads, and a safety harness with a caribiner that's metal...

I'm glad your buddy's okay. I have a brother just like him. Allllllllways taking chances he shouldn't. He fell out of a tree stand twice a few days apart (a baker tree stand), backed into the same tree in the woods TWICE in a ten hour span, set the carpet on fire tossing lantern fuel on a burning fireplace. Risky choices folks make and the odds they don't beat during their risks can be pretty funny if they aren't killed.

Hey does your buddy have curly hair now? Or is his curly hair straight? Maybe he'll be like Jack Nicholson after shock treatment in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and the next lady who lays down with him will light up like a slot machine and spit out silver dollars!

15. Bear bow shooter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya dad and I laughed too:biggrin:

16. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It depends for me, when I head to Kansas the weather is irrelevant to me. I only have so many days and I am hunting all of them.

17. IndianaBowHunter18

IndianaBowHunter18 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have had good luck while hunting in the rain. I went out not knowing it was going to rain and it ended up pouring while we were out there. Right after the rain stopped we had deer all over us. My buddy ended up shooting a nice 9 point buck and I shot a doe while we saw plenty more deer. I also shot my 3rd biggest buck last year while it was drizzling outside. If it is going to pour outside I would wait for a break in the rain then go out. If it is just a drizzle I will be out there.

18. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my biggest buck to date on a drizzly/raining morning. When I got into the vehicle it was just a bit foggy, but began to rain shortly after I got into my stand. I was sitting there thinking how dumb I was to be out in the rain when a doe jogged by and got my attention. Not 15 minutes later I saw a MUCH bigger bodied deer heading my way on the same trail but the opposite direction. Shot him at about 13-14 yards with my recurve with a virtually perfect double lung pass-through. He was a tough old brute though and went over well 250-300 yards on pure resolve, which the rain made more difficult by washing away the spore. We found him doing some grid searching and I was never so happy. Moral of the story is that rain is a double-edged sword when it comes to bowhunting.

19. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    agreed!!

20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind hunting in the rain...never had any issue. I am taking regular old rain not down pours.