Shooting geese on the ground.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kristian_py, Oct 25, 2016.

1. kristian_py

kristian_py Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello. I'm new to hunting on the whole. I've been firing my bow and casing the areas I'd like to hunt for the last three years. I can consistently hit a 4" target at 30yards (I'm aware it would be different with adrenaline and so on), but still wouldn't take a shot over 20yards on a living animal.
    I chose to bow hunt because of all the additional work and effort required. Not to mention the hope of putting meat in the freezer. NOT to fill it. I've been an outdoors man for some time and I'd like to take it more seriously to have a healthy legacy to hand down to my children besides whatever wealth I may or may not acquire in my life.
    I have plenty of experience with guns. Shooting trap and clays. Targets at 150-300 yards with a rifle. I don't see myself being convinced hunting with a gun is sporting. I'm sorry. Personal opinion. I'm aware I'll likely change my mind when I get hungry and will still struggle with it.

The question I have is one of ethics. I understand that why it's unethical to shoot a migrant or upland bird on the ground with a gun. 100%. Can I ask why it's unethical to do so with a bow? Till I got my migrant bird license I'd never really considered it and now I'm at a total loss. Literally everything we hunt, we wait for the best chance for the most ethical clean killing shot while giving the prey a sporting chance. Is a bow not the most sporting chance for any animal? Is a miss or graze less of a worry when the bird is on the wing? Is an hour long stalk and shoot of a goose on the shore not more of a hunt than the hunter in the blind with bird calls and shotguns?

I've loaded up my jeep and had to stop. I feel like its okay. I'm not using calls. Not using decoys. Not hunting baited ground. Not hunting a nest. Not hunting birds on the water. Just did good old fashioned research on the area and would like to see if I can get Christmas dinner for my family the old way.

Please be kind as I am new. I trust the opinions of the people on this forum and have found a wealth of information on the web show. There are so many different opinions of shooting birds on the ground and it always goes to guns or a series of ridiculous scenarios and anecdotes. Help! Lol. Thanks very much.

2. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see nothing wrong with it, in fact I think there are many that do this. The Hearland Bowhunter guys had a show on it and it looked like a blast.
    Put out your decoys, get a call and go for it, as long as they're in season of course.

3. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will need to check the regulations but in Kansas only doves have to be shot in the air. I was raised that you only shot ducks and geese in the air and was 30 years old when I found out that it was not illegal but just GrandPa's "fair chase " rule. No shame in taking a goose that landed, then the outcome of where the arrow landed after a missed shot or a wounded bird. Nothing wrong with taking a good shot to ensure a clean harvest and good back stop.
    Nothing wrong with rifle and shotgun hunting and have their place in the sport of hunting.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to goose hunt with a bow and arrow have at it and good luck, I think you fill find it challenging to get one and don't begrudge the fact it is shot on the ground.

5. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The question I have is one of ethics. I understand that why it's unethical to shoot a migrant or upland bird on the ground with a gun.

Not true - we pound them on the ground and pound them in the water. Anyone that says what you texted, can't decoy and land birds consistently in the pocket. LOL

I say - HUNT!

6. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We only allow children to shoot geese while on the ground. Even then, we explain that its just for safety reasons so that they aren't swinging a shotgun. No way any adult I know would shoot a duck or goose on the ground or in the water unless already crippled. But, a bow is entirely different. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

7. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO with a bow it's perfectly acceptable and I would do it.

But shooting any bird (except turkeys) on the ground with a gun is a big no-no in my book.